Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-16, 02:35 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

About half way through Presto! by Penn of Penn and Teller's. It's a meandering weight loss memoir. It is interesting and amusing, but rambles a bit too much sometimes. Other than that, his diet goes against the current grain of thought and he swears a lot and purposely says rude stuff along with a lot of bad words. NOT for the easily offended.

Also half way through The Fall of Lisa Bellow, it is in the psychological suspense genre. The aftermath of a robbery and kidnapping told from the perspective of the family of the girl who wasn't taken. Three different viewpoints, for those of you who do't like that. It's good and I recommend it. This genre isn't really my thing, but I read half of it in a couple days. So... it has no major issues and is well written. - Yikes, this book doesn't come out until March.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-16, 06:25 PM  
donnamp

Lynn - thanks for sharing.

I finished Louise Penny's The Beautiful Mystery. I really like this series (Inspector Gramache) although this book had quite a few sad parts to it.

I'm now reading Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult, I haven't read one of her books in a long time - so it will be refreshing to read one of hers again!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 09:37 AM  
sherry7899

I finished Bryan Cranston's biography "A Life In Parts" a few days ago. It was very enjoyable. He has led a very interesting life, and he is a talented writer.

I am going to start a psychological suspense novel by Louise Millar called "Accidents Happen."

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 12:28 PM  
BunnyHop

Years ago, I read a lot of the Star Trek paperback novels, but only saved a few once I realized I'd never re-read most of them.

Last night I picked up The Romulan Way by Diane Duane.

It's a good story. A Federation sociologist living undercover as a Romulan hadn't been heard from for a long time, so Dr. McCoy gets to go investigate.

The main story is interspersed with chapters detailing the history of the development of Romulan society (an offshoot of Vulcan). Those are interesting, but I do prefer the character based bits of the story.
Old 10-21-16, 06:41 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I've read some good books on my Kindle recently, some of the surprises:

Qualify by Vera Nazarian - I think this was a free book? It's a fantasy or sci fi type book, not my usual type, but I have been inhaling this book so far. It's really good.

Through Streets Broad and Narrow - Gemma Jackson - A historical fiction book set in Ireland in the early 1900s. Another book I don't remember getting, so it must have been free? I really like this book, the characters are really well developed and interesting.

Riverbend Road - Rayanne Thayne - I think this is the best book so far in this series. I enjoyed it.

Journey to Munich - Jacqueline Winspear - The latest in the Maisie Dobbs series. This one was lighter than the last one or two. And, I still this series.

The Last Jews in Berlin - Leonard Gross - Good story about, well, the last Jews in Berlin during World War II and how they survived the Nazis.

The Gilded Hour - Sara Donati - I was so looking forward to this book, but I had trouble following it and didn't care enough to try.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 05:34 AM  
donnamp

thanks for the updates, Laura - I will check out some of those you recommended - particularly the free ones! LOL!

I also love Maisie Dobbs - I have one of the newer ones on my Kindle - maybe the one you mentioned - it may have been on sale recently - I am contemplating re-reading the whole series, though.

Donna
Old 10-22-16, 08:14 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Donna - I get a daily email about Kindle deals, including some free ones. They may or may not be free now.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-23-16, 08:16 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Laura I get e-mails also from Book Bub and Amazon - are there any others I should know about, LOL!

The Sci Fi book is still free, the Irish family story is not - but it is available in the Kindle Lending library. I downloaded the Sci Fi book and when I'm ready I will borrow the other one.

Books are like workouts to me- too many choices/options, too little time! LOL!

Donna
Old 10-23-16, 09:40 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yeah, I have no chance of reading all of the books on my Kindle, but I keep getting more books. I'm glad you found the books.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-23-16, 04:37 PM  
Jewels5

I finally finished reading The Couple Next Door. I'm sorry to say this book didn't turn out to be all that great for me. I think there were almost too many twists or something. Anyway instead of not being able to put it down I couldn't pick it up. muggle, I would love to know your thoughts if you end up reading it. Seems I am in the minority with this one as many friends on Goodreads loved it and read it in a day or so but not me.

I'm currently reading Frankenstein.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading