Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-03, 02:40 PM  
txkimmers
VF Supporter

Don't know why I have avoided this

because for sure I don't have a posting phobia. I should probably lurk more than I do.

I am a working mother of 2 in Austin, Tx, married for 10 years in June 2004. I am a meeting planner for a medical association, and I love my job. In fact, I have a sign on the wall of my cube proclaiming same. My kiddoes are 7 (daughter) and 1 (son); I myself am 39. DH is 41, not into video fitness, but intrigued by yoga.

I found VF via the old Firm Forum, I guess it must have been around 1998 or so? I had gotten into Firm vids in order to lose about 30 lbs that I gained after my daughter was born. I got into all of the incredible non-retail vids that are out there thanks to VF, and then into yoga, which pretty much took precedence over the cardio/weights activity. Then I sort of fell off the face of the Forum for a while, but kept up the yoga (didn't have much time for anything but personal turmoil and yoga). I got re-acquainted a few months ago, and have been inflicting myself on my patient fellow VF'ers ever since!

Now I am trying to find time to not only do yoga, but add in all the wonderful workouts I used to love (like Christie's and Firms), but try new things too (Like Slim Series and new Cathe's).

My other hobbies include reading, cooking (I was a catering manager for many years, so I am a serious foodie) and embroidery.

And I lurve VF.
txkimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-03, 12:03 PM  
pshmn

VF lurker and junkie

Hi Folks,
Took me some courage to post! I'm fairly new to the forum and have posted maybe twice so far.
I'm 24, living with my boyfriend in Ann Arbor, MIch. right now, although I'm originally from Singapore. Currently in my third year of a psychology doctorate program.
I never would have considered myself athletic before but since getting into videos and coming to VF (several times a day) I professed that "I actually like exercising" in earnest to my sister in July (to which she started laughing, also in earnest).
I started off with a Jane Fonda (Complete Workout) tape that I borrowed from the video store, and after searching online for more video titles, found VF. And then a whole new world oprened up for me. My favorite instructors are Kathy Smith and Karen Voight and I was mainly a cardio person until I hurt my ankle running almost two months ago. Now, I do exclusively pilates (Method, Crunch), Lotte Berk, and yoga (love Rodney Yee!). Because of my injury, I've also been doing more weights (Karen's GWW is a lifesaver).
I can't wait for my ankle to heal and to get back to more cardio work. True to my video fitness addiction, I been acquiring so many cardio tapes (the new Tae Bo's since I loved doing kickboxing before getting injured) even though I am not allowed to do them just yet.
Thanks for all the inspriration, VF!
pshmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-03, 02:29 AM  
Brit-Josie
VF Supporter

Hello,

My name is Josie and I live in the UK. I have always gone through periods of working out ever since I started University - mainly to slim down my pear-shaped hips and wobbly thighs!

Unfortunately, since starting work as a lawyer a few years ago, I've had little time to go to the gym and since getting married recently, I appear to have really let myself go! A few weeks ago, I weighed more than ever, so decided I had better start working out again and eating more sensibly.

There aren't that many good workout videos in the UK as far as I'm concerned, so I have started purchasing American DVD's on e-bay (I have a multi-region dvd player luckily!). I am amazed by the choice of workout dvds available in America and that is how I came across this site so that I could read some objective reviews on a few.

At the moment, I am doing Winsor Pilates most nights after work and I have also bought a Reebok Step which came with a great workout tape. I also have an elliptical trainer and occasionally do a Tae Bo workout. I am generally working out about 5 or 6 times a week. I would love to try out Lotte Berk's dvds as well as anything by Cathe Friedrich - we just don't get those workout dvd's in the UK though!

I'm so glad I came across this forum, everyone seems very friendly!

Josie
Brit-Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 01:25 PM  
ladybugblue

Talking

hello....thought i'd post and intro. myself.My name is yolanda...from california.married...two kids.....love working out to video tapes/dvds.I've had some success...still need to work on it though.I just need some motivation every now and then...this seems like a good place to get it... .(This is actually my first post..)hope we get to know eachother.
ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-03, 12:27 PM  
belton

Seriously Outnumbered!

Hi, I'm belton, one of the few men posting in the VF community. Since I've taken the liberty of posting opinions and starting new threads on VF recently, I think that I should do the courtesy of introducing myself.
Being a male posting to these forums, I can tell that my early posts are met with some skepticism, perhaps some thinking that I'm a spammer. Actually, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm a 44-year old musician with a passion for fitness. Belton, by the way, is my dog's name. He hangs out with me while I'm doing tedious music editing on the computer. This is me:
http://www.andydewitt.com

While the majority of my workouts are with free weights and don't involve videos, I think that workout videos can be a valuable tool and not gender specific. Specifically, I have a number of Cathe Friedrich videos and think that they would present a challenge to anyone. I also think that kickboxing and power yoga videos are very useful.

Like most of you, my goal is to keep improving my fitness level. It's not a lot of fun to just "maintain" a level of fitness.
Many people that I meet think that I'm ten or fifteen years younger than I am, which is a result of my serious attention to fitness and nutrition.

Yes, I learned weightlifting the "old school" way, but I think it's important to keep an open mind to new ideas. And yes, I'm skeptical whenever someone releases a new piece of fitness equipment that's accompanied by a set of four videos.

All that said, I hope that I can contribute something to this forum with a unique perspective.

Thanks.

Andy (belton)
belton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-03, 02:48 PM  
Alan

Another Minority Member

Hey Andy! I've been a long time lurker here but never posted until today. I'm 31 and live in Indiana, but am originally from California. I started working out to videos over 2 years ago and love it. I'm becoming quite a fan of Mindy Mylrea and I'm sure I'll enjoy Cathe's workouts as well. Other types of workouts I enjoy include kickboxing, jumping rope, and power yoga. Hopefully we'll see more guys posting here soon!

Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-03, 07:38 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

greetings to page 19

geeze, you're all so interesting.

Toaster and Kim I know of course.

Andy, hi. My dh is also a bassist, and their are at least a couple other "bass widows" on VF. fyi, I saw the posts you made re: that one site - I don't think anyone had an issue with you being a man - albiet, a rare species on vf - its just peculiar, and sometimes a sign of shilling - to start posting out of the blue about a particular program or instructor. don't let this put you off.

Alan, hi. I don't see any intrinsic reason why videos should be the province of women. They're such a great way to exercise when you're short on time - I'd rather spend my fitness time doing fitness - not traveling, cueiing up, etc.

Josie - there are a number of UK VFers - even UK Barrister VFers. I'm a lawyer as well.

Ladybug - congrats on your first post.

Pshmn - (how do you pronounce that??? ) welcome. Singapore is on my short list for places to visit. I'd like to travel in Asia. I've been to Ann Arbor.

Mousepad, Reinvented, Kyrin - welcome.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 06:35 PM  
belton

Alan, it's great to know that I'm not the only guy that believes that fitness video should have universal appeal. Glad that you made yourself known!

Jane C, thanks for the welcome, and my apologies to all of the "bass widows" on VF!
Quick musician joke:

Q: What's the definition of a successful musician?

A: His wife has two jobs.

BTW, after consulting with Wendy, I've reposted a "review" of the Clarence Bass videos in a way that should be more acceptable to the standards of this particular site.

In fact, in a trade of emails, Wendy and I found that we actually grew up just a few miles apart here in Midway, USA!

Best regards,

Andy (belton)
belton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-03, 01:57 PM  
Lori M
VF Supporter

Hi! I am 42 years old. I live in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada and love it here!

I really enjoy working out at home. My fav's are Gin Miller, Cathe, Christi Taylor, Keli Roberts and even Charlene Prickett. I do aerobics 5 times per week and total body toning/strength training 3 times per week. I try to incorporate Yoga into my workouts every day but usually only manage to do it 3 times per week. I also do pilates and that is part of my toning. And, I have a BowFlex so that is used once a week, usually on my Friday workout. Thursday is always my INTERVAL day and I always include Yoga that day.

I have a great life partner. He is very supportive of my workouts and loves that I take the time to do them. We have two cats, Indea (male) and Allie (female). We also have five children between us and none of them live at home!

I just love to read! I have a pretty impressive library. I enjoy gardening once the snow is gone.

I am going back to school starting January 12 2004. I am doing a college fast track program and getting my Business Administration diploma. I will be done on August 20!

Well, that is all about me.
Old 12-31-03, 02:33 PM  
Val1978

Hello!

Hi!

Since I've been lurking here for the past month, I guess I'd better introduce myself! I'm a 25 years old French-Canadian, living in a small town 35 miles north of Montreal. I used to be very active up until I was in my last year of college. A lot of studying and stress drove me to stop exercising and start eating more. I gained about 15 pounds and my fitness level really dropped.

My job is pretty physically demanding (I'm a chiropractor), so I need to be fit in order to make it through my day! I've started with fitness tapes this summer because I wanted to try Pilates and the nearest pilates instructor is 45 minutes away. I bought Pilates for Dummies, loved it and most of all loved exercising at home with tapes. I now own 7 fitness tapes and I'm looking for more. I've even managed to convince a few patients to do the same. I love VF because of the variety of people and their toughtful reviews of all kinds of tapes!

I'm looking forward to taking a more active part in the VF community!
Val1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread