Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-12, 09:07 AM  
naturallove

OT: Looking for a professional organizer

I usually try to stay away from starting OT threads, but given the circumstances, I think an argument could be made that being messy is affecting my stress levels and health! LOL I've been working super hard trying to get papers off of my desk (I had surgery a couple of months ago and am still catching up) and I find that everything else in my life is suffering. On a positive note, I am managing to get in workouts at least 4-5 days a week (at minimum). On the downside, my house is a mess and I still have a few unpacked boxes from my move in August! I've always had a problem keeping everything neat and together, but my lack of organization is really a problem now. I have a cleaning service coming to take care of that end, but I'm stressed and I need some help creating a system for more permanent change. Yes, I've tried the email services, etc. but I need someone professional.

Has anyone ever used the services of a professional organizer? Any tips for what to look for and what kinds of prices they charge? (I know price is certainly dependent on area and skill level.) Any results, good, bad or indifferent to report?
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 09:59 AM  
kitty12

I have never used a professional organizer, but my hubby and I used to joke that we would be good at that job! We are exremely organized!! I have friends that are the opposite so the contrast is interesting.

You mentioned you have a cleaning service coming in. What other things do you need help with? Do you have too much "junk" that needs throwing away, need help unpacking, need help organizing paper, etc?
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 10:17 AM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
I have never used a professional organizer, but my hubby and I used to joke that we would be good at that job! We are exremely organized!! I have friends that are the opposite so the contrast is interesting.

You mentioned you have a cleaning service coming in. What other things do you need help with? Do you have too much "junk" that needs throwing away, need help unpacking, need help organizing paper, etc?
I have papers and books and clothes that I just need to get rid of/consign/donate! It sounds like it *should* be so easy to do, but I just need someone to give me a system for keeping everything in order.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 11:47 AM  
ellaenchanted

Have looked into California Closets and the other similar companies? I think part of the issue may be that you don't have a good set up. A closet that is just a big empty box ends up getting crammed w/ stuff. But, shelves, drawers, rods arranged strategically can really help best use of the space. I think those companies work w/ you to design something that meets your needs. It isn't cheap but people love them. If you are handy, you could always build things yourself.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 02:05 PM  
Orlita

I'll be interested to hear your experience. I live in a 1931 house with very little storage, and I'm a clutter-pile-maker. So I have thought about hiring someone to help. One of the regular counselors from "Hoarders" actually lives in the town next to mine. I like her. I should check out what her rates are.

She had better not mess with my exercise DVD piles, though!
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 09:57 PM  
jhsimpson

Julie Morganstern

Unsure if you have heard of Julie

http://juliemorgenstern.com/

I first learned of her from daytime TV and read her first book. I still have her S.P.A.C.E. formula committed to memory: Sort, Purge, Assign, Containerize, Equalize
jhsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 10:04 PM  
Orlita

[QUOTE=jhsimpson;2041291]Unsure if you have heard of Julie

http://juliemorgenstern.com/

She is excellent.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 04:07 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I have a friend in Green Bay who is working with a professional organizer and she says it is WORTH EVERY PENNY. She has "Dee Clutter" come over for a couple hours at a time a couple times a week and they make TREMENDOUS progress through her stuff. They pick a hotspot area (kitchen desk, that corner of the garage where everyone dumps everything, whatever) and just go to work on it. My friend does the sorting, Dee does the packing up of stuff to go to Goodwill, etc., they clean the area, Dee helps with organizing what's left. Working together they do nearly miraculous stuff. My friend absolutely LOVES it.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 05:26 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

My sister needed help with her garage so she called The Container Store. They sent over a woman called a Clutter Fairy to talk to her. The woman was amazing, but ultimately it was too expensive for my sister, so she and her DH ended up doing it themselves.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 09:38 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I never had, but when I was considering, and commented to a friend, she said she did, and the person ended up getting rid of her junk, and then loadingher apartment up with thrift store furniture and 'decor' which supposedly made her apt more 'functional' and 'attractive' but really just cluttered it up 'differently'.

My advice would be read some of those personal organization books, and then if you feel you still want to hire someone's help, do so cautiously, but then at least you will have some information going in to learn from AND protect yourself with.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote