Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-20, 06:52 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Manleym, my sister, it is so good to hear somebody else feels like I do about those moves! That's it, from now on, I'm taking your mods and using them where needed!

KateTT, that's awesome about Cathe step! You'll have to let me know when you attempt the original Imax because I have it now, haven't done it in a billion years and am kinda skeered for it too! I sure won't be doing it on an 8-inch step like they do when I attempt it! And you're making me want Circuit Max, you and Kim...STOP IT!!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 07:27 PM  
fanofladyvols

Kittybug you poor thing!! Big High five for muscling through anyway!! Thanks for letting me know you may hang here with GS. I actually think I may switch to Pure strength next week. Then some randoms and then Slow and heavy.

Kate well toning my butt is heckuva motivation for me to keep plodding along learning... albeit with my mods I don't have MIC. But I did think about just doing the workouts on that DVD (PH and Body Max) with some stretchy yoga and easy cardio. Anyway that's where I think I'm headed in a few weeks.

Manley I never thought I was strong enough for tough splits. I had always done them with Tamilee but then over time just ended up doing Firm and circuit type workouts. I'm kind of proud I'm challenging myself like this way.

Today I switched things up to doing only the floorwork in Gym Styles legs with Lean Legs and Abs Timesaver premix #2. Love it. My whole outer thighs and quads were worked. Then I finished off the hammies and inner thighs with GS floorwork. My entire legs have been thoroughly taught a lesson!

Love knowing these workouts well enough to know what goes well with what.

Tomorrow is Tracie Core movements and yoga. Friday I'll be back with more GS BSB.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 11:13 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Kittybug you poor thing!! Big High five for muscling through anyway!! Thanks for letting me know you may hang here with GS. I actually think I may switch to Pure strength next week. Then some randoms and then Slow and heavy.

Kate well toning my butt is heckuva motivation for me to keep plodding along learning... albeit with my mods I don't have MIC. But I did think about just doing the workouts on that DVD (PH and Body Max) with some stretchy yoga and easy cardio. Anyway that's where I think I'm headed in a few weeks.

Manley I never thought I was strong enough for tough splits. I had always done them with Tamilee but then over time just ended up doing Firm and circuit type workouts. I'm kind of proud I'm challenging myself like this way.

Today I switched things up to doing only the floorwork in Gym Styles legs with Lean Legs and Abs Timesaver premix #2. Love it. My whole outer thighs and quads were worked. Then I finished off the hammies and inner thighs with GS floorwork. My entire legs have been thoroughly taught a lesson!

Love knowing these workouts well enough to know what goes well with what.

Tomorrow is Tracie Core movements and yoga. Friday I'll be back with more GS BSB.
Fanofladyvols, I really only got 'back on the horse' to ensure I hadn't injured myself seriously. I figured if I could power through the rest of it, I couldn't be that hurt! But I also did it since it's the second time I've fallen doing that workout and I didn't want it to be something I was afraid to do ever again, so back up I went, bruises and all, hah!

I'm loving your mish-mosh creations, you and Manleym! And ohhh, you know, I think I need to acquire Slow and Heavy. It's been on my radar lately now that I've discovered I'm enjoying these splits. Maybe I need Pure Strength too....I don't know. How do those series compare to the Gym Styles, in your opinion?
Old 02-20-20, 02:26 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
So Circuit Max was fun! I read some negative reviews and was afraid I'd have a dud workout but no...it was good. A bit of a space hog on some moves, but not as bad as some of the reviews said.
Definitely more of a cardio workout with each set consisting of 5 minutes of cardio then 2 minutes of compound strength work. The pace between exercises is fairly fast but I never felt rushed. Some impact but not bad. Half the cardio is floor, half is step. The weight work is fast with lots of reps. Cathe uses 5s and 8s. I used 8s and 10s. Good all plank core work. Just planks on the elbows and planks on the hands.

NOTE: Cathe's step workouts are really starting to tone up my legs and butt! I had kind of avoided step workouts because I much prefer floor cardio or mostly kickboxing for cardio. But revisiting some of Cathe's step workouts have been great! My goals are to get through all the Imax workouts.
Thanks for the update, KateTT! Glad CM isn't a dud! I'll look forward to doing it now! And great news about your legs and derriere toning up! I NEED THAT! I've really noticed over the past several years that I'm losing muscle tone, especially in my thighs. No matter what type of workout I do - running, HiiT, metabolic, kickbox - my legs just aren't as tone as they were 25 years ago! (or even 5 years, or 2...) Hopefully adding lower body splits and more step will help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Manleym, my sister, it is so good to hear somebody else feels like I do about those moves! That's it, from now on, I'm taking your mods and using them where needed!
I get you Kittybug!! We're in this TOGETHER, sista!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

Today I switched things up to doing only the floorwork in Gym Styles legs with Lean Legs and Abs Timesaver premix #2. Love it. My whole outer thighs and quads were worked. Then I finished off the hammies and inner thighs with GS floorwork. My entire legs have been thoroughly taught a lesson! Love knowing these workouts well enough to know what goes well with what.
I never thought I was strong enough either! I've always done circuits too. Started with The Firm and went on from there. It's nice to know we can, and actually like, some of these splits!

I love your custom workout, Fanofladyvols! Great reminder about LL&A! I love it too! The "no name" series has some of my favorite workouts! Great music, great moves - they're just plain fun!
And it is nice to know these workouts well enough that we can customize and tailor them to suit our needs for a particular day.

Quote:
And ohhh, you know, I think I need to acquire Slow and Heavy. It's been on my radar lately now that I've discovered I'm enjoying these splits. Maybe I need Pure Strength too....I don't know. How do those series compare to the Gym Styles, in your opinion?
Yes, you NEED Slow and Heavy! I just recently bought it, so you need it too Kittybug!! You also need Pure Strength, and Circuit Max/Cardio Kicks. JUST CUZ!! :

I haven't done S & H yet and it's been a long time since I've done PS, but I remember liking it. I'll be interested to hear our other fierce friends comparison of these to GS.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 03:35 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Not to enable, but I LOVE Slow & Heavy. The thing that gets me is that Cathe does not go heavy. I am assuming she had filmed a lot of workouts that day and didn't have the strength. Aside from that, if you use your own weights selection, it's an awesome slow-mo heavy strength workout. And a great split.

I used to not like doing splits but now I love them! More time to hit the muscles instead of doing total body. Even though I like those too. ;-)

Kittybug: I think I'm just going to start with Imax and work my way thru them. And NOT at 8 inches either.

Linda: GREAT way to mix things up! I think you're doing great!

Manley: Two things I know about myself. When I do a lot of kickboxing, my shoulders get more defined. When I do more step, the legs and butt get it. Makes sense since you're stepping up and down and up and down......

Today I focused on just a bodyweight workout so I did Group Rx Boot #4. Includes strength work, balance, stretching and cardio in the whole workout with just bodyweight. Good change of pace but back to Cathe tomorrow. I think I'll do MIS again, just to bookend my week.

Hello to everyone..sorry if I missed anyone....HUGS

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 05:32 PM  
Mickey12

Linda - I forget that some people describe the choreography as hard when describing a Cathe step workout like IMAX. I find the blasts incredibly hard and have to modify the heck out of those but the rest of the workout is pure fun to me. Love it.

Kitty bug, so sorry that you got hurt. Sometimes when I slip or kick the step or whatever I make a huge racket. My husband yells in to me to make sure I’m ok. He’s such a keeper!

I think I am going to do the floor portion of Maximum Intensity Cardio tonight. That’s an oldie for sure.

I love the motivation I’m getting from this thread. Lately I have been sort of slacking and choosing easier workouts. This is a fun, great kick in the pants! Enjoy everyone!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 06:53 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I did Cardio Core Circuit today and holy moly, that was REALLY HARD. Maybe I'm just tired today, but it felt kind of like Tabatacise Light!

And you ENABLERS, all of you!!! UG, so I have Slow and Heavy, Pure Strength, and the RWH upper body splits that I also don't yet have all on my wish list at Mary's, waiting for her next sale or for someone to list them as trades or for sale!

Manleym and fanofladyvols, me too, started with the Firm and went from there, always preferred total body workouts or circuits. I read some old thread on Cathe's forum where the poster did a wonderful job of explaining strength training progression and how you eventually do want to work with splits to spend enough quality time building muscle. It made perfect sense to me and I understand I probably wasn't ready for them before! Not that I'm advanced now, but I think I'm at least much stronger than I was!

KateTT, just FYI, to me Imax 2 is SUCH fun...it's hard but not as hard as Imax 3 and it has more of a fun factor to me somehow! Actually, I feel that way about the Intensity Series in general, it really holds a special place in my heart!

Kim, good luck with MIC! I still haven't ventured there yet, hah!

So I think I'll do one more week using the Gym Styles like I have been, mixed with some more of the Shock Cardio. Then the week after that, because I haven't yet gotten to use Muscle Max which I love, I'm going to start transitioning into the sash series but will incorporate Muscle Max and MIS and maybe some other older ones I haven't yet used much, because that sash series is pretty cardio heavy.
Old 02-20-20, 07:59 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
I did Cardio Core Circuit today and holy moly, that was REALLY HARD. Maybe I'm just tired today, but it felt kind of like Tabatacise Light!

And you ENABLERS, all of you!!! UG, so I have Slow and Heavy, Pure Strength, and the RWH upper body splits that I also don't yet have all on my wish list at Mary's, waiting for her next sale or for someone to list them as trades or for sale!

Manleym and fanofladyvols, me too, started with the Firm and went from there, always preferred total body workouts or circuits. I read some old thread on Cathe's forum where the poster did a wonderful job of explaining strength training progression and how you eventually do want to work with splits to spend enough quality time building muscle. It made perfect sense to me and I understand I probably wasn't ready for them before! Not that I'm advanced now, but I think I'm at least much stronger than I was!

KateTT, just FYI, to me Imax 2 is SUCH fun...it's hard but not as hard as Imax 3 and it has more of a fun factor to me somehow! Actually, I feel that way about the Intensity Series in general, it really holds a special place in my heart!

Kim, good luck with MIC! I still haven't ventured there yet, hah!

So I think I'll do one more week using the Gym Styles like I have been, mixed with some more of the Shock Cardio. Then the week after that, because I haven't yet gotten to use Muscle Max which I love, I'm going to start transitioning into the sash series but will incorporate Muscle Max and MIS and maybe some other older ones I haven't yet used much, because that sash series is pretty cardio heavy.
Kittybug I was going to do Cardio Core Circuit too but I thought you had changed your mind. Max Intensity Cardio was such fun! Tough, but fun. I modified some of the high impact because I just can’t keep the intensity that high, gasping for breath. I love the knees up and over and the lunge back combo moves. Great old school aerobics. So maybe tomorrow night I will do Cardio Core Circuit if I’m not too tired.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 08:07 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Kittybug I was going to do Cardio Core Circuit too but I thought you had changed your mind. Max Intensity Cardio was such fun! Tough, but fun. I modified some of the high impact because I just can’t keep the intensity that high, gasping for breath. I love the knees up and over and the lunge back combo moves. Great old school aerobics. So maybe tomorrow night I will do Cardio Core Circuit if I’m not too tired.

Kim
CCC is definitely fun but just felt so hard! I modified in two places to play it safe with my still bruised and sore knee and back, and even then, I was still gasping for breath! Let me know what you think if you do it tomorrow!
Old 02-20-20, 08:11 PM  
fanofladyvols

Kate thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate how you do that and give so much great advice. I looked up a clip of MIC. It looks fun! I will add to my wishlist.

Kim these ladies are whipping me into shape! I invited myself and Manley and we have just let Kittybug throw a kick your butt party!

I'm so glad you find it motivating, too. Yeah, I'm a klutz so it takes me longer to get choreo that others say is easy to pick up, lol. But I make up for it in modifications, sheer willpower and practice!!

Kittybug I LOVE LOVE Muscle Max. I like your plan too. We will probably have some similar workouts even with me doing Pure Strength. I found a rotation that I plan to follow:

Pure strength plus MIS
only one body part per day

Day 1 - PS Back/MIS Back
Day 2 - PS Chest/MIS Chest plus Kick max workout
Day 3 - PS Legs and Abs, Butts and guts bonus
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - PS Shoulders/MIS Shoulders
Day 6 - PS Biceps/MIS Biceps plus cardio portion of Body Max
Day 7 - PS Triceps/MIS triceps plus cardio

If it's too much, I'll leave MIS off. If I really like it, then I may repeat for one more week.

I have never done pure strength but I think having just done gym Styles it will be a good time to compare.

Manley it's been awhile since I have done slow and heavy but I feel like I liked only the upper body workouts and not the lower body. Give me a heads up if you decide to do it anytime. And LOL enabling! I'm relieved your powers are weak against me since I already have them

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, cathe, cathe rotation, cathe rotation checkin, cathe rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety, watulan check-in