Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-16, 10:25 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Sugar alcohols like those in sugarless candy and gum can cause loose bowels too, as can milk (I think lactose might be a sugar alcohol but am too lazy to look it up) in some people. It's possible that these things didn't bother you before you got sick and do now as your immunity builds back up.
This ^

I used to chew sugarless gum all day long, up to maybe 10 pieces a day, without incident -- then one day, I started having "issues." I didn't put it together with my gum chewing until one day I read one day about "sugar alcohols" in sugarfree gum and the havoc they can wreak on your system. I stopped chewing gum, and voila! Problem solved!

I do miss chewing gum, though!
Old 08-28-16, 06:01 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyd0319 View Post
I have chronic urticaria and have flare ups of GI inflammation. It's not quite IBS but I treat it the same way. My GI doctor recommended that I follow a low Fodmap diet as needed and it does really help. I follow it strictly until everything calms down and then slowly add foods back in. Some foods I have eliminated altogether such as Broccoli and Legumes. This diet was specifically developed for IBS patients. More info can be found in this US News article or by googling it.

I assume your doctor checked your gallbladder already as that is also a common cause of intermittent diarrhea and stomach pain, especially if you notice any changes in color or consistency of your stool.
Funny I just found this thread searching for my last trade list. I was going to post asking about the FODMAP diet. Despite my doctor telling me my microscopic colitis is gone I am still having serious digestive issues (without getting TMI- I am constantly running to the bathroom.) It is seriously affecting the quality of my life and whenever I am travelling I am stressed out about being near a bathroom. It is affecting my vacation decisions.
A friend told me about the low FODMAPs diet and I did some research into it today. There are some serious food restrictions(for me anyway-some of my favorite foods are off limits which makes sense I guess)
Does anyone know of a book or website that has good low FODMAP recipes?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 06:39 PM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Does anyone know of a book or website that has good low FODMAP recipes?

PMing you.
Old 08-28-16, 07:42 PM  
Diana3271

My DH has had some issues with diarrhea off and on and has gone through different phases with his issues. During one of his phases we realized that he was sensitive to sugar alcohols. He has diabetes and I was getting him products that were lower in sugar and come to find out they used sugar alcohols in them. We eliminated them and he was fine for quite a while. Then, recently he had issues with it again. He uses a Keurig coffee pot. I dislike the Keurig so I a regular coffee pot. I did some googling online and saw quite a few people commenting about getting stomach upset from using the Keurig. I started giving my DH coffee from the regular coffee pot and he has been fine since. I'm not sure if there is a coincidence or not. I have kept the Keurig clean, but I have read there are areas in there that hold water and bacteria can grow and it doesn't get hot enough to kill the bacteria. Again, I'm not sure about all of this but this is what has happened with my DH.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 08:40 PM  
Gams

I have periodic urgent bowel movements and it's not fun. It always makes me a little nervous because I have anal cancer and it worries me there may be something additional going on, but my doctor believes it's probably something I'm eating and I personally think it's stress related.
Gams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 08:44 PM  
joanalona

I drink lemon water and it really helps. One 8 oz glass of water with lemon every morning when I wake up and several more throughout the day. This helped more than any other thing I tried, including probiotics.

I stumbled upon this by accident...last winter I caught a bad cold and lost my voice. Honey and lemon tea helped with more than my throat, all of a sudden my digestive issues were going away. Sounds crazy I know, but I swear it worked.

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
joanalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 11:03 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Liz, Thanks for the suggestions you sent.
Diana yes I am pretty sure the large quantities of sugarless gum I chew is at least part of the problem because of all the sugar alcohols. And coffee is a MAJOR problem for me, has been for a long time even before my more recent issues which started about 3 years ago.

My friend was telling me that her DD was on the diet and mentioned some of the fruits that were off limits and it was in line with my recent "experiences". For example, peaches and watermelon sent me running to the bathroom soon after consumption. Also I had always associated symptoms I had after drinking a certain smoothie with the kale but now I think it was the mango in it that was bothering me. Tomorrow I am going to sub cantelope for the mango.
Old 08-28-16, 11:05 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanalona View Post
I drink lemon water and it really helps. One 8 oz glass of water with lemon every morning when I wake up and several more throughout the day. This helped more than any other thing I tried, including probiotics.

I stumbled upon this by accident...last winter I caught a bad cold and lost my voice. Honey and lemon tea helped with more than my throat, all of a sudden my digestive issues were going away. Sounds crazy I know, but I swear it worked.
Honey is something to avoid on the diet because of the fructose. But I will try the lemon water. I have been trying to drink 10oz of water first thing in the AM and will add lemon going forward. Can't hurt. Thanks.
Old 08-29-16, 12:01 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb View Post
This ^

I used to chew sugarless gum all day long, up to maybe 10 pieces a day, without incident -- then one day, I started having "issues." I didn't put it together with my gum chewing until one day I read one day about "sugar alcohols" in sugarfree gum and the havoc they can wreak on your system. I stopped chewing gum, and voila! Problem solved!

I do miss chewing gum, though!
Maybe I should just start with removing sugarless gum so I don't have to go through an elimination diet. I chew it all day long as well, mostly to stave off the desire to eat.
Old 08-29-16, 05:33 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

soy intolerance (or allergy depending on the dr)
miserable either way
manifests it's self with abrupt gastro problems

really painful
and annoying
and inconvenient!

I keep a mild painkiller handy
and, as with any diarrhea, you will be dehydrated

I also keep powdered gatorade around and mix up a double strength glass of it after every bout
seems to make a world of difference

Tags
digestive issues, ibs, sibo, stomach