Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-19, 09:14 PM  
Scorpio6

Retro for Q1 of 2020

Hello All.
I'm 71, so I'm old enough to remember when exercise wasn't so complicated, so god-awful intense, when it used to be fun or at least not take up too much time from one's day. So worn out by systems, schedules, measuring devices, circuits, HIIT, etc. Don't know what I'm supposed to be training for, but I hope it never happens. Enough already. I've lost patience. So in the coming year, I've ordered some old, old books and I'm going to be exploring them.

Debbie Drake's Dancercize plus mp3s of her 2 vinyl albums, 2 Victoria Principal books -- the Body and Diet ones, A Year of Beauty and Health with the Sassoons, a small pamphlet type book on isometric exercises (those were big in the 1960s), the RCAF book in Kindle format (I also have the paperback copy), a couple books on fitness by Bonnie Prudden, my listing of the Jack LaLanne home exercise programs on my phone, and I still have my Diane von Furstenberg beauty book that has the Pilates type exercises in it.

I'm looking forward to my "everything old is new again" exercise journey.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 09:26 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Don't know what I'm supposed to be training for, but I hope it never happens.
This made me LOL.
I hope you keep us updated on your old-is-new fitness adventure!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 10:26 PM  
bubbles76

I hear ya. Barring the zombie apocalypse, it seems some systems just keep getting harder and harder for no reason other than to say they are getting harder and harder. I also think part of the reason that many workout dvds aren't as fun anymore is because of music rights. Even back in the day when workouts were still pretty tough, you could tune it out because the music was so much fun.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 12:13 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Amen.

i've been enjoying joyce vedral's videos. straight shootin' weight lifting. many days i lift weights WITHOUT a video - just doing whatever moves i recall from videos. i can get a total body workout in 40 min.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 12:28 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Don't know what I'm supposed to be training for, but I hope it never happens.
I second the laugh at this! Brilliant! And yes, please do keep us posted. What a great idea!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 12:34 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I hear ya. Barring the zombie apocalypse, it seems some systems just keep getting harder and harder for no reason other than to say they are getting harder and harder. I also think part of the reason that many workout dvds aren't as fun anymore is because of music rights. Even back in the day when workouts were still pretty tough, you could tune it out because the music was so much fun.
I agree! I need great music to motivate me. The newer workouts seem to have lousy music and are mostly drills, which I hate. No.fun factor at all!

Scorpio6-great idea! I hope you enjoy using what you have picked out.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 12:47 PM  
sherry7899

Bubbles76, if you are ever looking for old exercise books go to The Book Garden in Cream Ridge. They usually have a bunch.

Old 12-28-19, 12:55 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I agree! I need great music to motivate me. The newer workouts seem to have lousy music and are mostly drills, which I hate. No.fun factor at all!
I've had such a hard time with motivation, dread factor and overthinking everything for the past few months and finally decided to pull out a couple of the original Tae Bo Live Basics. They are just so much fun! I did #7 yesterday and was grinning like a fool when Celebration came on

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 01:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Hello All.
I'm 71, so I'm old enough to remember when exercise wasn't so complicated, so god-awful intense, when it used to be fun or at least not take up too much time from one's day. So worn out by systems, schedules, measuring devices, circuits, HIIT, etc. Don't know what I'm supposed to be training for, but I hope it never happens. Enough already. I've lost patience. So in the coming year, I've ordered some old, old books and I'm going to be exploring them.
Fun post!

You wrote: "Don't know what I'm supposed to be training for, but I hope it never happens."

I don't know about where you live, but we have to be prepared for anything. We get earthquakes and wildfires. I have to be fit enough to (try to) catch the cats, grab our go-bag and haul ass at a minute's notice. At this point, that is a big reason I work out.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 01:09 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I've had such a hard time with motivation, dread factor and overthinking everything for the past few months and finally decided to pull out a couple of the original Tae Bo Live Basics. They are just so much fun! I did #7 yesterday and was grinning like a fool when Celebration came on
Music makes all the difference for me! I am so glad for older workouts and Les Mills on Demand which uses motivating music.

Tags
retro workouts