Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-19, 12:20 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Old as the hills and back for inspiration

I've been lurking on VF for the last week or so and after reading Vintage VF's challenge thread I decided I would post.

I have always struggled with consistency and even as a retired person with a ton of time I can find excuses not to work out. The last few years I have only been motivated by outdoor walks and then only when I was "training" for vacation! I just had a BIG number birthday in August ( gasp...70!!) and need to improve fitness, strength, flexibility and balance.

I'm headed out on a trip to France the end of the month and have 3 more weeks to increase my mileage. I like to be able to do several walks of 7, 8 or 9 miles over my 4 mile baseline. I've done 7 miles 3 times over the last few weeks but need to add in some workouts on rest days from walking. I've been to Paris a number of times and know I have a better time if I can walk 6-8 miles a day. We've been super fortunate in North Idaho this year with NO wildland fire smoke. The last 2 or 3 summers have been horrible with smoke from distant fires all of July and August but this year's clear air has aided in me being able to walk 2 or 3 times a week since June.

Plus I've got a new Apple Watch and I am working to figure out how to close my Exercise ring on days when I am not on a walking day.

So far I'm working thru some old workouts including those on VHS! I started with very old T-Tapp tapes (Beginner Rehab) as I was going to Yellowstone in August and knew if I got the moves back on the B-R tape I could do 30 minutes of activity on the days I had in the park that were birding/wildlife watching days (which tends to be more in the car than walking). I also needed a few workouts for a restorative day so pulled out Madeline Lewis' AM and PM stretch tapes - wow, those have stood the test of time!- as well as an old Barbara Benagh Restorative Yoga DVD (not as crazy about this one). I've also done a Karen Voight Sleek Essentials Cardio (just because I've always loved her) and woke up yesterday and out of nowhere Project You was on my mind so I did the Foundation workout from that set.

I'm woefully behind on figuring out streaming workouts so I'll check the youtube workouts a number of people have listed on various recent threads. I'm not sure how that works when traveling unless you've got WIFI? For travel I may just depend on my walking but am finding the AM/PM stretch really nice so might have to figure something out for adding those in while I travel.

I poked around on Lannette's blog and was sad to see Teresa Tapp died almost a year ago. I did her workouts for a number of years until I burned myself out on them so I know better than to jump in to a bootcamp with her workouts. I'd met her in person in the early 2000's at a workshop in Seattle with another T-Tapp trainer (Lani) and she was such a charismatic person.

It's good to be back and feel excited about working out!

editing to add: Oh, I forgot I DID download a workout recently - Katy Bowman and her pelvic exercises because well, all that equipment down there is 70 years old too and I don't want incontinence! Sorry if that is TMI!

~Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 02:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Happy Belated Birthday, Pam! 70 is a big birthday.

I don't know if you have voted in the Age Poll:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=226113

Even after all these years, I still find VF very inspiring. I learn about new workouts, equipment and modifications. I visit almost every day.

The current workout options and choices can be overwhelming. I'm going to start going through my videos and decide which ones are not "me" anymore.

My favorite stretch for travel is Slim In 6 Slim & Limber. I know it by heart at this point, so I don't even need a video. Maybe you can rip the audio from Madeline's stretch and put it on your phone or pod device.

I download workouts/movies, put them on my iPhone and then hook them up to the TV with an adapter and HDMI cord. I don't know if that would work in France (lucky lady!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 04:50 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Oh my...I'd forgotten about Slim and Limber! I have Slim in 6 so I'll pull that out too, lol! Thank you so much! I did that so much at one time that I might be able to do it on my own as well!

On another thread I mentioned a meditation teacher who does a sleep meditation I like so just went thru his website. He offers a free e-book on meditation and one of the things he mentions to do is make an appointment for yourself in a certain amount of time to "review" your meditation practice and how it's working for you. Helps keep you on track and builds in some feedback.

I think I will do that with a "workout" review as well. I'll make one for when I get back from vaca and then another a month after that to see if I am actually sticking to a rotation.

I didn't see the survey so I'll go to that!

Age has never made a difference to me but the thought of 70 made me shudder. I certainly feel younger than 70, lol!

~Pam
Old 09-08-19, 10:54 PM  
Venus

Dobby, happy 70th! It sounds like you're preparing well for your trip. I have a short stretch sequence I wrote and do in bed on vacations. I tend to take paper workouts only. Maybe you could write out the stretches from AM/PM Stretch?

Vintage VFer, I've been going through my DVDs and sorting them in piles as I do them. Favorites, okay, and not sure (try again). I don't think I have any 'get rid of' yet. Hopefully, I'll only have 'favorites' eventually.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 08:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I remember your name, welcome back!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 06:45 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Venus - thank you for that suggestion! I've got the TTapp workouts in Notes on my phone so I think I will add the AM and PM stretch ones too.

Pat - thanks!

~Pam
Old 09-10-19, 07:53 PM  
buffmama

Pam,
If you're looking for something else for your pelvic floor I've been using Fem Fusion on youtube and have been happy with it. I went through her Lift program and Ab Camp and keep going back to her channel. Both programs are free and about 20 min a day.
Old 09-10-19, 08:51 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Buffmama, thank you! I’ll take a look at them.

Tags
consistency, motivation