Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-16, 06:38 PM  
sherry7899

help with insomnia, please!

I had been sleeping better for a few months, but now I am having trouble again. Yoga doesn't work, sleep tea does not work, I don't have any caffeine in the afternoon or evening, etc, etc.....

The current pattern is not being able to fall asleep until 1:30 or 2 am, and that is with taking Motrin PM. I hate using medication. I get that "day after" even though it is the same day, headache when I use them.

Even when I fall asleep that late, I still wake up by 6 or 6:30 am, yes, even on the weekends (joy!)

I don't want to take prescription medication.

Being this tired kills any energy I have for exercise.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you !
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 06:59 PM  
Cowgirl32

Have you ever tried acupuncture? It's a great way to reset the natural circadian rhythm.
Old 12-18-16, 07:00 PM  
spotted zebra

I'm sure you'll get lots of interesting suggestions from different people. I'll be interested to read them too.

ETA: I'm starting to second guess my suggestion for valerian root. It used to be amazingly helpful, but even this week alone has been more hit and miss.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 07:07 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
My suggestion: taking two capsules of Valerian 1/2 an hour to an hour prior to bed works wonders. It's an herb you can get at any health store. A word of warning, the aroma is that of stinky socks! But boy do they work. Very calming.
My experience with valerian root is that it gave me wild dreams and while it put me to sleep with no problems, I would wake up after 4 hours when the effect wore off, and with a slight headache. Melissa leaf (lemon balm) used to help me, but now the result it the same as with valerian root minus the headache. Nowadays, I try to listen to some relaxing music or tapes and hope for the best.
Old 12-18-16, 07:09 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Have you tried time release Melatonin? It helps me some.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 07:17 PM  
desderata

I tried melatonin in the past and it did absolutely nothing for me. Recently I found Emergen-zzzz - the same company that makes EmergenC. It is a little packet of powder you can put in hot water and sip like a tea or in cold water and chug down. It has melatonin in it and it really helps me go to sleep. I don't know if the different delivery system makes the difference or what, but this stuff is the only "natural" remedy that has ever helped my insomnia. I found it at Walgreens and CVS.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 07:27 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post
Have you ever tried acupuncture? It's a great way to reset the natural circadian rhythm.
Yes, this worked wonderfully for me. So well that I'd schedule appointments as late as possible so I could come home and immediately fall into a deep sleep. Ahhhhhhhh!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 07:34 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've been taking magnesium at the suggestion of a dietitian for a couple of years. 800mg before. Not recommending, just saying what I do.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 07:36 PM  
Vantreesta

I was going to suggest melatonin as well. Another option might be to try a light box in the morning. Supposedly light therapy can help reset the circadian rhythm as well. I don't have problems sleeping so can't speak to how effective it is for that (I use it for SAD and sleep inertia) though. Good luck!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 07:50 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I had tried valerian root years ago, and it gave me really weird and disturbing dreams.

Sometimes melatonin helps and sometimes it doesn't . I am willing to try it again.

I will look into magnesium. I have not tried that yet.

Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep, sleep help