Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-20, 03:49 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks for the additional details! good to know she is not on a horse.

so Pony Club actually requires helmet when lunging a horse (working on the ground) because as you pointed out a horse can get excited and kick - I've heard of things like this happening - and once did get kicked in the head when I turned out a horse who got excited and kicked me. But it is much more rare than say falling off a horse and hitting your head! I think you need to consider what you see and if you think it's pretty unlikely that they will kick out around her then most people would not wear a helmet. On the other hand, the inexpensive one is < 50 and if she ever starts riding you will have it and she can get used to wearing it unmounted.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 02:56 PM  
Buzzer

Body Beast Shoulders..DONE!

I loved this! I went slow, rested, and really focused. I skipped the one where you take a weight and twist it around like opening a door knob. I didn't see the value of it, it's annoying so I skipped it. Instead, on the front raises, I did 1-2-3's (single, single, double) for each rep instead. I figured it was a balance. I really felt this though, and enjoyed the workout.

Yesterday LB had friends over. We took home her BFF after church, then the neighbors down the street walked by and she invited them over, so we had them all over. It was fun! They splashed in mud, played in the pool, and just had a blast. This morning we met another friend at the park, and they rode bikes and played. It was fun!!

Now she wants to play with her friend (BFF) again, which is fine because I get something done, but I'm OK with not having friends over!

Eventmom: She didn't make it today to do the training, which was disappointing. We were at the park instead. Tomorrow she gets her hair done so we may miss it tomorrow too. Hopefully we can get back at it on Wednesday. it's just been a crazy week or so for us!

We are out of the camper now. Last night we spent the night back in the house. I have to say I feel like my vacation is over. it was nice waking up, having my coffee in piece, and not looking around at what I have to do. Back to reality!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 06:03 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

cool it off express and 15 min of coregous using the tune up balls. I should add it one more often.

buzzer - too bad she couldn't help with the horse! but it sounds like she will be back at it this week.

hi ebianco!
Old 08-17-20, 07:03 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy New Week

This is my starting over week. For dieting I mean. I mentioned my war on sugar, but I've been stuck in this rut of having to eat chocolate every day for the past few weeks, and it's been escalating. I probably do eat less sugar already than the average person, but it is soooo addictive it drives me crazy. I hate feeling the "need" every day of having to have it. And then it just makes me feel junky anyway, and every time I eat it I have to eat a little more to get that fix. Ugh. I really can't do it in moderation. Yesterday I completely overdid it and made myself sick, and today I decided to completely start over and cut it out for good. Sugar/candy/cookies, etc. So it's a new week LOL. I'm feeling a bit burned out about work and just on edge in general, so I decided to take a couple of work days off this week.

Finishing up from last week, on Saturday I did Firm Tortoise. I notice after not doing this one for a few weeks that I had more stamina to go through it with the same weights. It was still hard, but my energy kept up. So an improvement!

Then on Sunday it was raining, so I didn't run, and just as well because my knee was feeling slightly iffy, so instead I did Simone rebounding for about 20 minutes and then Pure Barre Results Arms, my other favorite next to the Results Abs workout.

Today and tomorrow it is rest days, yeah! And into next week, I can't wait to try another new Cathe since I liked the one last week so much. My DOMS wasn't as bad as I had expected, except for my back which was worked really differently with a heavy band.

Eventmom Thank you for your thoughts about Fitprime Weights First! I remember only liking this one so so too. I was thinking the other day about pulling it out again soon. It's been years since I've done it! My tastes have probably changed since then. I'm glad you liked it this time!

Buzzer Yes I would highly recommend the air frier for veggies specifically! I have made sweet potato (or regular potato) "fries", beet chips, kale chips, green beans, asparagus, eggplant, okra (my current favorite LOL), any veggies that don't take too long to cook. For instance, I prefer cauliflower and carrots much more roasted (closer to an hour) so these aren't good candidates for the air fryer how I like them. For the veggies I mentioned, I just coat them with a little bit of olive oil and salt or seasonings, and they kind of roast up. They don't taste fried like fried food, but they roast really fast and tend to dry slightly on the outside/skin and become tender on the inside, making a really nice consistency.

I am glad you are feeling better from removing gluten! I am starting with sugar first, but would also like to remove all refined grain (bread especially) after I have the sugar under control. Like you I worry my body will demand more grain to compensate for the sugar withdrawal. We will see. I hope to de-bloat soon too LOL.

I'm glad your knee is feeling better too!
Old 08-18-20, 09:17 AM  
Buzzer

P90X yoga, just the asanas (so first 45 minutes)... DONE!

usually I do the whole thing, but really do I do all 90 minutes my best? So I decided to just do the asanas, then do the floor stretches/balance postures/abs next time. I don't want to get overworked like I was before my big rest last week!!

I upped my magnesium because I am having trouble recovering. My legs still have some soreness, and it's been 3 days! Not normal for me. usually I would only feel it 3 days later if I had a LOT of soreness after a workout. But a workout like that? shouldn't be.

So I really focused on the asanas, sweated like crazy, and enjoyed it. I used my weight bench for the warrior 3/half moon pose combination, so it was easier. I also used my yoga blocks for a lot of it to really pull into the stretches without feeling that pain that shouldn't be. It was great!

Yesterday we met LB's friends at a park, then when we got home she practiced violin and her BFF came over. They are enjoying the mud they are making and the water. It was a great time, and I got a lot done in my kitchen. Cleaning, not cooking. I need to start working on prepping meals though! Makes it easier on me, I just apparently don't like to be easier on me.

Day 2 with trying to cut out sugar.... not going well at all. I am struggling, but so far the gluten I am doing well on!! I will persevere though. Day 3 might be a bit better, right?

Ebianco: good for you for starting with sugar. Although it is the hardest one!! I remember hearing once that quitting sugar is just as hard as quitting heroin. I believe it. Although sugar is more readily available! I'm glad you are taking some days off this week. I am not good with stress though, and I know people like DH thrive on it. So I feel ya on the stress thing. I hate it. Send the rain our way! Our fire danger is so high, it's scary. Hopefully the fires will stay in the national forests where no one is in danger though. Clear out some of the brush and dead trees that have been building up, as long as it stays away from homes!!

Eventmom: Her hair appointment is tomorrow, so hopefully she can work with the horse again today. It's the highlight of her day, so I admit I get anxious when we can't do it!! I don't want the lady to just figure LB won't be there and stop inviting her. We will have times though we can't, and that's how it is. Just me worrying about things I can't control is all. I do that!!

So today we don't have much planned. Probably taxes and get essentials at the store. Plus hopefully train the horse.

I snapped yesterday at LB so bad, worse than I have her whole life. I know part of it is the fact that with the pandemic I haven't had much time to myself.... less than usual. DH is swamped with everything he has going on in his life, so I am sole attender to LB. I have been feeling things bubbling up, but have been trying to stuff it down because I know I have to soldier on. I think it just bubbled out for a bit. I yelled so hard at her my throat hurt. It was bad. I NEVER yell. She did need some reprimanding, but I over did it. I was even thinking as I was doing it that I needed to back off, but I just couldn't stop. Then I spent a few hours trying not to cry, so I was glad her BFF came over so I could wind myself down. Ugh. I might try to see if a friend can have her over or if maybe one of us can go to the camper for a few hours so we can be apart. Poor kid. It's not her fault
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 08-18-20, 02:50 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 2.3 day 1 + 20 min DC

this workout went well for a new level - seems like the first few days are always awkward.

buzzer - as long as LB listens to the person she is helping I think she'll be invited back even if you miss some days. most horse people like helping kids learn about horses.

ebianco - I sort of surprised myself liking that FP as much as I did.

you both are doing better on sugar than I am. DH gets groceries every monday from whole foods and yep, I have him get me a sugary chocolate dessert each time!

waves!
Old 08-20-20, 10:52 AM  
Buzzer

Rest day due to injury (will tell ya about it next).... done.
Body Beast Bulk back.. DONE!

So Tuesday evening, I was making dinner. The air cooler was on, and it was making the flames on the stove flicker. The air moves through well, and I noticed the flame on one burner going towards my salt/pepper grinders I keep in a metal tin thingie, so I moved it so it wouldn't get too hot. I went to get the pot off the burner, and without putting two and two together than the handle was facing the same direction that the salt and pepper tin I was worried about... I picked up the pot by the handle and completely burned my hand. Bad. So bad that once LB helped me clean it and dress it, the only way I didn't feel searing pain was if I had ice on it. So I wrapped ice onto my hand to sleep that night. DH got me some burn cream with lidocaine in it, and I slathered that on continuously. It hurt!!

Yesterday it still hurt, and I considered doing the other half of the yoga. I instead took a rest day, since the older dog woke me up about 1:30am and I was up for 2 hours. I slept in, woke up a little after 7, so I decided to just call it a day and rest.

Today it is finally blistered over, most of my hand feels fine now but the lower segment of my pointer finger is one big blister. It feels much better, however I need to protect that blister! So I wrapped it in burn cream, gauze, and tape, and put my lifting gloves over it. I did the back workout, and it was fine! Glad I only had to miss one day!

How funny is it though that when I first was running the burn under water, I was thinking "crap. I hope this doesn't keep me from lifting." HA! vidiot.

I did pull downs on the lat pull instead of pull ups, and stood for the back flies since the shoulder flys, which are pretty much the same exercise, were on the bench. I didn't do the first set as alternating rows with pull downs, instead I did them independently. it was fun though! I further organized my school stuff between sets, and just relaxed and enjoyed the workout.

Today we have nothing more than training the horse scheduled, so we will just hang out and relax!

Eventmom: I think you are right. I think the lady will keep inviting her back, even if we miss a few. I gave LB a big talk about how she needs to let the lady know how much we appreciate what she is doing, and the lady instead told LB all about how much she appreciated LB helping her!!! LB is learning to teach the horse to turn around (LB is leaning into this massive horse while she does it!!), and do a cross over with the front legs, back up, lead her (the horse) then stop when LB holds up her hand, and LB is walking the horse and trotting her around the arena, not riding her, just waving a yellow flag to keep air moving behind her to keep her going. it's pretty impressive! I don't know all the ins and outs of what they are doing, because I am sitting separately, so I don't hear it all, just see it. I'm only about 20 or 30 feet away, but it's hard to hear all of it. It's so cool to see her do it though!

I am still keeping her in the bike helmet for now. The most that's happened is she hit herself in the head with the flag. I think the bike helmet better than nothing. The lady was talking about the difference between the riding helmet and the bike helmet, and I think she was considering what kind of helmet LB should have. She said the bike helmet is OK for now, but will think about it. I don't think any of us know exactly what kind of helmet she should be using for this. LB even told me it's the highlight of her day though!

She was talking about her injuries, and most of them are from falling off a horse. She's been protecting LB by having her step out of the pasture and arena when she turns the horse back into the pasture, so that I think is good. I am feeling better about all of it though, seeing how the horse is starting to seem to like LB and understand she is in charge. LB is also learning how to use a big voice instead of a giggly voice. Learning how to be the boss. I love it!

Anyhow, my long story. I am impressed with it all so far.

So I ended up not taking any time in the camper, but we did take some separate quiet time. This morning too we are taking time apart. I think she is feeling like she needs to as much as I am.

Oh, we went to Chipotles yesterday for lunch. Did you know they have cauliflower rice instead of regular rice that you can choose? I got it, it was pretty OK! Great way to get more veggies instead of grains. It was $2 more, but they didn't charge me. I am very impressed!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 08-20-20, 03:33 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I did Fitprime Strong Bear, the new one with Keli Roberts. I just love this one!! The music is especially great and I love the variety of exercises. I enjoy Keli as a lead too. I have the old one with Tracie too and plan to do that soon too.

Today I tried another new Cathe, LITE series Metabolic Blast. I loved this one! She only used 3, 5, and 8# dumbbells and it was almost like a AWT style cardio with weights. It really kept my heart rate high. I matched all of Cathe's weights and she works the total body with a lot of combination moves. I really liked the abs add on #2 (my PH2 DVD had the #1 abs add on), which was great especially since I didn't really like #1.

My sugar detox is going very well. I have had a few bad headaches and a lot of cravings, to be expected, then yesterday was pretty smooth, and today has more cravings but I know it will be a while before the cravings really subside. But my determination has remained high (despite the cravings) so that's what is important.

Eventmom If you limit yourself to one chocolatey dessert, that's not too bad I say! A book I have been reading (Better than Before by Gretchen Rubin) says you are either an abstainer or a moderator (better at abstaining or moderation) and I really struggle with moderation. That was what helped me to decide to try total 100% abstaining. I just can't have a little bit.

Buzzer I also read lately that giving up sugar is like giving up heroin. I definitely have withdraw symptoms I decided to take today and tomorrow off from work to give myself just some downtime. As I try to stay away from sugar, I am also trying to relax more and try not to stress as much. It's definitely been an experience. But I think I'm making really positive changes.

That is so funny about the Chipotle cauliflower rice. I am glad you liked it! It's funny because I just made cauliflower rice as part of a "tabuleh" salad recipe I made today. Cauli rice in place of the grain they usually put in there. It was also pretty good! It had the right texture and tasted pretty mild.
Old 08-20-20, 03:51 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA hip 2.3 day 3 + DC 1.1

buzzer - so so sorry about your hand! that's terrible. and the sort of thing I do... glad the neighbor is so nice about it but not a huge surprise. If you're big worry is her hitting her self with a flag then a bike helmet is probably just fine LOL.

ebianco - one dessert plus small amounts of dh's very dark chocolate every day! I guess that's still fairly moderate. Keli's strong bear is one of my fitprime keepers!
Old 08-21-20, 09:20 AM  
Buzzer

second half of P90X Yoga.. DONE!

This one isn't as easy when you aren't warmed up. I think I will do a few asanas next time before diving in! My muscles were so tight and everything was hard. During the locust (which I never do) I did forward bends to loosen up a bit. Then during the frogs, which is the other one that goes on forever, I did Childs pose and put my arms left and right to stretch a bit more. I worked out, but I didn't ever feel like I got warmed up. So I think next time I will do a few asanas.

I did like the yoga belly 7. I usually skip it when I do the whole workout because by that time I am kinda done, but I really enjoyed it today. That's a plus for doing the workout in halves!

Yesterday we went to Hobby Lobby, and LB has been obsessed with the little miniature houses. I have a Smaller Homes and Gardens house from when I was a kid, with furniture and everything. I keep telling her instead of getting a new house, just redecorate Smaller Homes and Gardens. She didn't get it until yesterday. I started pointing out the furniture and saying "see? You can use this instead of the furniture in the living room in Smaller Homes and Gardens. See? You can get this china and use it instead of the plates in SH&G" finally a light went on in her head. So we ended up with about $35 worth of miniature things and she spent the evening using the kitchen china to cook, decorating SH&G, and making a mess in the camper.

I put in a movie, laid down on the couch, and took a nap under the guise of watching the movie. I just was so comfy. I got to thinking, I haven't laid down on a couch and watched a movie in probably a decade. I am always on the rocker, usually with LB in my lap, and getting up and doing things for someone (LB or DH or the dogs). I enjoyed it!!! I don't think I have relaxed completely in forever. It only lasted about 1/2 the movie before I had to get up to clean up a mess, then noticed DH was home so I had to go to the house and let him know where we were.. then the busy-ness started again. But for about 1/2 a movie, I relaxed like I haven't relaxed in at least a decade!!!!!

Today LB is training the horse, then we are going to a birthday party to ride horses this afternoon. Day of the horse! HA!

Eventmom: yeah, I worry about the horse bucking or whacking her with her big head. I know nothing can protect her from everything, but I can do my best. It cracked me up too that she whacked herself with the flag I think after the one day where it seemed like everything was going wrong and was dangerous, the lady is being more careful and watching closer. LB has said it's the highlight of her day! I love that. It's teaching her so much too.

Ebianco: I'm glad you are in the midst of your days off! I am doing OK with the breaking of the sugar habit, but by no means am I doing well. I do fine until about 3:30/4:00 when I am looking for something to crunch. I ate about a cup of Frosted Flakes yesterday, not good for quitting gluten OR sugar!! It has it all. HA! oh well. Today is a new day. I like your idea of limiting to one chocolaty treat a day. I don't have a problem with chocolate, but things like whipped cream or apparently Frosted Flakes or a random piece of candy is my Achilles heel! I know it'll be a process though, and am not expecting myself to be perfect for the first few weeks. I seem to be doing really well with the gluten though. I love how I feel (not bloated!) so it's easier to do!! After the Frosted Flakes I had to put on my jammies. I just felt like my clothes were tight. So lesson learned and reiterated for me.

I think the cauliflower takes the taste of whatever it's put in. I did like it in my chipotles and will probably do that from now on, even if it is $2 more!! I hesitated doing it, because I love their rice, but decided to at least try. I'm glad I did!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14