Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-13, 06:59 PM  
sherry7899

OT-need help with giving a cat liquid medication

We have a prescription in liquid form for one of our cats, and trying to get him to take it is a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We have tried wrapping him up in a towel and having my DH hold him while I give him the medicine, but that didn't work well.

I wish it were available in pill form-he is absolutely great with pills as long as they are in the pill pocket treats.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 07:40 PM  
bfit

I had to give our previous cat a liquid medication when he had cancer, and it was a struggle so I can sympathize. One thing you could is to ask the vet whether you can get the medication in pill form if you're willing to pay to have it custom made at a compounding pharmacy. I have no idea whether this would work with your particular medication, but we did have one of our cat's medications made this way. Also, have you asked the vet to demonstrate how to do it? Even an assistant or technician should be able to give you some pointers. As for getting the liquid down, we had a small syringe, my husband held him, and I just shoved the syringe between his canines and into his mouth as far back as I could go (without choking him of course), and then I pushed in the plunger. If you stroke the neck/throat area right afterward they often instinctively swallow so you know that the medication got in. We got better at it over time, but it was never fun. . .
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 07:55 PM  
PrairieGem

Oh, lordy--no advice, just sympathy! Our twelve-year-old dog is recovering from surgery and taking like 12 different meds, and she won't take them in anything, so I have to do each one manually. NOT FUN!! We did ask the vet techs for advice, which confirmed that our technique was fine; it's just that hers is better.

I guess the one thing that HAS helped is kind of sneaking up on her. If I get her when she's just waking up, she's a lot more cooperative. If I have to pill her at the end of a lot of other therapies (she caught pneumonia at the hospital, so we've been having to do percussion therapy--pounding her in the chest, basically), it's a lot harder. You don't want him to choke, obviously, but can you time the administration for when he's a little bit sleepier and less riled up? And can you follow up the meds with a totally irresistible treat, like tuna?

The other thing you might try is swapping places--you hold while your DH does the syringe. You just never know; the cat may be more cooperative (one of our dogs won't let me trim her nails, but if DH does it, she's just fine)!

Good luck!! I hope this is a short term prescription!
Old 05-22-13, 08:02 PM  
F1mom

Can you mix it with the water from a can of tuna or salmon? That's the only way I can get Bella to take liquid meds.

Or if the kitty is that persnickety, perhaps the run off from a can of sardines or kippers?
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 08:33 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks for the suggestions. I was told this cannot be given in pill form (drat!)
I don't think it can be mixed with any wet food. He is only eating a prescription bland dry food due to stomach issues.

I will try giving it to him when he is less awake and see if that works.

Prairie Gem-I hope the recovery goes well.

We have two dosages down and ten to go. I made a little medication chart since it's twice a day for three days, once a day for three days and then a dose every other day for three days.

Please keep the suggestions coming-
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 08:48 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I had to give liquid meds to one of my previous pair of cats (not Ziggy or Basil). First of all, I used a little pump, kind of like syringe, then I would hold the cat and slightly press on both sides of her jaw until she opened her jaws, then I would squirt the meds into her mouth, on the side and through her teeth. It worked very well for both of us, and she didn't hate me too much afterwards, either! Good luck!
Old 05-22-13, 09:16 PM  
CHAPLYN61

I have to give my Rusty medicine twice a day ( liquid) for me this is easier that shooting a pill down his throat. I fill a slender syringe with the dosaage and I sit behind him petting him. and gently tilt his head and put the syringe in the corner of his mouth aimed back and gently squeeze while still petting. Is this medicine that cat will have to take on a regular basis? Can it be flavored? The vet added tuna flavor to the liquid meds and the cat is so used to this routine that he does not run anymore when he sees the syringe. I have to mention that after I am done, I give him his favorite treat.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 09:36 PM  
gail92

I have had a lot of pets, dogs and cats, that I have had to pill and the only thing that works for me if they are really stubborn is to get down on the floor with them and put them between my legs. It keeps them from running away and leaves my hands free to put the syringe in their mouths.
gail92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 09:45 PM  
kitty12

What is the medication ?

When giving liquid medications it is important to not squirt the medication down the back of the throat, but instead into the corner of the mouth. Squirting down the back of the throat can result in aspiration pneumonia. This video may be helpful:

http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pe...rson-procedure

Having said that, when I had to give Bo pink bubblegum flavored antibiotic, it was not a pretty thing at all. I think there was more pink on my floors and me, than in his mouth.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 10:10 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

We just went through this with my cat. It was a two person job. It worked best if I held him like a baby, belly up and pulling gently on his scruff (back of the neck). I had the med ready for DH to give, and he would gently pry his mouth open and squirt it in. Freeman (the cat) did get used to this and it was eventually not a big deal. We had to do this for close to two weeks. Good luck!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote