Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-19, 02:13 PM  
Libby

Need recommendations for trips that require lots of walking

Just got back from a 4 day trip to New York. I'm in pretty good shape and exercise regularly. But my shins and feet were killing me and my right knee swelled a lot. What can I do to prevent this the next time I go on a trip that requires a lot of walking? I had Saucony sneakers but I don't think they had enough padding. Not sure how much of a difference that would have made. I'm 60 and workout with Cathe and Chalene. I normally wear Teva sandals with a wedge heel. I'm not used to wearing flats so I don't know if that was the problem.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-19, 02:51 PM  
BigBadBetty

For me, the best thing to do is to have more than one pair of comfortable shoes. I do best when I can switch out my shoes. The brands are so individual. I love Ecco shoes, but they are terrible for a high instep. I also love Chacos for sandals. If you are not used to wearing a flatter shoe, that can definitely be a problem.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-19, 02:52 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Honestly I think you just have to walk a lot! I'm pretty fit too but when we were in Denver last month, my feet and calves were killing me after walking 5+ miles around the zoo.

I'm normally a runner and do 15+ miles a week but haven't been right now because of back/hip issues. My feet aren't used to being used that much, so I really felt the walking that time.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-19, 03:20 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
For me, the best thing to do is to have more than one pair of comfortable shoes. I do best when I can switch out my shoes.
THIS.

Just got back from NYC trip and had done the changing out of shoes and absolutely made a difference. My legs ached a bit but nothing like the first time around with no shoe switch (had the shoes, but could n't get to them) and less comfortable shoes. My legs not only ached but felt on fire and the bottoms of my feet burned like heck.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-19, 04:57 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thanks to those that mentioned the importance of having more than one pair of comfortable shoes. I had been thinking it might be good to have more than one pair of comfortable walking sandals when I go on vacation next month, so thanks for encouraging me to get another pair of shoes to alternate with my SAS Huggy sandals.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-19, 05:11 AM  
Lannette

Specificity, if you want to be able to walk further and longer then practice walking further and longer. Then when you do walk match your heel height to what you’re used to walking in. Changing heel heights (even a little) has a ripple up up the body effect and puts your posture and the muscles in a new alignment. Probably not a big deal if you aren’t doing a lot of walking but quite different when you’re on your feet and moving for hours.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-19, 06:30 AM  
Demeris

Four years ago (at age 58), I spent several months in Italy. I walked anywhere from 3-15 miles a day. I wore Nike Free's and had no trouble, at all.

BUT, I think the secret was what Lannette suggested--I was walking longer and farther, but each day was a different distance, somedays shorter, some days longer.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-19, 08:57 AM  
Taiga

For me, Saucony definitely won't cut if I'm increasing mileage suddenly and by a lot. Hoka walking/running shoes make me pretty much bullet proof in those situations. I've had several friends (many who are regularly sedentary) report that as well. They seem to really protect the feet during extended walking (very popular with the nurses I know). I think the Hoka Bondi gets top marks especially, though I like the Arahi version also. These shoes support very well and at the same time feel like springy marshmallows on your feet There are many months where I'll suddenly put a few hundred miles on my treadmill and the Hokas let me do that without building up gradually. FYI, I actually tend to train barefoot or in minimalist shoes in general. I only wear Hokas (occasionally Brooks) when there will be relentless mileage and particularly on man made surfaces.

It is also imperative that you stretch hamstrings/calves/shins throughout the day when suddenly increasing mileage. It really does make all the difference in the world!
Old 06-15-19, 09:17 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

We need more and more cushioning as years pass.

I'm a pronator. I had been advised years ago to buy "motion control" running shoes which usually have less cushioning, emphasing structure. Then about six years ago after a while trying out "race walking" and the requisite shoes (virtually no cushioning) I woke up one morning and as soon as my feet touched the ground they were in severe pain. My podiatrist said, among other things, that all the fat pads in my feet needed help, that as we age we lose those fat pads. Besides metatarsal pads (which I no longer use) and new orthotics, he recommended that I buy the most cushioned shoes now.

For "dressier" sneakers I wear Brooks Addiction but my feet and whole body tire in them, and as soon as I am back home I put on my New Balance 1340v2's and my feet and entire body are refreshed. I'm always amazed at the difference shoes can make in my energy level, almost instantaneously.

So, even though we have been fine wearing a certain type of sneaker for years, things change. I suggest having at least one pair of very cushioned shoes on hand even if you don't think you need them.

ETA: I also recommend looking into calf compression sleeves -- they're not just for older folks but are popular with athletes too and people who are on their feet all day. These come in all colors and designs by many companies. I like Dr. Miller's 20-30mmHg strong compression sleeves.
Old 06-16-19, 10:13 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Just got back from a 4 day trip to New York. I'm in pretty good shape and exercise regularly. But my shins and feet were killing me and my right knee swelled a lot. What can I do to prevent this the next time I go on a trip that requires a lot of walking?.
Exercise is so specific. So doing step workouts (fr. ex) gets you in great shape for doing step -- and gets you in good cardio shape -- but not for walking. Next time, train in advance by increasing the amount of walking you do.

FWIW, I live in NYC and try to walk as much as possible. I often do this in non-padded footwear (though I always wear comfortable shoes like Alegrias or sneakers) so I think it's training and not necessarily footwear that's the issue. How much do you usually walk when you're at home?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking, walking shoes