Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 10-30-13, 12:21 PM  
Chomper

Oh oops I got it wrong. Bitchy Resting Face. I have to remember that.

I can see how shocking it would sound to hear that for the first time.

This is where Margaret Cho talks about Hate Face. It's about 1 minute into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC09hNT5njI

When I started doing couch to 5k runs, I discovered that I get Happy Panting Dog Smiley Face. I didn't realize how much I would love running outside, and I usually only do it when I like the weather. I was surprised about how many people I passed were smiling at me until I realized I must be smiley-panting.
Old 10-30-13, 12:28 PM  
LoveVA

I've suffered from BRF all my life. Even if my mood is this , for some reason people see this

I've had a couple of people tell me that, before they met me, they thought I was really intense/mean. They were intimidated by me until they got to know me and realized that most of the time, I'm just kind of goofy. I guess I'm just not a smiler.
Old 10-30-13, 01:53 PM  
MKEMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I've suffered from BRF all my life. Even if my mood is this , for some reason people see this

I've had a couple of people tell me that, before they met me, they thought I was really intense/mean. They were intimidated by me until they got to know me and realized that most of the time, I'm just kind of goofy. I guess I'm just not a smiler.
This is me exactly. My closest friends have admitted that before they got to know me, they were scared of me.

Regarding Marlo... I've noticed that she has a different expression than the others. I guess I think she looks really focused. She doesn't bother me.
Old 10-30-13, 04:23 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Marlo might just have Resting Bitch Face or Hate Face. I think I might have it too. Once I was trying to remember something when the person at the salon was washing my hair, and she was afraid the water was too hot so maybe I was grimacing? And I've seen pictures of myself where I thought I was smiling, and it just looks like I'm smirking.

We need more Hate Face represented in our popular media!
I know what you meant b/c in college when I would be walking across campus not talking or really thinking of anything, people would ask me if I was o.k. or tell me to smile. I think when I'm not engaged in conversation or singing and dancing or something like I do with my students I have "that" kind of face. I'm not unhappy but my face at least used to fall into "that" kind of face when I wasn't actively engaged with someone or a group of people.
Old 10-30-13, 04:26 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I've had BRF since at least my mid-teens. I was so relieved when I read this VF thread and realized I am not alone and that others also suffer from this condition.

When I worked retail, I cannot tell you how many people (usually men) would tell me to "smile" or "cheer up". Luckily, now that I'm a ripe old 31, they leave me and my sad/angry face alone. I guess I'm allowed to look dark & broody now.

<----- see, I'm smiling right now.
<----- any better?
Ha, ha!
Old 10-30-13, 06:59 PM  
PrairieGem

I never read Cathe threads--who knew I was missing so much fun conversation? LOL Not only do I have something like BRF, I also have a nearly imperceptible smile and nod . Dramatic, stage-inspired makeup helps a lot IRL, altho' I wouldn't bother for a workout! LOL (This article about Lucille Ball talks about how she designed her makeup to emphasize her humor--to make her look funnier and cheerier. Fascinating!! Now when I put my makeup on and don't want people thinking I'm sullen or invisible, I channel my inner-vaudevillian!)

Quote:
When I started doing couch to 5k runs, I discovered that I get Happy Panting Dog Smiley Face. I didn't realize how much I would love running outside, and I usually only do it when I like the weather. I was surprised about how many people I passed were smiling at me until I realized I must be smiley-panting.
This is beyond OT, but I have a ridiculous habit of grinning at people while I take their picture. It's that whole mirror-neuron thing; I just can't help it--I see somebody smiling at me (even if they're actually smiling at the camera), and I just smile back inanely!

FWIW, I really like happy panting dog face.
Old 10-30-13, 10:15 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I never read Cathe threads--who knew I was missing so much fun conversation? LOL Not only do I have something like BRF, I also have a nearly imperceptible smile and nod . Dramatic, stage-inspired makeup helps a lot IRL, altho' I wouldn't bother for a workout! LOL (This article about Lucille Ball talks about how she designed her makeup to emphasize her humor--to make her look funnier and cheerier. Fascinating!! Now when I put my makeup on and don't want people thinking I'm sullen or invisible, I channel my inner-vaudevillian!)

This is beyond OT, but I have a ridiculous habit of grinning at people while I take their picture. It's that whole mirror-neuron thing; I just can't help it--I see somebody smiling at me (even if they're actually smiling at the camera), and I just smile back inanely!

FWIW, I really like happy panting dog face.
Interesting! I just watched an old Lucille Ball movie the other day (I think it was a noir, she wasn't doing a comedic role) and I was struck by how beautiful she was. I usually just think of her as funny.

Oh and I totally just google image searched "smiling panting dog" and the results are perfect for when I need a pick-me-up. I should make that a bookmark for easy access.

To bring this back to X10, I'm trying to imagine Marlo in Lucille Ball style makeup and making exaggerated comedic faces whenever she gets a closeup.
Old 10-31-13, 09:18 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth22 View Post
I don't think she was being rude at all! She was actually defending Marlo! Lol. "BRF" (or "bitchy resting face" as they call it) is supposed to be a joking term. I totally have it! I think Marlo might too! It's supposed to be funny, not insulting. This video explains it well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk
I have BRF too! I have to concentrate on "smiling" just to look like I'm not frowning. It doesn't even come out looking like a smile, just a not-frown.
Old 10-31-13, 09:22 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
To bring this back to X10, I'm trying to imagine Marlo in Lucille Ball style makeup and making exaggerated comedic faces whenever she gets a closeup.
She might end up looking like this backgrounder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESKCyeaJNrs

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 10-31-13, 11:11 AM  
Chomper

Okay, well out of curiosity I searched and we have the real thing:

Lucille Ball as a background exerciser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQFKfb4Ul0E