Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-16, 06:13 PM  
daisyduke

As I approach 40 I don't recover like I used to...

Anyone else dealing with this? I used to Be able to exercise like crazy but now I don't recover like I used to. I easily overtrain and it sometimes takes a day or two to recover from a hard workout. Is anyone else noticing this?
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 06:23 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Anyone else dealing with this? I used to Be able to exercise like crazy but now I don't recover like I used to. I easily overtrain and it sometimes takes a day or two to recover from a hard workout. Is anyone else noticing this?
It only gets worse. There is a reason that turning 40 is called "Being Over the Hill."
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 06:27 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
It only gets worse. There is a reason that turning 40 is called "Being Over the Hill."
Does it ever! I turned 60 last week and my workouts have certainly changed for those I did in my 30's and 40's.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 07:12 PM  
desderata

Yes, it's very common. I work out 6-7 days a week and I prefer total body weight workouts over splits. Where I used to alternate cardio and weights days I now leave two full days between weight workouts. I do cardio on those days. I mix up intervals with steady state cardio. I also think stretching helps with the recovery.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 07:23 PM  
bubbles76

Yes, only I didn't recognize it was happening to me . Probably a few months before I turned 40.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 07:43 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Meh. I think it varies from person-to-person, their present state of health and other life circumstances.

Personally, I haven't noticed any difference in my physical stamina and ability to recover from hard workouts when I turned 40, or even 50. I could do some pretty strenuous workouts back then, and I recovered pretty quickly from any injuries - if any. Nowadays however, I still can do hard work outs, but I don't enjoy them much anymore.

I'm a decade older now, and while I did notice a slight decrease in my energy level over the past 1-2 years, I still work out 5-6 days per week to different instructors, but now I'm more into doing workouts that feel good and keep me healthy and flexible. Being sore and getting injured is just not on my agenda anymore. Normal progession in life. 40 is definitely NOT "Being Over the Hill"!
Old 10-21-16, 07:47 PM  
Tanja

I used to think I would be pretty much immune to much of the aging process just because I ate healthy, rest when needed, and addressed all aspects of physical fitness - now at age 48, I realize, I am not so immune .

No matter what we do, we will all age, our arteries will harden, our heart rate will decrease and injuries will take longer to heal. Our bodies and mind will eventually fail no matter how healthy we live and it is OK. It is supposed to be this way - 'How we die, Sherwin Nuland'.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 08:47 PM  
desderata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
No matter what we do, we will all age, our arteries will harden, our heart rate will decrease and injuries will take longer to heal. Our bodies and mind will eventually fail no matter how healthy we live and it is OK. It is supposed to be this way - 'How we die, Sherwin Nuland'.
True, but we as a society are in denial about this. I was reading about this the other day, and how the fear of death drastically affects our lives - from obsession with anti-aging treatments and cosmetic surgery to distaste for the elderly because they remind us of our own mortality, etc.

ETA: I agree that 40 isn't even close to over the hill. You might just need to make some adjustments and do some things differently.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 09:12 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

The wheels definitely started to come off around 40! Seriously, it was bizarre. I never had any issues until I turned 40, then I started developing all kinds of things here and there. In some respects, I am still as fit as I used to be. I can still do a lot of challenging workouts. And some old videos I used to do 20 years ago are not as hard as I remember them being! But I definitely need to put more time in between hard workouts. I no longer do tough workouts on back-to-back days. I am more mindful of self-care practices now. Before I didn't even think of those things.

I don't think it's a bad thing, even, it's just a different season of life. I had bought into that lie that if I just keep working out and eating well, I could defy the aging process, but it still happens. I'm sure it's better with good nutrition and exercise, but we're all still aging.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 09:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I was pretty bulletproof until I hit 50. Then came PF, cranky knees, and lately, a cranky hip. I've given up running, gone low impact, and I do LOTS of stretching. I just turned 59.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging