Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-19, 07:31 AM  
Izzy

I think Susan's post just reinforces how hard nurses work. The 12+ hour days must be very difficult especially if you have a family, tag on commutes etc etc. It really takes a toll on a person's body. Many nurses are not in very good physical shape (please do not take offense) but it is so understandable in that with schedules like what Susan posted who has the time even to squeeze in 30 mins? Most nurses are on their feet for the entire 12 hours and then have to stick around for emergencies, charting and other issues.

I am glad for Susan that she has found the opportunity for work/life balance.

I want to add a huge kudos to all of the nurses out there who devote their lives to taking care of others.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 08:09 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

Good luck Susan with your new job and fitness schedule. I have no doubt you will excel at both!
Old 05-03-19, 09:14 AM  
owltx

Susan -

Your post was a joy to read! I am so happy for you - that you made it through going back to school, and then the hectic post-school schedule and now back into a regular routine! My sister is a nurse and worked in hospice for a long while and always said it was one of her favorite nursing jobs, particularly in getting to connect with the patients.

As far as early morning workouts - you are doing the best thing you can right now - sticking through the unpleasant part of it! I am an early morning workout person, and there are definitely two camps: those who have to have a bite to eat pre-workout, and those who prefer to wait to eat. I am the latter - it sounds likely you could be the former. There was a thread on this some years back, and one person said her best idea was to head straight to the kitchen, put peanut butter on a banana and eat that, and then go back and put on her workout clothes, feed the dog, get ready etc and then by the time she was starting her workout the banana had time to partially digest. Good luck!
Old 05-03-19, 11:23 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

congratulations! My mom, her mom, a great grandmother and a nephew were/are nurses!

If it's for you, then you love it. great news on getting better job - you mean you weren't playing cards half the time???
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 11:23 AM  
laurajhawk

Yay, you!!
I made the switch to AM workouts years ago and I love it, but it wasn't an easy adjustment. For me, what works is to get up earlier than I strictly need to, and after feeding dogs etc., I drink a half-cup of coffee while reading and journaling, before I work out. If you're a "coffee person", this might make you feel much more human.
On the other hand, if you're waking up dehydrated, coffee won't help - you'll need water.
I don't normally eat but when I was doing P90X, I ate a half banana -- those were long tough workouts for me.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 03:35 PM  
gladgirl

Susan, congratulations on all your steps forward.
I love the "I get to have habits..."
Have had personal experience with many hard-working nurses. So needed and yet, many times, so under-appreciated. I hope you find joy and get some recognition for the hard work nurses perform!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 07:01 PM  
rhbrand

I am so happy for you!!

It sucks being overworked, management doesn't seem to care, and then you get idiots like that Senator from Washington who thinks we just play cards all night.

I hope you are fulfilled and happy in your new job!
Old 05-03-19, 07:03 PM  
TracyQ

Congratulations Susan. I’m a morning exerciser and have been for years. I have a cup of coffee and then head straight for my workout.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 08:17 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Susan, I just love reading about your passion for your work!!
Good for you pushing through your early morning exercise routine. You're inspirational.
My thoughts exactly. You said it best Lucky Star. So proud of you Susan!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 09:29 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Susan, very happy for you and it was a joy to read your post!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morning exercise, morning exercisers