Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-10, 09:34 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Question Current thoughts about Tracie's Longevity series?

I have read most of the thread on Tracie Long's new series, and I am strongly leaning towards purchasing Defining Shape. (It took me awhile to realize that I don't click as well with Tracie's cardio; plus, although I love circuit workouts, I have a ton of these but don't have as many pure strength workouts.) I am also somewhat interested in Back Up.

Now that people have had these for a little while and tried them several times, does anyone have any additional thoughts to share? Are any favorites emerging? If I did buy a second Tracie (e.g., Back Up), I would be purchasing that instead of Kellly Coffey-Meyer's Muscle Definition, so feel free to make any comments along those lines. (I prefer Kelly to Tracie as an instructor, but after reading extensively about both workouts, I think Tracie's would better fit in with my collection at the present time.)

Thanks!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 09:44 AM  
dnna

I have them and have done them all and there is no fun factor for me- I just don't want to take one of the shelf and do it. I did the step one again and it was drudgery to ME- not slamming TL -jmho
maybe because it is just TL and no background people- but if you like a serious get to work/ get it done workout this might be for you.
donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 10:11 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I just got the Longevity series and have done each once so don't remember everything about them. I like them a lot but they don't have a fun factor. But I don't think Kelly's have a fun factor either. Actually, I'm not a fan of Kelly - not sure why.

Defining Shape has the least amount of cardio but I think it still has some. Most exercises are combination style so you can get your HR up a bit. Back Up has at least 20 minutes of cardio and med ball "sports" drills. Loved it! Lots of shoulder work in a functional sense.

I need to heavy up the next time I do these. I bought them for their functional fitness aspect, not strength, and their "longevity" as far as still using them as I get even older. I didn't feel worked hard for any particular muscle group but felt GREAT after doing them. Definite keepers for me. But if you're looking for more straight up strength dvds, I think Kelly (or someone else) would be a better fit.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 10:15 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

The only one I have kept is the stepping workout and I am debating on that one. This series did not have any fun factor at all for me.
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 10:22 AM  
lorajc

OOhh.... I love Back Up and Staying Power. I have not yet tried the step workout and have done Defining Shape a couple times, but it is not a fave.

The ones I like have really fun med ball segments with fun athletic cardio. I like the mix of moves in them. Satisfies my exercise ADD.

ETA: but I guess you don't like Tracie's cardio...sorry
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 10:25 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

I agree with the majority, no fun factor. Defining Shape has been my favorite of the set (probably because it's all strength), Staying Power is my least favorite due to the cardio segments which I find REALLY boring. Traded the step one right away because I don't like step and I'm "eh" about Back Up.

Won't be buying the Focus workouts 'cause (for me) Tracie has jumped the shark.
Old 02-07-10, 10:43 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone! I do like working with the med ball, so I might enjoy those cardio segments if I were to purchase Back Up. I don't mind the weight segments getting my HR up--in fact, that's a plus to me. But maybe I should just get Defining Shape and see what I think...

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-07-10, 01:15 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

ITA with Lexy. There is no fun factor, but it certainly serves a functional fitness purpose. I think it's an ok workout. I will keep it, but don't imagine I will pull it out unless I have one of those conversations with myself. The ironic thing for me is that my 14YO DD absolutely LOVES it. She has done my TJ among others and certainly prides herself on knowing all the instructors (she found an article in one of her teen mags about Beth Chamberlain and Kbells). I asked her why she likes this one and her reply was that 'it makes me feel good.' HTH

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 02:07 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just wanted to note that there are NO reviews posted for this series yet--I hope that some of you will add your impressions, good or bad, to the reviews section!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-07-10, 02:26 PM  
jeanniem
VF Supporter

Of the series, Back Up is the only one I would recommend. To me the rest are unbalanced and not as challenging as her prior videos.

I just did the full step workout and the last tune has uneven reps (right vs left) which I really hate. (one reason Strong Bear is frustrating for me).

IMO Tracie depended on her personality to carry the workouts rather than the workout being the selling point. She has a great personality on screen, but that's not enough to make up for the sound level issues or the weakness of the workouts.
jeanniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
longevity, tracie long