Home Fires
Wallander
Prime Suspect
Inspector Lynley
Inspector Lewis
DCI Banks
Page Eight/Turks and Caicos/Salting the Battlefield
DH really liked The Fall.

Another plug for a great non-British series is the Danish show Rita. It can be a bit raunchy in places, but brilliant. It's especially enjoyable if you work in education.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 03:21 PM  
mandie123

I love British shows!!! My favorites are Doc Martin, Keeping up appearances, Last of the summer wine,Dr Who,I can watch these over and over again lol.I need to try to find the others that were suggested!
Old 07-21-16, 04:01 PM  
wendug

Great thread, I love British shows! I just recently binged on the show Humans on amazon prime. It is British sci-fi show that apparently aired on amc but I missed it. I thought it was excellent and can't wait for season 2!
I'll definitely check out all the suggestions!
Old 07-21-16, 04:21 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

I love British shows and have watched many of the shows previously mentioned.

I mostly watch the comedies and murder mysteries. I just recently finished watching all of the Midsomer Murders and Murder in Paradise (on Netflix). Murder in Paradise actually wasn't that great, but I loved the scenery and many of my favorite British stars showed up as characters. I always love seeing familiar faces.

I also just watched The Detectorists on Netflix. It was a comedy series, just a few episodes--and pretty clever, in my opinion!

Donna
Old 07-21-16, 04:41 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpotcat View Post
I highly recommend Broadchurch (first season, really good, available in Netflix streaming).
Season 2 of Broadchurch is also available via Netflix streaming. I just binge-watched it earlier this week. I read that a 3rd season is in the works. The show is just excellent, but there is nothing "fun" about it. It's grim, but I like that sort of thing. It's the kind of show that haunts you for a long time.

Other British shows I like:

Doc Martin
Vicious (Ian McKellan and Derek Jacobi play an elderly gay couple who are at each other's throats. It's a riot.)
Vera (crime drama starring Brenda Blethyn and set in Northumbria. It's quite good and the scenery is wonderful.)
Absolutely Fabulous (I can hardly wait to see the movie!)
Cracker (Robbie Coltrane plays an eccentric forensic psychologist who solves crimes.)
The Thick of It (wonderful political comedy starring Peter Capaldi, the current Doctor Who, as Malcolm Tucker, an incredibly foul-mouthed spin doctor. Malcolm's rants are like arias of invective. The character of Malcolm appears in the film In the Loop, a political satire which is very funny.)

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 06:48 PM  
Sultana

Another vote for Detectorists and Doc Martin on Acorn.
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 07:41 PM  
Bluebelle

I loved the Merlin TV show - the one with the young Merlin & King Arthur.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 09:27 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

BBC's Musketeers!

BBC's Musketeers is second to NONE. Fantastic plot, action, script, characters, music, EVERYTHING.

Every episode is a thrilling ride.

I am going to regret it when we finish watching all 3 seasons.
Old 07-21-16, 10:11 PM  
LizEMA

LOTS of suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
I have been binge watching [...]River with Stellan Skarsgard this week on Netflix and love it, I have one more episode left to watch of season 1. I can't find anything about any more seasons. . .Some favorites that are no longer on are Scott & Bailey, Frankie, and Wallander. Though I just did see that Wallander is on Netflix.

These are some recent ones I've been watching-
Endeavor
Inspector Lewis
If you like Inspector Lewis and Endeavour, I'm quite certain you'd enjoy Inspector Morse. I'm surprised no one mentioned it!

I also thoroughly and passionately enjoyed River. ("I Love to Love" is still in rotation on my iPod. Could NOT get that song out of my head after watching River!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am also curious about "Murder in Suburbia."
Loved Murder in Suburbia; I thought it was a wonderful balance between great storytelling and black/dark humor that the Brits do so well; ended much too soon. If you liked Scott & Bailey, I think you'd enjoy this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
The Fall
Happy Valley
DCI Banks
Hinterland (Welsh)
I agree with these choices. I was going to recommend Hinterland if you are a fan of Wallander. . .I LOVE love love The Fall. (It's about a serial killer, though, so, of course, it may not be everyone's cup of tea. However, they tell the story so ARTFULLY and, dare I say, tastefully; it's SO well done.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Luther. Enough said! I love Vera, too.
Vera is another favorite of mine, as well! Luther was good, as well. (LOVED it the first time I watched it, but, for some reason, I wasn't as enthralled with it the 2nd time I watched it through -- just recently. And thats not to say it isn't a great show.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Grantchester, maybe? I love this one.
[B]Broadchurch
Really like Grantchester. (James Norton is an AMAZING actor; he's in another favorite -- Happy Valley -- which happens to air in tandem with Grantchester. [Tandem in that their seasons have been being broadcast during the same month or two.] He makes me fall madly in love with and want to mary him in Grantchester and TERRIFIES me and utterly turns my stomach in Happy Valley. Incredible.)

And Broadchurch is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Prime Suspect
Inspector Lynley
DCI Banks
I really like those, as well. I've been waiting for the return of DCI Banks what feels like for-EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Cracker (Robbie Coltrane plays an eccentric forensic psychologist who solves crimes.)
Another really good show. As per usual with British tv shows, excellent storytelling.

I was a fan of the following, though, I'm not sure how easily accessible/found these will be as some are older series.

A Touch of Frost
Dalziel and Pascoe

REALLY really like (Inspector) George Gently
I enjoyed/enjoy Midsomer Murders (someone else mentioned it, as well, upthread, I believe)
And Shetland is another EXCELLENT show.
I also REALLY liked the most recent incarnation of Miss Marple, Agatha Christie's Marple, with two different actresses portraying Miss Marple. (I was REALLY partial to the actress whom had the role in the first half of the series, but the one who picked up the reigns was very good, as well. Just different.)
Blue Murder is another show I REALLY enjoyed. I think you would, as well, if you're a fan of Scott & Bailey.

Also, two series that aired their initial (and maybe last) seasons last year that I really enjoyed were Banana and Cucumber. Both focused on the gay and transgendered community in Britain, and they were just GREAT. Funny, moving, poignant, heartbreaking, relatable. I thought it was excellent tv. (Cucumber was raunchier and more crass than Banana, which really pulled at the heartstrings more, but I really liked it. They aired back to back and had quite a few crossover characters.)

Another show, which is a bit of a dark horse and will most certainly not be for everyone, was Torchwood. I'm throwing it out there, anyway, though, because, despite it not being the kind of show I ever watch, I REALLY enjoyed it. It's (one of) the show(s) that really turned the switch on for me and got me hooked on British tv.

I LOVE British Miniseries. The most recent one (both viewed by me AND aired) is Line of Duty. OMG, AMAZING amazing show. The Brits completely outdid themselves on that one. I will say that the first season is slower and less suspenseful than the other two (my partner couldn't get in to it, but he can be awfully impatient with tv shows; just doesn't appreciate the slow build and laying of the foundation). The first season links to the other two, but it doesn't tie in to other two seasons nearly to the degree that seasons 2 & 3 do. The last season had me on the end of my seat EVERY. Single. EPISODE. It was CAPTIVATING, thrilling, and I just NEVER wanted it to end.

Another EXCELLENT one (but older) is The Shadow Line. This is the first British offering that I ever watched, and it showed me how amazing British tv can be.

There were a couple more that I liked, but I can't remember right now off the top of my head. I'll do some research and see if I can't get remember the titles. . .

There are a handful of others that I think are worth watching, but they are QUITE gruesome (nothing gratuitous, from what I can remember) and deal with DARK, disturbing criminals/crimes. I'm not sure they would appeal to you, but if you are curious, I will share the titles with you.

**Question for all you anglophiles and other viewers of British tv -
- have any of you adopted their lingo and vernacular or started using some of their vocabulary? After just a few months of solely watching British tv shows, I started doing that. I say "bloody" about 25 times times a day, mostly preceeding "hell". And, I use some of their other, less appropriate-for-mixed-company words. Am I the only one??
Old 07-22-16, 12:03 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I forgot about A Touch of Frost, love that show! Frost is such a likeable curmudgeon!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binge watch, binge-watching, british tv shows, favorite british tv shows, favorite tv shows