Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-16, 02:35 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I suffered from IBS a few years ago and was told by my doctor to take a daily probiotic. My digestive issues, for the most part, are a thing of the past. I can even eat foods that I had problems with.
Hi there, can ypu please let me know the name of the probiotic, via PM? Thanks so much!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 07:32 AM  
mandie123

ExerciseDiva-I would also like to know the name of the probiotic?If you could pm me too.Thanks
Old 10-21-16, 09:51 AM  
violingal3

I also recommend taking a probiotic! Funny how I only really learned about them last year. They have changed my life, I will never go without one!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 10:02 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'd also like to know what probiotic you're taking. I have tried many....nothing seems to impact my digestive issues.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 11:10 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I went to see a dietician today and she told me about the Monash University Low FODMAP Diet App. It is pricey for an app ($9 for Android) but I think I am going to find it is worth it. There is a database of foods organized by category and it uses a traffic light system. Green is good to eat, yellow means it may cause problems and red is not recommended. However if you click on a food labeled red, it will tell you if a small portion is OK. You can add foods to a shopping list that is part of the app.

There is a section with information about IBS and the diet. There are recipes. So far the ones I have seen are nothing to write home about-one is for vegemite on toast! Really one needs a recipe to spread vegemite on toast?? LOL. Vegemite is an Australian thing. Don't understand the appeal myself but whatever floats your boat. Funny thing is before I saw the "recipe" my husband asked if Vegemite is low FODMAP. He was just being funny because of the Australia connection.

The other neat thing about the app is the 1 week trial. It is basically a way to record the foods you consume and your symptoms. At the end of the 7 days it graphs your GI Symptoms and your food intake is summarized. I just got the app and haven't used it yet but it looks like it will be very useful.

BTW, I started this a few days ago and despite not being 100% compliant am seeing a lot of improvement in reduction of my symptoms already. I also started Probiotics but I am pretty sure the diet is the ticket.
I also follow the low FODMAP diet and it has essentially controlled my IBS, my GI doc has released me from routine visits. Probiotics did not/do not help me, they typically make my sick. Even the expensive $50 one that Dr.s love to recommend. So I highly suggest considering this diet if you have IBS type symptoms. I don't have the app, but leslie maybe I'll go get it now.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 03:53 PM  
videofit

Take digestive enzymes with each meal and a probiotic.
Old 10-21-16, 06:46 PM  
tamib

Exercise Diva would you please pm me the name of the probiotic also, I've tried a few but they didn't seem to help.
Thanks.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 07:20 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
I also follow the low FODMAP diet and it has essentially controlled my IBS, my GI doc has released me from routine visits. Probiotics did not/do not help me, they typically make my sick. Even the expensive $50 one that Dr.s love to recommend. So I highly suggest considering this diet if you have IBS type symptoms. I don't have the app, but leslie maybe I'll go get it now.
Update: I was doing pretty well on the diet but then had a major "episode" despite being compliant. Totally freaked me out- I was afraid to leave the house. So back to the gastroenterologist. She said that she never told me my microscopic colitis was gone. She said according to the most recent biopsy the more severe variety (collagenous) was gone-I misunderstood. Based on my current symptoms she thinks I still have the collagenous type despite the biopsy results which really are only indicative of the area sampled. It is a condition that doesn't completely go away. She put me on Lotronex which is approved for IBS with diar. in women only. She said that although the diet will help because many people have trouble with lactose and the other FODMAPs it is not enough for me because I have microscopic colitis. It has no FDA approved medication. So what I am on is off-label. It is helping but I still need to watch my diet although I have more leeway than before.
A word to the wise: Avoid strong (prescription strength) NSAIDs. It can set off digestive issues. My prroblems started about a month after I had a back injury for which I was taking prescription strength Aleve. I didn't associate the two until my gastro doctor told me.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 10:25 PM  
beanpeanut

I use digestive enzymes too and it does really help me, the probiotics never did. I bloat terribly when I drink coffee, soda and when I eat cheese, sour cream or regular milk, I buy lactose free now but cheese is my vice. It seems when I eat eggs too many days in a row, I get cramps and the die,die, I'm for sure sensitive to them, scrambled seems to be easier on my tummy.

Add on: MSG is also a killer on the tummy, Chinese food, soups, sauces, salad dressing, on and on. Too much and its toiletville.
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 05:27 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

lreidgreen - so sorry you have a bad episode! I know how frustrating that is. I will occasionally have a problem but the prescription meds and being carefully and it will resolved. I don't have colitis so clearly that makes it much more difficult. You might get the book "change your carbs, change your life" she goes into more details about the FODMAP diet - there are 6 categories, some really don't bother me at all (grains) but others are big problems (fruit, legumes) and she also talks about combinations - if I combine wheat and cheese, yikes, so anyway. Sorry that happened.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digestive issues, ibs, sibo, stomach