Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-19, 03:26 PM  
Diana3271

Question Help with step tracker app

A little background: I have a Samsung phone and use the Samsung Health App. to track my steps. I was very happy with it until the phone and app had a major update. After the update I noticed that the step tracking wasn't working properly. I actually called Samsung and they walked me through clearing the cache and a couple different things. This did not change a thing. Keep in mind I was easily reaching my 10,000 steps prior to the update. After the update, even with 1 hour of cardio plus additional walking I would only have 7000 steps tops. On the average I was only getting 4000-5000 steps.

I was noticing that some days were higher than others but for no apparent reason. So I decided to be more observant and I noticed that the days I put the phone upside down in my pocket the steps were higher. I tested this today and sure enough, it's true.

Now, does anyone have any idea why after the update, for the step tracker app to be accurate, it has to be kept upside down in my pocket?

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 02:42 PM  
kat999

Does your phone have an altimeter function in it? iPhones do, I know, and so do some of the wrist-based trackers, but not all. Basically, if your phone app also captures stairs climbed, it has an altimeter. If an update caused this function to only work when the phone is oriented a certain way or if it's locked/unlocked, that may be what's happening.
Old 08-09-19, 10:07 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Does your phone have an altimeter function in it? iPhones do, I know, and so do some of the wrist-based trackers, but not all. Basically, if your phone app also captures stairs climbed, it has an altimeter. If an update caused this function to only work when the phone is oriented a certain way or if it's locked/unlocked, that may be what's happening.
Never heard of that function before, LOL. I can google it. Thank you for the reply.

I called Samsung today to ask them about this situation again and what I have figured out. Of course they have never heard of this problem. (I am so special (said in a sarcastic tone, LOL.)) Anyways, They had me clear everything out again, uninstall the app, and then install it again. I kept it upside down all day in spite of the changes we made. It's giving correct info.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 01:33 PM  
kat999

Well, good! Also, sorry I didn't define that function well, but it basically sense the height/floor/story level of your device, in order to track stairs climbed. The orientation of the phone has some influence on whether it can tell that you have elevated it.

Tags
fitness apps, health apps