Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-14, 11:02 AM  
tammy

DDP, Buit, or UY what one....

I like a good face past solid workout. when I get done I want to feel like that was a great workout I feel energized.

So my ?...Buti subscription?, DDP set or UY set?

Tell me why you like or do not like?

I was also going to add in walking/running maybe 1-2 times a week?

Thanks for any feedback:-)
tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 11:39 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy View Post
I like a good face past solid workout. when I get done I want to feel like that was a great workout I feel energized.

So my ?...Buti subscription?, DDP set or UY set?

Tell me why you like or do not like?

I was also going to add in walking/running maybe 1-2 times a week?

Thanks for any feedback:-)
I can only comment on UY and DDPY.

UY--this is a tough program. All the practices on it with maybe one or two exception run about an hour and the practices becomes more challenging as the rotation progresses. Given the duration of the practices, UY requires a significant time commitment. It's a very well designed power yoga program with excellent production values. Lots of people here love it. Eventually, I couldn't take Travis's voice, but the practices themselves are really good. You will see definite gains in strength, balance, and flexibility if you follow this program. It is definitely not for beginners. There is a nutritional component but it is not the major emphasis of the program.

DDPY--The workouts in this set range from 10 minutes (a very gentle one that helps you wake up) to 65 minutes. Most of them are about 30-45 minutes, give or take. The program is a mix of yoga postures, calisthenics, and body weight exercises. In my opinion, and from what I have seen on the Team DDP forum, a significant number of people who buy the program are obese and haven't exercised in a long time (mainly inspired by the YouTube video about Arthur Boorman). DDPY is definitely beginner-friendly and the rotation schedule is good. There is a major nutritional component to this program as well, which you can take or leave. However, without significant dietary changes, the workouts in DDPY are not in and of themselves intense enough to generate major weight loss, especially if you are already fit. I have been doing yoga for years and got DDPY a year ago. It is definitely different than any other yoga practice I own. I still do the longer practices (from 40 to 65 minutes) and find them to be especially good at building strength. The production values are fine as far as I'm concerned (but not on the level of UY). DDP cues well.

There is no question in my mind that UY is a tougher program. However, DDPY is more do-able for more people in terms of the length and intensity of the workouts. Travis Eliot is a long-time yoga teacher; DDP is a pro wrestler who rehabbed his injuries with yoga. His program was designed by a chiropractor who is also a yoga instructor. Travis and DDP could not be more different in terms of their onscreen personas, but I like both of them as instructors (just not Travis's voice, unfortunately.)

HTH.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 11:50 AM  
tammy

I'm a intermediate level....
Looking to loose 10bls or so...and more then anything inches and tone.

I like youga but not the slowwww yoga...need something more upbeat.
Old 09-03-14, 11:53 AM  
Sissy B

Travis has a stand alone UY DVD you could try to see if you like his style:

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Cross-Tra...s=travis+eliot
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 12:00 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy View Post
I'm a intermediate level....
Looking to loose 10bls or so...and more then anything inches and tone.

I like youga but not the slowwww yoga...need something more upbeat.
UY is not slow.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 12:04 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
UY is not slow.
Definitely not.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 12:12 PM  
tammy

Is there a sample of UY anywhere to try??

Old 09-03-14, 12:34 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

The only one I have is Ultimate Yogi. I've only done the 108 days once (when I first got it) and it's tough....but you do work hard and get some nice gains in strength, flexibility, and endurance.

I can't bring myself to do the rotation again (as much as I like the workouts.) They're all really great and have a specific focus, but doing hour long yoga every day is not something I want to do all the time.

I still use the workouts, and sprinkle them into whatever else I'm doing. Cross-train is a good one to try, since you can purchase it by itself.

My DH used to make fun of Travis' voice when I was doing the 108 days. That was a long 108 days with my DH being so annoying, LOL. I got used to Travis and his nasal tone because I loved the yoga so much! It really is a good program.

I would also suggest short and sweet, as it still moves at a good clip and you can get an idea of what Travis is like. He really is a gifted teacher and I like the flow of UY, as well as the pace.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 01:25 PM  
mle777

How much time do you have to workout? I love Ultimate Yogi, but had a hard time sticking with it because many of the workouts are 70 minutes. There are very few in the set that are under an hour. If you are limited on workout time, then despite my love for the set, I would discourage you from getting that one.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 01:34 PM  
Tracyso2

dissenting voice here, but i absolutely loathed ddpy, whereas doing the uy 108-day rotation (minus core w/o and diet) changed my life, kind of.
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote