Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-13, 09:41 PM  
gail92

I have been riding my own bike now for over ten years. There is nothing quite like being in control of your own bike. I hated riding on the back of someone elses bike and thought I would give it a shot on my own. I took the Rider's Training Course at our local community college and got my motorcycle license through them. It does take a lot of leg strength to back your bike up but it is doable as long as you are not trying to back uphill. My bike is a Harley Dyna Low Rider and it sits really close to the ground and because I am short, 5 foot 3 inches, it fits me perfectly and I can keep my feet flat on the ground.

Just make sure you gear up and pay extreme attention to everything around you and you should be fine. It is scary out there with all the crazies on the road but if you truly like riding it is worth it. I don't particularly like town riding, too much stopping and traffic, but if you can travel the less populated roads you will truly enjoy it.
gail92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 10:15 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Thank you Gail Sounds dreamy but .. attainable. I'm 5'2 so close to your height.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 12:47 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
What is a displacement bike?
Displacement is in reference to the size of the engine. Mine were all small, and that affects how your ride to some extent. My first bike was 185cc and it was great around town, but tough to ride on the freeway. My second one was 400cc which I took for short trips as well as around town. These bikes were lighter than most motorcycles and in some ways they were easier to ride, but I got kinda blown around on them,so they required a little bit of "active riding" for lack of a better term, but that may have contributed somewhat to my upper body tension.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 05:16 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Does the wind make it hard to stear?

~~~Cheryl

Old 04-23-13, 07:24 PM  
gail92

Your bike plays a big part in how much the wind will affect you. My first bike was a Harley Sportster and my husband and I were going down the road when a big gust of wind hit me and moved me and my bike into the middle of the road. Needless to say it scared me half to death. I pulled over to the side of the road and asked my husband if he saw that and he said yeah, do you want to go home and I said a big yes. After that every time the wind blew I wouldn't ride. Now with my current bike I have rode in every kind of wind and have never moved an inch or fought my bike to stay on the road.
gail92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 02:08 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

what Kind of bike do you have now? How can you tell this when choosing a Bike. ? when I was just riding in my car today, I didn't like that wind pushing on the car as it was. So, kinda makes me wonder now that you brought this to my attention.

~~~Cheryl

Old 04-24-13, 02:28 PM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail92 View Post
Your bike plays a big part in how much the wind will affect you. My first bike was a Harley Sportster and my husband and I were going down the road when a big gust of wind hit me and moved me and my bike into the middle of the road. Needless to say it scared me half to death. I pulled over to the side of the road and asked my husband if he saw that and he said yeah, do you want to go home and I said a big yes. After that every time the wind blew I wouldn't ride. Now with my current bike I have rode in every kind of wind and have never moved an inch or fought my bike to stay on the road.
I too started on and had a Harley Sportster 1200. They are heavy bikes, but also top heavy..thus a bit harder to control. My hubby got a fatboy lo at the same time I got my bike. I thought his was too big and heavier than mine and was scared of it. The irony of it all was, after riding for about 2 months and getting more comfortable with it all...I finally got brave enough to take his bike out for a spin. It felt so much more comfortable and stable and solid than my sportser did. I was so excited when I got home from that ride. He was ready to trade mine in and trade up to anything other than a sportster for me! About two hours after I returned from that ride..we got the phone call about his mother's accident and that she was in really bad shape and lost her leg. So I never did ride anymore, or trade in my bike.

So yah, depending on your bike, alot of things come into play, including wind. I would definately recommend, that if you are getting a cruiser style bike...to not begin with a sportster version of one. Get one with the center of gravity lower to the ground. (like in the harley lineup....not the sportsters. Yes cheaper and smaller...but top heavy and harder to balance out!) Just my $.02!! Oh and yah, he pretty much just doesn't ride if it is too windy out, just to be on the safe side!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 02:33 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

What type of accident was his mother in? MVA or motorcycle? That is awful. Sad. How is she doing? Your husband still has his bike thought right?
My girlfriend has that bike you mention 1200, I don't like it. She's selling hers because she moved to Florida. Now they ride Horses.

~~~Cheryl

Old 04-24-13, 02:40 PM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
What type of accident was his mother in? MVA or motorcycle? That is awful. Sad. How is she doing? Your husband still has his bike thought right?
My girlfriend has that bike you mention 1200, I don't like it. She's selling hers because she moved to Florida. Now they ride Horses.
Motorcycle. It's been a few years..but seems recovery from something like that never really ends. Yes, my hubby still rides. He doesn't ride a whole lot...but he enjoys taking it out from time to time. Now my son's dirtbike...that I enjoy riding big time! I don't have to worry about other cars with it!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 03:30 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Oh Raeven. I can understand that 've had a car accident I'll never forget. This won't happen. oh well. Meaning my getting a motorcycle. I'll probably just rent since where I live, drivers stink.
I may just get the permit and just sit on it. I need to have some accomplishment now. Exercise is not cutting it for me either.
Even though, I like what I like, .. I'm getting bored.

~~~Cheryl