Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-05, 02:59 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Welcome Ali! Glad you are finding this place useful. Feel free to ask any questions. And, you can know when you get up early to exercise, there are others here doing the same.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 03:05 PM  
psychpom

This site is awesome!! I am new here too - I just started seriously working out at home and I am building my library. I welcome any suggestions, especially for strength. Also, I have read a lot on these boards about having a "rotation." What does that mean? Do people pick one instructor and stick with that person for weeks? Since I have so few videos I just do whatever strikes my fancy (yoga, pilates, step, tae bo) is there a "better" way to go about this? Like I said, ANY suggestions will be helpful and greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance.
psychpom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 05:18 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpom
This site is awesome!! I am new here too - I just started seriously working out at home and I am building my library. I welcome any suggestions, especially for strength. Also, I have read a lot on these boards about having a "rotation." What does that mean? Do people pick one instructor and stick with that person for weeks? Since I have so few videos I just do whatever strikes my fancy (yoga, pilates, step, tae bo) is there a "better" way to go about this? Like I said, ANY suggestions will be helpful and greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to VF, psychpom! This link from our Beginner's Corner should help you out:

http://www.videofitness.com/beginners/step6.php

I believe there are also some threads here at the forum that will be useful. See the Combinations, Rotations, & Modifications forum to start and you'll get lots of ideas there.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 05:36 PM  
new2me

Quote:
This site is awesome!!
I agree! Welcome psychpom!!! A rotation is really just a sort of "set" way of doing the videos you have. Some people do them with one instructor, some do them with whatever workouts they have available. Do you have any strength workouts now?

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 05:36 PM  
sweety7816

Unhappy

posted on wrong area...sorry

janice

Last edited by sweety7816; 06-12-05 at 05:38 PM. Reason: posted on wrong area...sorry
sweety7816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 08:52 PM  
psychpom

On the topic of strength workouts I have Burn and Firm Pilates (does that count?) and DA's Shrink Your Female Fat Zones. A couple of my step vids have a strength component to them (cathe is one). That's it. I think that I am an intermediate exerciser, just new to the "at home" stuff, since I have little ones and can't go to the gym. I was thinking of trying some of the beachbody stuff??? I like the one Cathe step vid that I have, so maybe she would be good for me too? Let me know what you think.
psychpom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 05:04 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
I like the one Cathe step vid that I have, so maybe she would be good for me too? Let me know what you think.
Cathe is the queen of strength training in the video arena. Any of her workouts can be grown into by using weights appropriate for your level and increasing them as you build strength. I am a committed intermediate strength worout person (as opposed to advanced) and I enjoy her more "intermediate" level workouts Supersets and Push/Pull. I also use her more recent Muscle Max. I've seen good press on her Body Fusion workout, but haven't tried it.

And, there are tons of other strength workouts that you can choose from. There are AWT (aerobic weight training) workouts and the Firm (and others) have many of these workouts. There are functional fitness workouts. And, of course, there is Pilates and yoga. Pilates really helped me to start strengthening my core.

Good luck with your search. I'd suggest reading until you see a trend in what you might enjoy. And, post your questions.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-13-05, 09:39 AM  
new2me

What Laura said! She gave you some really great suggestions. And, I agree that almost any weight workout can be grown into.

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 06:00 PM  
Shelleyd

I am new to this site, this is only my third post! Have been lurking for a few weeks though and LOVE THIS SITE!! Can't contain my enthusiasm!

I am a wife and Mom to my beautiful 2 1/2 year old daughter. I am currently following my dream of being a freelance writer. We just bought a house in the country (move in 3 weeks) and I have to leave the gym that I love. I am really looking forward to workouts at home though. I think it will be a great change and I can work on more what my body needs, not go through my usual gym routine. I have been an athlete all my life, I have to do something physical every day to hold onto the sane parts of me. I have also been a personal trainer for the last 10 years and am passionate about fitness and nutrition.

I have been obsessed with yoga for the last 6 months, and don't see that ever stopping. Since I am new to the home video scene, I am taking any and all suggestions for videos to start my library.
Shelleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 07:34 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Shelley,

I saw you over in another thread, but, officially, welcome to VF. Hope you find the info, motivation, and suggestions you need to get started and keep going for a long time!

I know your brain is probably ready to explode with all the info you are absorbing, but have you found the check-in section yet? You might want to check it out when you run out of other things to look at. There are many check-ins, where people post in smaller, more targeted groups about their workouts. Some are daily, others are weekly, some are monthly. Off the top of my head, some check-ins you might be interested include:

> the yoga check in
> a moms' check in
> the daily morning check in
> I know there HAS to be a strength check in, probably several

Being part of a check in has given me an incredible amount of info, but, more importantly, a smaller group to interact with. It might be a good thing to have a group like that when you are out in the country...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread