Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-20, 07:42 AM  
Izzy

Good morning. I will join for August. I was going to join for July but the thread got big fast and I hesitated to join so late.

I did do some self care in July and did add meditation. On my daily walks I listen to books and half way through the month I would stop mid-walk turn off my book and pray during my walk. It helped immensely.

So far this month I cleaned my kitchen cabinets and took a large amount of stuff to Goodwill. I have been journaling more the past two months which helps as well.

I am trying to do acts of kindness to others to help with depressing thoughts and feelings.

My major goal for August is to add more yoga and continue to walk away from conflicts with others.

Stay well.
Old 08-04-20, 07:45 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm still struggling to get a handle on my state of mind, given, you know, the pandemic and all that. However, I'm still working at it and have been doing a little better lately, I think. I did a yoga practice yesterday with Jane Adams and will just keep going from there as often as possible. I'm finding some 'yoga' music that helps me focus and eases the chatter in my head.

Donna
Old 08-04-20, 08:38 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've been struggling to meditate for a long time. I know it has benefits that I need, but somehow have trouble.

Lately, my workaround is to call it 'breathing exercises' instead. Several times a day I do four or five rounds of the 4-7-8 type breathing. It makes a huge difference in my anxiety level.

Still haven't managed to return to a seated meditation practice though.

Anybody else found useful workarounds for resistant minds? I need to get back in the fitness groove. (Finally quit the gym. Couldn't see that I'd feel safe on a treadmill any time soon.)
I agree about meditating and its benefits but like you struggle to make it happen. I SO need it though.

Even though I'm retired now and have time to do things I enjoy I find myself with too much time to think about unpleasant things and worry too much. My sister's husband took his life two years ago and she is struggling to come to terms with it and the way her life is now. She had been receiving counseling but quit so now I'm her sole support. We talk daily, sometimes for hours and it's beginning to wear me out. Not that I don't want to be there for her but I feel not qualified for what she needs. I've suggested she go back to counseling but she is resistant to suggestions her therapist made so doesn't want to.

Anyway, sorry for going on and on. I'm seriously going to make an effort to visit meditation again.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 09:20 AM  
Demeris

Many of the studies on the salutary effects of meditation included prayer, which is NOT a clearing of the mind but a calming of the thoughts and focusing on, in Christian prayer, God.

What the researchers have found is that any meditative practice—prayer, knitting, guided meditation, drawing, coloring, journaling, crochet, whittling — these all have the same physiological and psychological benefits.

I'm writing this for those of you who are struggling to find time to meditate. There are other activities that will bring about the same physical and emotional benefits as meditation, and you might turn to them with less resistance.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 09:33 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Many of the studies on the salutary effects of meditation included prayer, which is NOT a clearing of the mind but a calming of the thoughts and focusing on, in Christian prayer, God.

What the researchers have found is that any meditative practice—prayer, knitting, guided meditation, drawing, coloring, journaling, crochet, whittling — these all have the same physiological and psychological benefits.

I'm writing this for those of you who are struggling to find time to meditate. There are other activities that will bring about the same physical and emotional benefits as meditation, and you might turn to them with less resistance.
Very nicely stated. And you are correct that often we forget there are many ways to meditate and it doesn't have to be a guided meditation.
Old 08-04-20, 11:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

DCW and Donna, thanks for the good wishes! I would have some anxiety about any surgery. The current conditions make having a medical procedure even more stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
... What the researchers have found is that any meditative practice—prayer, knitting, guided meditation, drawing, coloring, journaling, crochet, whittling — these all have the same physiological and psychological benefits.
So true! I meditated every morning for over three years and then fell of the wagon. For all the great benefits, it didn't help my insomnia. After tossing and turning half the night recently, I just want to get out of bed ASAP in the morning and have my tea.

I still keep up with deep breathing. I will try to slow my mind and enjoy the taste of food and beverages.

I have kept up with some relaxing, creative crafts that cheer me up.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 08:33 PM  
DCW

I decided to write for 30 minutes a few times a week. I have been meaning to do it and today I decided to take the time. I think I will rotate between reading and writing.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 09:21 PM  
fanofladyvols

Still continuing my nail polish adventures... currently about to showcase Seaside brunch toes

I can't get my attention span for lengthy reads still. I'm thinking of giving myself short reading assignments to see if that will work.

Nice to read people making progress.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 09:09 AM  
Sollamyn

I just got back from getting groceries for myself and my mother and I ran a couple of errands (got gas, went to drive up banking). As I was driving home I thought about how things used to be--running errands at any time of day, browsing through a few shops whenever I felt like it. I really miss shopping and browsing in other-than-grocery stores! My mom really misses it, too. She has been shopping (very quick trips) maybe twice since March. My brother, fortunately, lives near her and he is an early bird so he said he would take her, some early morning, to the store in their town that has been really good about mask-wearing, etc. Still--it's so disheartening sometimes, if I let myself think about those things too much. Living in the present moment seems to be the best way to get through this pandemic, since I long for the past and feel hopeless for the future--or the near future, at least.

Sorry to be such a downer. I'm going to my Mom's house soon and will take a long walk at the farm (my Dad was a farmer). That always cheers me up and the weather is primo!!

Donna
Old 08-05-20, 09:20 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

September is going to be extra challenging. I have an appt. to see about cataract surgery. Very anxious about that.
It will be okay! I wish you the best with it.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
meditation, self-care