Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 12-24-01, 12:17 AM  
Snowbird

Workouts for Small Spaces- Warning-Old Revived Thread

I live in a 40' motorhome while traveling about the country, and would like suggestions for step and floor aerobic tapes that take a minimum of space. I am an intermediate to advanced exerciser, but have neither the heighth nor width in a motorhome for wide-ranging or complex patterns. Strength training has not been a problem in such a limited space, but I am restricted to only the smallest of steps when it comes to a step workout. Any ideas? (I have most of Gilad's tapes, as the mats used in his beach tapes are about how much room I have to exercise.) Thanks.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-01, 09:18 AM  
RovinUSA
VF Supporter

Hi there!

I live fulltime in a 40 foot fifthwheel! It is so nice to 'meet' a fellow RVer here!

I am not sure how big your workout space is, but you probably don't have opposing slides since you are in a motorhome. My workout area is about 5 by 7 - basically the kitchen area. This area is part tile and part carpet, which is one thing I don't like about it. But, it's still bigger than our first RV

I find the Firm tapes to be ideal for RVing. Most of them use a small area, and you get a fantastic workout with just the dumbbells and steps. In fact, they are coming out with a new step that adjusts to different heights so you can use it for all the tapes (previously one needed at least two different heights). This is a small step, about 14 inches by 14 inches, not a big step like most videos use. I don't have room for one of those, but the little one isn't so bad, and could make a handy step stool if you have those hard to reach cabinets like I do! Step is a good way to increase the intensity without going high impact or using a lot of space, and Firm step is pretty straightforward. I started out with the Firm Basics (beginner tapes), and now do Vol. 2 Low Impact Aerobics (which is actually a total body strength workout and cardio workout in one - some high impact though, but I modify) and Time Crunch Workout, Not So Tough Aerobics, etc. Their new workouts look great and I can't wait to get them!

My other favorite is Charlene Prickett videos. Her low impact floor aerobic videos are very good workouts but don't take up much floorspace. I have to do very little modifying with her. My favorites of hers are Low Impact, High Intensity, More Muscle Less Fat, Start Your Engines, and the low impact 3-pak from her TV show, It Figures. All of these except Start Your Engines have fabulous mountain scenery in the background, which I really enjoy!

I tried Gilad and his workouts are good for small spaces too, though there was a bit too much high impact for me. Kathy Smith's Peak Fat Burning is a short but fairly intense interval style workout that doesn't take a lot of space. I have heard that Urban Tai Chi is another good one, but I haven't tried it yet.

I hope this helps. I look forward to reading your posts

Shelley
RovinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-01, 09:34 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Gin Miller's Intense Moves doesn't require much space around the step. This is an interval workout, and you can boost the intensity in several variations.
Old 12-24-01, 10:34 AM  
Sarah K
VF Supporter

some more suggestions

I don't have a very big workout space myself, though I can sometimes use more of my living room space than I normally do (but then I am not facing the TV). I like Gilad's tapes (Step and Tone, Step on the Beach, Fat Burning Workout), Charlene's Start Your Engines, KS's Kickboxing and Peak Fat Burning (though this tape requires more space, I think), and Reebok Power Blast (higher impact, though). The problem with floor aerobics is that unless you do a lot of moving up and down or cover a lot of space and make large body movements, you will not get a very intense workout. For lower impact, Not So Tough Aerobics is good, as is Tough Cardio Mix. Firm's four limbed aerobics are great to get a low impact workout without covering lots of space-- the light hand-held weights add to the intensity without raising your step. The other alternative is to do more cardio outside-- this gives me a break from my small apartment.
Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-01, 10:54 AM  
Elizabeth Stein
VF Supporter

Wow.

Wow, working out in a trailer -- you may give us New Yorkers a run for our money on the small-space front!

I just did Maximum Intensity Cardio for the first time yesterday. Although I didn't notice it at the time (I'm actually not extremely space-challenged right now -- at least side-to-side) I saw afterward that a reviewer commented that the hi/lo takes up unusually little space for hi/lo, and thinking back I think that's probably true. And the workout is killer (at least for me).

Also, I think Sarah K has the right idea about doing more cardio outside. But I don't practice what I preach, though it would make my downstairs neighbors happy.
Elizabeth Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-01, 11:18 AM  
desie

try kickbox

For extreme space restrictions (low ceiling, 1 grapevine wide, trembling floor boards that couldn't handle bouncing), I decided to give Katalin Zamiar GI Jabb a try. I found it a good cardio workout and you hardly need any space at all. Desie
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-01, 01:06 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Basic Training with Ada Janklowicz takes up very little space, it's about 7 minutes of stretching, 22 minutes of low impact aerobic intervals, 22 minutes of strenght training and 7 minutes of stretching. She mostly use the space that a large mat would take up. Her low impact aerobics can be as easy or as hard as you want to make them.

I agree with Shelley that most Firm tapes take up very little space with the workout, although a lot of them require several equipment changes. The first few classics probably take the least amount of equipment, but some people don't like that they have a slightly dated, late 80's feel to them.

Another vote for Charlene Prickett's step workouts. They pretty much always stay in the general vicinity right around the step, so they don't require a lot of space.
Old 12-26-01, 11:37 AM  
Moi

and now for something completely different...

I borrowed a couple of the BellyDance tapes (the ones with the twins Veena & Neena) from the library, they look like a good cardio workout and they really use very little space... they pretty much stay in one spot!
Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-01, 02:47 PM  
Debs

I workout in a limited space, and I'm always looking for suggestions too.

I like the Firm too, but be aware that they often feature grapevine-type steps in some segments. I do them with a short stride, and still get a good workout. I haven't seen Super Cardio though, nor the newest Firms just on the market.

I recently acquired Urban Tai Chi. It doesn't require much space, though you have to be able to swing your arms 180 degrees windmill style without hitting anything! (it's more graceful than it sounds.) It requires no equipment. It's very unique so it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like it. It's not as advanced as some of the explosive, killer workouts out there, but it can be quite intense if you really put effort into those big movements.
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-03, 08:07 PM  
jbear

Leslie Sansone videos are great, you just need enough room to walk in place, do a few side steps, etc. Great videos!!!
jbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, favorites, small space, thread from 2001, workout space