Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-14, 05:32 PM  
daisyduke

has anyone switched to yoga only and been happy with their results?

I really want to switch to yoga only but I feel like I will lose cardio and strength ability, and I also don't want to gain weight. Has anyone switched and maintained or even made gains in their fitness and weight loss?
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 06:01 PM  
Tracyso2

Hi Daisy--
I don't think I count as a switcher, because yoga is the only thing I've been consistently able to commit to for the past 15 years or so. But what I will tell you is that I lost about 15 lbs doing THE ULTIMATE YOGI religiously last year (I think we bumped into each other on various UY threads last year; hi!), and that not much was budging anymore until I started adding in about 30-45 daily morning minutes of kundalini yoga on top of my vinyasa practice. I'm mostly doing Gloria Latham (shes on myyogaonline), and she seems to be doing quite a bit for my cardio capacity & metabolism. Suffice it to say, I'm a fan.
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 06:04 PM  
daisyduke

Hey tracy... so you are doing vinyasa and another half hour as well?
Old 08-02-14, 08:26 PM  
Tracyso2

Yep...an hour to an hour and a half of vinyasa midday (usually a Travis or a Rudy, either from Udaya or UY or poweryoga.com) and a 35-minute-ish Gloria at the buttcrack of dawn. It's working pretty well overall.
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 08:40 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I haven't switched completely to yoga, but recently did the summer sadhana challenge of 40 consecutive days of yoga. I primarily did 20-30 min classes (online) with a few 1:15 live classes. All classes were beginner level. To find time to do that, I had to give up some cardio and strength workouts. So I think each week I did 1 or 2 circuit workouts (15-20 min each), 2 45 min walks, and the rest yoga.
  • I did not gain any weight
  • I feet fitter - my respiratory capacity increased from the focus on breathing
  • My posture is improved - because of all the work on flexibility, my muscles and joints are more aligned
  • I feel functionally stronger - both from doing the yoga poses, but also I move better because I'm more flexible.

I'm really pleased with the results from placing more emphasis on daily yoga. HTH!
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 09:05 AM  
Demeris

My sister used to do a number of things, including Joyce Vedral.

Now she does power yoga twice a week. She hikes with her family regularly and has no trouble hiking two miles up hill any time she wants.

I'll add that she turned 60 this spring and looks fabulous.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 09:12 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I did the full 108 days of Ultimate Yogi last year and loved it. I actually lost a few pounds (wasn't trying to) and when I look back at photos my arms never looked better.
Old 08-03-14, 10:39 AM  
Vee

The best results I have ever seen was doing heavyish, classic intense weight training three times per week and not-so-intense yoga three times per week.

I liked my results with UY. It is a great upper body and core workout routine and my cardio capacity did not reduce. I missed weights for lower body. My legs really need heavy work. My whole body is in better shape when I work my legs hard, for some reason..

If I were to repeat UY I'd strength train legs with weights on the meditation/mountain day.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 11:06 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I haven't switched entirely to yoga, but I have switched entirely to all low impact, fusionish, flowy workouts (with yoga every other day) from all high impact cardio and heavy weights. I hit 40 this year, and my body just gave out after 20 years of high impact stuff with little stretching or breaks. I had gained 10 pounds in the past year and just felt burned out.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions here, I gave up the fear of switching and just started listening to my body instead of my heart rate monitor. It's been 4 months now -- I've lost those 10 pounds, my flexibility has never been better, my knees don't hurt, my body feels good, I look forward to my workouts, I sleep better, and I just don't feel like I need to eat as much anymore. I don't I'll ever return to high impact stuff or even much cardio at all anymore.

I don't think I've lost much cardio capacity at all actually -- I had signed up for a 10k run earlier in the year, but since I've switched to all low impact, I figured I'd just walk it. Well, I felt great that day, so I started jogging it and figured I'd walk when I got tired. But I ended up jogging the whole thing! And my time was only 4 minutes slower than a few years ago when I was training pretty heavily and killing myself!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 01:34 PM  
daisyduke

I love hearing these stories. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
yoga only, yoga results