Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-18, 09:49 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Last night I did the Focused practice for Low Back and Sacrum Therapy from Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow.

Has anyone went through all the sections on this DVD and saw improvement in the lower back overall?
I have used this DVD on several occasions. It is very boring, but extremely effective. I have had a bulging disc (L5-S1) from overtraining on a road bike as well as sciatica (a combination of hypermobility and a bad fall) and this DVD is back magic. I wish it were more interesting, but regular use of the segments when my back flares up really makes a noticeable difference. A heating pad also gives some relief (cold irritates my back).

Twisting quickly tends to cause problems for me and using heavy weights can irritate my lower back. Since I have hypermobile joints, I have been advised to avoid quick motions. Switching to flat and flexible shoes has also made a difference.

I saw that you posted about cardio as well. Do you have a rebounder? I can use mine without problems most of the time.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 10:32 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I've been keeping up with this thread with great interest...thank you for posting!

I too suffer with SI issues/sciatica issues and was unable to do anything with impact or heavier weights for ages without ending up in debilitating pain. Eventually, I started to suspect my issue might have to do with hypermobility in addition to other things (it's been a trial and error learning experience).

As someone who loves loves loves yoga, it was very hard for me to stop practicing yoga entirely in favor of more restrained stretching after regular workouts, VERY hard. But I did that just to see what would happen, and so far, the improvement has been night and day.

I'm able to lift heavier weights (carefully) again and do some impact, though I still prefer to keep things low impact. I'm hoping I didn't just jinx myself and things will continue improving...though I still miss yoga....
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 10:38 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for your thoughts on this DVD, Starbelly! I've been back and forth on it for so long!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 01:01 PM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I've been keeping up with this thread with great interest...thank you for posting!

I too suffer with SI issues/sciatica issues and was unable to do anything with impact or heavier weights for ages without ending up in debilitating pain. Eventually, I started to suspect my issue might have to do with hypermobility in addition to other things (it's been a trial and error learning experience).

As someone who loves loves loves yoga, it was very hard for me to stop practicing yoga entirely in favor of more restrained stretching after regular workouts, VERY hard. But I did that just to see what would happen, and so far, the improvement has been night and day.

I'm able to lift heavier weights (carefully) again and do some impact, though I still prefer to keep things low impact. I'm hoping I didn't just jinx myself and things will continue improving...though I still miss yoga....
I practice yoga daily, but it is very different from what I used to do. I formerly taught and practiced hot vinyasa, but came to realize that the up dog causes my sacrum to move around resulting in twingy nerve-type pains and moving fast was not good for my joints. I now practice slower styles and always substitute when something is not right for me. I subscribe to Gaia.com (formerly My Yoga Online) and there are many wonderful practices on the site (some favorites include Kreg Weiss, Marla Waal, and Troy Hadeed).

After recently rediscovering my Ilaria DVDs, I have started up with some of those workouts in addition to rebounding, Pilates, and barre. I also like Essentrics and Margaret Richard. I miss kettlebells and would like to slowly bring some KB work back in, but I tend to go overboard and injure myself.

To minimize problems, try ensuring that your glutes are strong (MHB's bridge series is great for this) and that your psoas is not too tight. The Yamuna body rolling release is very effective for psoas release as is Jill Miller's "gut smash". The Yamuna ball is firmer and, for me, more effective than the YTU ball. Tractioning the spine with either an inversion table or a yoga swing (see the third picture) can create space that reduces pressure on the nerve and was the only thing that gave me relief when I had a bulging disc.

Unfortunately, it seems that once you have this sort of problem, it tends to recur. Regular rolling and keeping a good balance of front and back body strength can help.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 01:24 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post

I saw that you posted about cardio as well. Do you have a rebounder? I can use mine without problems most of the time.
No rebounder. I have very little space, unfortunately.

I have noticed several comments about heavier weights causing problems. I have found the same for me.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 02:35 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have been experiencing what I think is SI joint pain on my right side on and off for a few months. I can not figure out what exactly is causing it but my latest bout started yesterday after I took a long walk. It is still bothering me a bit.

Sometimes my lifting routine bothers my SI joint although I can't pinpoint what moves exactly are a problem. I haven't been giving it careful consideration however.

I also had some pain the day after the long flight at the beginning of my vacation. Looking at my exercise log I took a long walk the day before we left. So the long walk then alot of sitting seems to have set it off.
I have been doing some research and I am thinking that a leg length discrepancy may be causing the pain. Anyone else have that issue and any ideas on what can be done in that case?

ETA: I do not do high impact exercise.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 08:34 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I have been experiencing what I think is SI joint pain on my right side on and off for a few months. I can not figure out what exactly is causing it but my latest bout started yesterday after I took a long walk. It is still bothering me a bit.

Sometimes my lifting routine bothers my SI joint although I can't pinpoint what moves exactly are a problem. I haven't been giving it careful consideration however.

I also had some pain the day after the long flight at the beginning of my vacation. Looking at my exercise log I took a long walk the day before we left. So the long walk then alot of sitting seems to have set it off.
I have been doing some research and I am thinking that a leg length discrepancy may be causing the pain. Anyone else have that issue and any ideas on what can be done in that case?

ETA: I do not do high impact exercise.
Do you do plie's? There's something in my strength workouts that trigger mine, too, but I don't know what it is. It does seem like every time I do a workout that has plie's it's triggered, but it could be something else in the workout.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 08:37 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I had this same experience with KCM. Love her as an instructor, but those twisting moves just aggravated my nerve pain. Had to quit doing her workouts entirely. I have the same issue with Jessica Smith's strength workouts too.
Same for me with the same instructors! I can do cardio from both,but not strength work.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 08:38 PM  
sherry7899

Walking workouts aggravate my SI joint. Oddly, dance and kickboxing do not.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulging disc, kcm, kelly coffey-meyer, sacroiliac joint, si joint, si pain