Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-20, 11:48 AM  
kat999

Best source for dumbbells, especially in odd sizes?

I have a great set of dumbbells in weight sizes of increments of 1, going from 1 lb. all the way to 10, which means I even have strange sizes that are kind of rare. I purchased them all slowly over time on Amazon and at Dick's Sporting Goods as my abilities increased, and now I'm looking to go beyond 10 lbs., after years of working my way up. The unfortunate thing is that it seems odd sizes are harder to come by, and dumbbell prices (perhaps due to the pandemic) are skyrocketing. For one thing I can't find any 11 lb. weights, and when I decide to just skip straight to 12s, which seems like a common size, the prices I'm seeing for just basic neoprene-covered dumbbells is upwards of $65. I've never paid more than about $30 for a set. Is this normal once you go beyond 10 lbs.? And/or does anyone have a better source for weights? Perhaps even a set of something like 12, 15, 18, or 20 lbs.?
Old 09-05-20, 01:18 PM  
alisoncooks

In general, pricing used to be roughly 1 lb = $1. But (!!) covid has really ramped up the demand and prices for fitness equipment. All kinds, not just hand weights.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 01:21 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have enjoyed my platemates. They are more expensive now...

https://www.amazon.com/Platemates-Pa.../dp/B000VZWU6G
hdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 04:18 PM  
sjane

Similar to Platemates, I have a set of Pace weights. They're 1/2 lb each. http://www.paceweights.com/products/pw-0200.htm

I bought most of my dumbbells one at a time using a % off coupon at Dunham's, if there's one near you (and if they still have the coupons online or on their email list. It's been a while).
sjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 06:10 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
In general, pricing used to be roughly 1 lb = $1. But (!!) covid has really ramped up the demand and prices for fitness equipment. All kinds, not just hand weights.
Yeah, this seems to be the case.
Old 09-05-20, 06:11 PM  
kat999

Oo, hdw and sjane, thanks for those recs! I didn't even know there were things you could add to regular weights to increase their poundage!

ETA: Hmm, it seems these might not work for my sets, because they're neoprene coated, but it's good to know such a product exists!

Last edited by kat999; 09-05-20 at 06:12 PM. Reason: clarification
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 06:35 PM  
laurajhawk

All my dumbbells up to 17.5 are neoprene-coated. I remember buying some of them at Target, and right now I see 12# on target.com for $18.49 each (that's ONE, not a set). 10's and 15's are sold out there, though! I also remember buying from performbetter.com and Amazon.

I agree it used to be about $1/pound, though I think neoprene was always a little more. They've definitely gone up!

My most recent purchase (last year) was a pair of 17.5's from Amazon and I kinda' wish I'd gone with uncovered metal for those (as I did for 20/25/35). The handle of the 17.5's is very large with the neoprene. It's hard to find neoprene 20's and higher.
ETA those same 17.5's now cost more than twice what I paid for them!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 06:34 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Oddly enough, I found dumbbells in the hospital gift shop where my husband's uncle was several years ago. 7# and 9#. I'd like to go back to see if they have 11#. I found my 17.5# on Amazon.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 09:58 AM  
prettyinpink

Almost all fitness equipment seems to be hard to come by, even this many months into the pandemic. Maybe supply wasn’t ramped up to meet demand since no one has been sure how long gyms would be closed or whether the buying trends would hold out.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 10:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

If you have a "junk" store like Ocean State Job Lot or Odd Lots those are great places to get weights.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumb bells, dumbbell size, dumbbells, free weights, weights