Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-16, 08:50 AM  
Exercise Diva

I also suggest a probiotic. It made a whole world of difference for me. I've had problems with digestive enzymes (causes a burning sensation in my stomach but I'm also take meds for headaches and I've been told that that can cause issues with digestive enzymes). My husband has had luck taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with the mother in a glass of water a half hour before he eats.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 05:05 PM  
videofit

Years ago I couldn't understand why I had diarrhea for a long period of time. Then I realized I had been taking magnesium supplements.
Old 08-29-16, 05:27 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

the absolute WORST experience I had with this was when it was so bad i took an anti diarrhea pill only to discover the filler for the pill was.....soy

for years I had no idea what the problem was
had to do one of those elimination diets
Old 08-30-16, 05:59 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I've had IBS/colitis issues all my life. It's in the family (my mom has Crohn's disease) so it's something I'm always trying to keep under control.

I tend to alternate diarrhea and constipation - I'm honestly not quite sure which one is worse!

Certain foods can trigger an upset (I love apples, but my intestines don't! Go figure...). I take a probiotic on a daily basis.

But honestly the one thing that has helped me so much over the last 7 years is a powder fiber that I take every morning in a glass of water. Here's the link for anyone who is curious - http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/?gcli...FUIfhgod4G4MCg

All I can say is that it has worked wonders for me, has kept my bowels from going from one extreme to another and I would say I'm about as "normal" intestine-wise as I'm ever going to get.

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 12:10 PM  
seww

Terri
Would you link to the specific item please? The link you provided is a page of varying products.
Thanks!
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 06:19 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I added the link to it on Amazon if that helps!

https://www.amazon.com/Heathers-Tumm...27s+tummy+care

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 09:13 AM  
SpiritYogi

I've had digestive issues ever since I was a child. I was finally diagnosed with celiac disease and (later) as lactose intolerant. I like to keep up on this topic though because my digestive system is so sensitive and issues will crop up from time to time for no apparent reason, even following a strict diet. One book / web site I suggest is 'Trust Your Gut'. The author suffered for years with digestive issues and has a lot of great insight and suggestions.

http://trustyourgut.com/
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 11:49 AM  
mandie123

I've also always had digestive prob,but mine is usually bad constipation with severe stomach pain. I just started keeping a food diary,hoping that helps.
Old 09-05-16, 09:04 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I went to see a dietician today and she told me about the Monash University Low FODMAP Diet App. It is pricey for an app ($9 for Android) but I think I am going to find it is worth it. There is a database of foods organized by category and it uses a traffic light system. Green is good to eat, yellow means it may cause problems and red is not recommended. However if you click on a food labeled red, it will tell you if a small portion is OK. You can add foods to a shopping list that is part of the app.

There is a section with information about IBS and the diet. There are recipes. So far the ones I have seen are nothing to write home about-one is for vegemite on toast! Really one needs a recipe to spread vegemite on toast?? LOL. Vegemite is an Australian thing. Don't understand the appeal myself but whatever floats your boat. Funny thing is before I saw the "recipe" my husband asked if Vegemite is low FODMAP. He was just being funny because of the Australia connection.

The other neat thing about the app is the 1 week trial. It is basically a way to record the foods you consume and your symptoms. At the end of the 7 days it graphs your GI Symptoms and your food intake is summarized. I just got the app and haven't used it yet but it looks like it will be very useful.

BTW, I started this a few days ago and despite not being 100% compliant am seeing a lot of improvement in reduction of my symptoms already. I also started Probiotics but I am pretty sure the diet is the ticket.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 11:15 AM  
fatkat555

My daughter has numerous food allergies. I suggest going to an allergist and having a test done. We also went to a GI doc and found out she suffers from pernicious anemia (genetic on my mom's side) and requires monthly B-12 shots. Now that we've gotten her diet under control by strictly eliminating her allergens, she's much, much improved. Her skin isn't breaking out, either. Her symptoms were constipation, bloating, headaches and severe stomach aches. She also had blisters on her skin that we thought were acne, but turned out to be an allergic reaction to gluten. She's vegan now (it's easier to say that than list all her allergens) and she's allergic to nuts (cashews especially! - lips, tongue tingle and swell) and carrots. All in all it's taken about 3 years to really get a handle on it, but now she is thriving.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digestive issues, ibs, sibo, stomach