Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-14, 09:02 PM  
Scorpio6

Has Anybody Lost Weight from a Joyce Vedral Workout?

Joyce Vedral does aerobic weight training AWT and claims you can lose x amount of pounds in 6 months time for example just by a regular program.

Has anybody here ever actually done that? Just curious.

TIA to all.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:34 PM  
lorajc

Yes, I am curious also. I also receive emails from her with rotations saying you can lose weight if you do xyz.....
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:44 PM  
m42

20 pounds in about 6 weeks using the Joyce Vedral Fatburning Workout, book not video. That was many many years ago lol.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:46 PM  
JENILU

This is absolutely no help, but I remember someone on here several years ago having amazing results. I am pretty sure she was blond in her pic. i'm sorry. I know thats no help, but I do remember that much, lol.
I've been curious over the years, as I had one of her books over 20 years ago, but I know a lot of people over the years were dis-satisfied with her very unfriendly customer service, and i kinda turned me off to giving her more of a try.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:53 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I used Joyce for many years, around 10 years ago. I lost some weight, but it was more about inches - lost a pant size in 3.5 weeks; was doing basically no cardio and not even working out every day. Her workouts changed my body. Prior to JV I used the Firm (mostly) and cardio / weight intervals (Karen Voight for instance). I still use JV some, but have been using mostly TA since meta was released

Although I heard stories about her customer service, I never had a problem.

Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:59 PM  
Sissy B

Mandy was one of Joyce's success stories. Maybe she'll see this and post more details.

I haven't stuck with any of Joyce's workouts/rotations long enough to see dramatic weight loss results and it has been a while since I have used her workouts, but I see almost immediate results in my upper body definition when I use her workouts (usually after only 3 workouts).
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 02:37 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have 2 of her books and have read a few of her other books from the library. i have heard bad things about her videos! like, they're nothing compared to her books. joyce was a maverick, advocating bodybuilding for women in the "early" days, having been associated with the wieders and rachel mclish. this was pre-BFL days, mind you.

if you did circuit style training the way she does, there could be a cardio effect. in her book, she doesn't mention much about cardio, at the same time, she doesn't discourage it. she has mentioned doing some cardio, but it's not an integral part of her system.

i have yet to do a JV rotation. her success stories, including Mandy's, are impressive.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 05:31 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i have 2 of her books and have read a few of her other books from the library. i have heard bad things about her videos! like, they're nothing compared to her books. joyce was a maverick, advocating bodybuilding for women in the "early" days, having been associated with the wieders and rachel mclish. this was pre-BFL days, mind you.

if you did circuit style training the way she does, there could be a cardio effect. in her book, she doesn't mention much about cardio, at the same time, she doesn't discourage it. she has mentioned doing some cardio, but it's not an integral part of her system.

i have yet to do a JV rotation. her success stories, including Mandy's, are impressive.
ITA. Joyce's videos are awful, in my opinion; her books are where she really shines. The first weight lifting I ever did was with Joyce's books.

Supposedly you can get a cardio effect from her workouts; my guess is that if you lift quickly enough and go through the exercises quickly, your heartrate will rise. I wouldn't call her workouts "cardio", though; it's old school weight training, and it is highly effective.

In terms of losing weight, even Joyce says it's about what you eat.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 08:48 AM  
txfitmom

About a year ago I lost about 10 pounds just doing Joyce Vedral videos and walking. I think I was alternating upper and lower body, doing a workout every day. I did not lose that weight super quick like she suggests though, my body is not that efficient. Probably, you could get better results following her books. She moves pretty fast in the videos so I find I can never use very heavy weights and some of her exercises tend to aggravate my weak shoulders. I am at the point now where I cannot do her workouts anymore or really any weighted workouts. I am taking time to do more yoga, fusion, pilates, etc to let my body heal.

I do like that she has really short efficient workouts, some are only 15-20 minutes. Her workouts are not fancy or have amazing music, etc, but they are no nonsense get the workout done.

Joyce has a package deal right now where you pick any 6 DVDs for $39.98 plus small shipping charge (not sure how much for shipping).
Joyce Package Deal

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 10:16 AM  
withak

I followed one of her rotations about four years ago, along with walking every day and WW and dropped 25 pounds. I used her books way back when, and added videos along the way. I use a combination of the two now.

While I try lots of other instructors, at some point I always go back to Joyce.

Kathy
withak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only