Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-19, 08:16 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

HABITS, I get to have habits!! Morning exercise IS going to be one. . . .

Hey all! For the past 5 years I've had a really irregular schedule. First, two years of nursing school with an academic schedule that was different every day, with clinical days starting as early as 5 am and classroom days starting as late as 11 am, with deadlines causing late nights on the reg. Then 3 years of nursing, working 12 hour shifts that often stretched to 18, three or four days a week, up at 4:45 am and often not back to bed till midnight, then of course a ZOMBIE on days off, sleeping 10-12 hour stretches!

No regular time to get up, no regular time to go to bed, no regular mealtimes. . . . I've absolutely LOVED most of it! But recently I quit my dialysis job because it was at a point where EVERY day was an 18 hour day (I worked 106 hours in 6 days. Ridiculous!) Plus our nurseatient ratios were routinely unsafe and I felt like it was a disaster waiting to happen. Quitting a job I loved so much was one of the hardest things ever.

However, I now have a NEW job, and it is M-F 8-5!!

This is a whole new world for me. Getting up at the same time every day? Going to bed at the same time every day? Eating actual meals??

I CAN HAVE HABITS!! Do you hear me??? I CAN HAVE HABITS!! So, this week, week 1, I have gotten up to do a half hour of light cardio every morning before work! It feels like DEATH I tell you. Yuck! Horrible! Hating it! BUT I AM DOING IT! And I know it will get better. My goal is to do a half hour of easy cardio M-F and do strength training when I get home on TTS. Right now all I can face is a Leslie walk or Jenny Ford's simplest step routines. My performance is PATHETIC. But I don't care. I am doing it.

I cannot tell you how life-transforming it is to have a regular schedule. I am over the moon. I feel like a new person and it's only the first week! I am getting enough sleep. I am working out. I am drinking plenty of water. I am eating meals!

This is so amazing, I am just flabbergasted. Just not being exhausted is a game-changer.

My new job is as a nurse manager in hospice. I always wanted to do hospice, from the time I was in nursing school. It is one of my passions (because my dad had an unnecessarily horrible death sequence experience, long story, but I really have a HEART for hospice). I have had the privilege of being closely involved in some patient's deaths and I tell you, it is a sacred privilege. Births and deaths are, for me, such awe-strikingly holy moments. . . I am just so humbled and blessed that I get to do this.

And being a nurse manager is just bizarre. I am still just a baby nurse for pete's sake! I have a buttload to learn, let me tell ya. Fortunately, I am still partially clinical; I would really miss the hands-on if I were not. Relating to patients is my gig and I don't want to get too far away from that.

Sorry this went on so long. I read all sorts of morning exercise threads hereon VF and I think one mistake I am making is not drinking or eating anything. I've been rolling out of bed, into my clothes, and downstairs to start. I am going to try drinking and maybe eating a bite and see if that helps me feel less like death in motion in the morning.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 08:39 PM  
alisoncooks

How wonderful! I'm sure you will be amazing at your new job.

Your previous schedule sounds like a nightmare. Regular days are going to be so good for you!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 08:57 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Susan P, I just fell in love with you from your post.

Congrats to you and good luck in your endeavor to make your new actual SCHEDULE work...you'll figure it out! Everyone is different. Experiment with what you need to experiment with for not feeling like death in motion...you might surprise yourself with what works and what doesn't!

Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add....just kudos to you and congrats!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 09:13 PM  
MJ051279
VF Supporter

Congratulations on the new position.

I love being a Nana
MJ051279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 09:37 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
CAN HAVE HABITS!! Do you hear me??? I CAN HAVE HABITS!!
I do hear you.

I'm in the same situation, and have finally gotten back to regular sleeping habits. What a blessing it is.

Now to move on to the mundane routines of a normal life. Whew.
Old 05-02-19, 10:37 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Susan, I just love reading about your passion for your work!!
Good for you pushing through your early morning exercise routine. You're inspirational.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 11:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Congrats Susan, you’ll be an awesome manager! I worked in hospice for several years before I retired & I and loved it. It’s so very rewarding and heartbreaking at the same time. A good, supportive, caring manager makes such a difference to staff morale. (((Hugs))) and best wishes!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 11:30 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I never thought I could wake up between 6 and 6:30 AM to workout before the rest of my day began, but having small kids and a regimented bus/train schedule to get to work has made it happen More of a struggle when the days are short, but my body clock has been re-trained!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 06:21 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Susan P, I just fell in love with you from your post.
Me, TOO!
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 07:17 AM  
cjh
VF Supporter

susan p, I hardly every post anything, but I have to say, as a nurse myself, I can relate to everything you are saying!!!!! All of it coming from the heart
Enjoy your newest journey.
cjh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morning exercise, morning exercisers