Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-12, 06:38 PM  
cmishel
VF Supporter

Bells Palsy

Hello everyone. Long time lurker here.
I was wondering if anyone has had bells palsy and still worked out.
I woke up with it last Wed and only worked out once since then. It was too difficult to drink water. Plus I've been feeling sorry for myself and the prednisone they put me on is putting on some quick pounds.
Do you think Leslie would work?

TIA
Cheryl
cmishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 06:48 PM  
moonbeam31

Yes- Leslie will always dothe trick! Hang in there and keep the faith!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 06:57 PM  
cmishel
VF Supporter

Thank you so much.
I knew the people on this forum would be helpful

Cheryl
cmishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 07:12 PM  
moonbeam31

Lesie is a great one to do, maybe even look into Ellen Barrett's workouts too! She is my all time favorite-look into her Studio and Live workouts! They make you feel awsesome! Hang in there. This happened to my neice years ago and it it faded away.
Tracy
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 07:17 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Best wishes to you. Please remember, any weight gain from Prednisone is temporary. Trust me - I know this! You have the power - let this med do what it needs to do and keep yourself well hydrated, with something nourishing and filling in your belly like oatmeal, bananas, soups and salads.

And those gentler side workouts as have been mentioned. to keep your spirits up.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:24 PM  
Honeydew

aw sorry to hear that. I have a slight case, not noticeable at all, however, mine was caused by Lyme and i"M taking antibiotics for it.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 09:11 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

(((Hugs))) to you Cheryl. I second what Pat58 said about prednisone, and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Walking for sure can be beneficial and is a mood enhancer to boot. Good luck!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 07:51 PM  
Nicole P

I am so sorry..... I remember years ago my sister had Bells after having dental work..... She had to tape her eye shut at night. She stayed very active, and thank goodness it went away. Hang in there!! I will keep you in my prayers!
Nicole P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 08:02 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Cheryl, Seeing that you're from MA, were you tested for Lyme? Two of my cousins have had Bells and it was caused by Lyme Disease although it doesn't have to be. Prednisone makes some people feel kinda loopy so I'd play it by ear but something easy is probably OK.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 09:02 PM  
bee1forfitness

I actually had Bells Palsy about 5 years ago, you're right it's hard to talk, eat, and drink, my doctor had me wear a eye patch on top of everything else. It was a bad 4 weeks for me. I was driving home from a very stressful day at working and my face and the back of my neck felt kinda weird. Then I look in the mirror and saw my face, it was lopsided the whole left side.. I was socked...I thought I must be having a stroke or something, I went to the DR the very next day he put me on Prednisone, I was so upset my Blood pressure went up right in his office he gave me a blood pressure pill, turn the lights off and told me to calm down....I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy for about 2 months. Some recommended Acupuncture instead of Prednisone. Some Dr's said there's really nothing for Bells Palsy but to rest and keep stress level down. My face gradually return back to normal, but it did take my body 2 month before I stopped looking swollen (my whole face..not just my body looked fat and swollen from the Prednisone). Everyone is different in how they react to Prednisone..but for me, unless it's life or death situation I'll never take Prednisone again for Bells Palsy, especially since 2 of my DR's said it really unknown if it helps or not. I did keep working out doing Firm, Turbo Jam.

Stay active, keep stress level down, think positve, and, wishing you a speedy recovery from Bells Palsy
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote