Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-16, 10:28 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I'm not interested in beating myself up, being sore, or injuring myself working out.
Same here!
I admire those who can keep on keeping up the intensity. I really miss running, but it's not worth it for me at this point.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 11:09 AM  
furmomof6

I think it's a blessing to be able to do anything, even if it's not what you've always done.

I'll be 38 next week and I can't do what I used to do either, but then again I haven't tried and wouldn't want to. But this is just me personally. It's a different season of life and right now my body is very, very happy with low impact (just walking and Pilates). I don't really look back and wish I could do crazy, high impact stuff again but then again, I don't miss it either. I'm just thankful I'm still able to keep moving no matter what that looks like. Just a different perspective!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 11:18 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

My joints and I are 60 years old. I did intense high impact aerobics and running for decades. I can't do those things now because they hurt.

I'm quite active--bicycling, weight training, hiking, walking, yoga--and am fine with the level and intensity of my activity. This is who I am now, and I'd rather enjoy the present than pine for the past.

In some ways I am fitter than I was back in the day, because I did no weight training and not much flexibility work 35 years ago. Back then it was almost 100% cardio, with some floor work and pushups. So actually, my workouts are more well-rounded now than they used to be.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 01:15 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I started slowing down more at 50 than at 40. Although being pregnant at 40 was no picnic, that was the decade I discovered Crossfit, DDR and kettlebells. I love that many of the people who are associated with tough workouts - Cathe, KCM, Tony Horton, Billy Blanks - are over 50.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 03:20 PM  
BigBadBetty

I am 44. Growing older has been a mixed bag. I have pain at the base of my thumb that will not go away. I cannot do things that put my bodyweight on it like push-ups and burpees. I wish I could do push ups. I don't care that I can't do burpees. I can't do high-impact 2 days in a row or my knee is mad. The thing that really annoys me is not being able to see close up. Fortunately, I have no issues wearing progressive lenses. I am still trying to find a multifocal lens that works for me.

I had lots of issues with anxiety and depression in my 20s and 30s. I am doing so much better now. Exercise was not helpful for it. However, getting a dog was a huge help. My migraines disappeared when I turned 40 as did the insomnia. I didn't find out about Mirena until I was 38. It totally improved my monthly (or more often) cycle issues. In general, I am a lot happier now.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 12:00 AM  
beanpeanut

QUOTE: The thing that really annoys me is not being able to see close up. Fortunately, I have no issues wearing progressive lenses. I am still trying to find a multifocal lens that works for me.

I had lots of issues with anxiety and depression in my 20s and 30s. I am doing so much better now. Exercise was not helpful for it. However, getting a dog was a huge help.

RESPONSE: Love this SO candid. You're helping many. Wonderful post!
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 06:27 PM  
Leonana

I didn't start working out with dvd's until I was around 51-52. I will be 57 in a few months, and I've noticed a difference just this past year. I don't recover as fast as I used to, even from age 51. I'm sure I'd notice a bigger difference, if I had been exercising prior to that.
Old 10-23-16, 06:45 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
But I agree with Cheri, I think Usia, Jeanne Marie and others like them are outliers.
But what a blessing if you can keep doing what you've always done!
I have never thought of myself as "outlier". I took my good health and stamina for granted, and I've always thought this was the norm. I guess not, and I'm humbled by it. Since I've always been healthy, I have always expected to recover from my workouts or injuries now, as I have in my 30's or 40's. And I have. I think you're right Nuggie's Auntie, I should count my blessings. As I said, I've seen a slight decrease in my energy level only in the past year or two, but that's about it. Otherwise, I'm still good to go! I'll be 61 in December.
Old 10-23-16, 07:53 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm another one who's had to be more particular about the intensity of my workouts. Working out to just the right level makes me a little sore, in an 'if I stretch, it will feel really good' sort of way.

This past week? I've been achy and tired, my ribs hurt, and couldn't figure out why because I knew my workouts were not excessive.

A few days later? I'm down with a cold. I'm guessing my symptoms were kinda stealthy at the beginning.

Moral of the story? Sometimes you're achy and tired because you're SICK. Working out too hard isn't always the only culprit.

Off to get some more sleep. The only thing I like about having a head cold is that taking the meds I need to breathe tends to make me sleepy enough that my menopause related sleep disruption symptoms fade into the background. Ah, sleep!
Old 10-23-16, 08:32 PM  
videofit

I didn't start weight training till I was in my forties (was skinny fat before) and have pretty much been consistent with what I do. Never did high impact. I'm much older now. If I were you I'd look to diet, supplements, sleep, thyroid and hormone panels. Are you eating more sugar? That adversely affects my performance but not ready to kick the habit. Maybe New Year's Day.

Tags
aging