Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-17, 09:44 PM  
BunnyHop

I've only just had a total abdominal hysterectomy, so pardon the gigantic amount of rambling I'm about to do.

This subject is pretty much on my mind every moment of the day.

I have a scar across my belly that's still tender should I forget. (Had surgery in early February)

My energy level is MUCH better than it was before the surgery, and overall I just feel good despite the fact that I'm still experiencing sleep disruptions that are likely hormonal. At least now when I wake up I can get back to sleep. Before, I was constantly waking up with nightmares/intense dreams/racing heart, and good luck getting back to sleep after that, LOL!

It's not so much that I'm hurting, just that somehow the bit of the scar on the surface is tender. Guess those nerves are still recovering. Things like long car rides and sitting for extended periods are kind of uncomfortable just because my scar gets tender and the bursitis in my hips doesn't like it either. Frustratingly, sitting to work on a jigsaw puzzle is also out, at least for now.

I only took pain meds for about a week after surgery, but yes, I was uncomfortable for quite a while. I can only take tylenol, no advil or ibuprofen (they irritate my stomach).

In some ways I wish I'd had the surgery sooner. I had a fibroid and all kinds of trouble because of that, and because of the progesterone I took to combat bleeding. TMI, I know, but now that I don't have a uterus any more, I only take a little bit of estrogen and life is much better. I'm also using a bit of estrogen cream, applied topically. The worst part of that is the price. Estrogen cream is expensive. Yikes. I don't know if I'll need to keep using that, still don't have bloodwork back from my most recent doctor visit.

Honestly, the years I spent feeling miserable with the fibroid did a serious number on my physical fitness overall, so my primary goal lately is rebuilding my stamina. So far, so good, but am currently on my second rest day in a row. Gotta get moving.

Pay close attention to whatever limitations your doctor places on your physical activity, and just live within them. Don't over do it, you may not injure yourself, but you'll make yourself sore, uncomfortable and tired, and slow your recovery.

Stuff like doing laundry and getting the trash bin to the curb was a real nuisance.

In my case, I do think the fact that I'm full time caregiver to my elderly dad had a serious impact on my recovery. Once my sister went home (she stayed with us for about ten days) it was just the two of us, coping. Even with people coming in to drive us to his doctor's appointments and lift his wheelchair in and out of the car life was kind of tough.

Unhappily enough, I had to put up with my sister's grousing about how my recovery seemed to be so much slower than her own recoveries from her cesareans, but my doctor assures me that the surgeries are NOT the same, and the recoveries aren't the same either. (And yes, my doctor has been consistently pleased with my results, so I must be doing something right.)

Doing the laundry all the time was a huge chore, and yes, I was very careful to follow my doctor's advice on how to cope.

Even so, I think all the stuff I have to do every day was probably more than I should have done, and probably made me more tired and sore, for longer than is likely typical. Because of that, I didn't actually start working out in any way at all until about six weeks after surgery. It seemed to me that I just needed to reserve my strength and get my rest when I could.

I took regular naps, which helped, though I'm not sure it did my sleeping habits any favors. Still trying to return to normal with regular hours.

So far, so good for me, with workouts, but I'm still taking the slow, steady and consistent route. Jessica Smith and Classical Stretch workouts have been a godsend, as I can split up my workout time to suit my needs. Things like pidgeon and pretzel poses are still uncomfortable for me, so I just modify and skip them. OTOH, doing ab work in general, does seem to help, even if it isn't comfy, and has never been my favorite. Core strength is helpful.

I had to sleep on my back with my knees over a bolster for about two months after the surgery. Not sure of the exact time frame, but it was just a bit longer than six weeks.

FYI: A king size pillowcase fits perfectly over my round yoga bolster, and made things much more comfortable. I still use it sometimes, but don't sleep with it under the covers any more.
Old 04-26-17, 10:10 PM  
bayportsmom

Anna! (Bunnyhop) - I'm probably going to read your post a hundred times in the next few weeks. Lots of good advice 😊 I have similar TMI circumstances haha.
Going to a gym is out of the question, and thankfully my work uniform is navy blue. I was prescribed progesterone, but never did take it. I'm happy to hear you overall feel better and have increased energy. That's what I'm hoping for!! I'm not happy to hear estrogen cream is expensive. 😥
Old 04-27-17, 12:59 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayportsmom View Post
Anna! (Bunnyhop) - I'm probably going to read your post a hundred times in the next few weeks. Lots of good advice 😊 I have similar TMI circumstances haha.
Going to a gym is out of the question, and thankfully my work uniform is navy blue. I was prescribed progesterone, but never did take it. I'm happy to hear you overall feel better and have increased energy. That's what I'm hoping for!! I'm not happy to hear estrogen cream is expensive. 😥
Glad to share what little I've learned through my own experience.
I wasn't allowed to drive for about ten days after surgery, I'm guessing because I'd been under anesthesia and on pain meds for a while? I was definitely glad to have someone else drive me home. The doctor did suggest getting one of those stretchy back brace elastic band things, and turning it so the supportive bit was across my belly should I need to get in the car right at first. It did kind of help, but wearing it too long wasn't comfy either.

I was in the hospital for a few days, and though my memories are fuzzy because of meds, I think they had me up and walking the day after surgery, encouraging me to get up and move. Took the catheter out, I think in a deliberate effort to get things back to normal quickly, and get me up and back to the bathroom on my own for the exercise, even if I did have to get a nurse help me since I had an iv on a pole to haul around, and was generally kinda awkward.

Getting up out of bed, sitting down on the toilet, doing what needs doing (owie!), standing up again, each it's own little logistical adventure in pain avoidance, LOL!! Pain meds only go so far. All that stuff was uncomfortable, but in retrospect I'm not sure I got enough pain meds once I was out of recovery. Not trying to be scary, just saying that when I was lying in bed doing nothing, I wasn't all that uncomfortable. The catheter creates a sense of pressure all the time. it's not painful, but it's there. Actually rolling over in bed to swing my legs off the side of the bed?Ouch. All the more awkward because they'd put an iv line in my hand right at my wrist, by my thumb, and that's pretty much where I'd brace myself when trying to sit upright when getting out of bed. Had a bit of a bruise there. (Didn't have presence of mind to suggest we get me out of bed on the other side ,where I could press up with my other (dominant) hand, fwiw.)

Definitely talk with them about how they'll administer pain meds once you're out of recovery. There's no need to be as uncomfortable as I was. Once I got home and on a regular schedule of doses of the prescription, life was much more comfortable, and I had no trouble tapering off of them after a few days.

They had me at nil by mouth for ages, maybe they were worried I'd be queasy? Not sure. I was physically uncomfortable, but once I woke up, I don't recall any trouble like that. My release home after a d&c a few years ago was delayed because they gave me extra pain meds without also giving me something for nausea, so maybe this time they were trying to be extra careful not to give me the wrong combo of meds and food? Definitely didn't have any queasyness this time round, which was a relief, but wow, was my mouth dry. Weird what little you have to notice just sitting in bed.

Definitely bring a good treatment lip product like Blistex. My lips were crazy dry and that saved them. I also was glad to have brought my nail clippers and little glass file to trim a ragged nail. (my nails don't do well with no strengthening polish on, and all that hand washing, yikes!) Oh, and bring a toothbrush, toothpaste and a cup to swish and spit in, if you can't get to the sink on your own.

Ack! rambling again. Sorry, but maybe some tidbit of it will help someone else feel a bit better prepared for what there is to go through.

Thinking back on the discomforts has been something of a motivator for me. (As in, at least I'm not THAT sore ... at least I have the freedom to get up and get out of bed on my own ... my own mattress is SO much more comfortable than the hospital one, no matter how often I've thought I should replace it. )

Funnily enough, sitting was about the most uncomfortable thing I could do for quite a while, so I learned to either lie down or stand up when I had the chance.

And as I say, I think overdoing it, general fatigue played a huge role in my recovery. Dad was in the hospital for a day or two himself just as I was getting back to normal, and I honestly enjoyed being able to take a little break from caring for him all on my own. Felt great, but then wore myself out the day he came home. Seriously over did it, sigh. Should not have made that trip to the bookstore no matter how much I wanted that no-sodium cookbook. Live and learn, right?

I got smart before the surgery and reorganized my room, tidying things away and putting an easy chair in there. I've used it as a sturdy base for barre type work, and tricep dips, LOL!! In some ways I'd rather have the rebounder in that space, but I do like the chair.

It's been very nice to have my space so well organized. For a while after surgery I used one of those gripper things to pick stuff up off the floor, or reach things down from the cabinet. Bending over was kind of exciting, LOL! But that stage passed away pretty quickly. Would have been faster without all of dad's laundry, LOL! (He needs to change clothes a couple of times a day, disposable pants, bladder emergencies, etc., and needs help getting things off and on. No big drama, but kind of never ending. Thank goodness the washing machine and dryer have handled it well.)
Old 04-27-17, 01:05 AM  
BunnyHop

oh, and me, rambling again.

One of the things I had to think about in recovery is that my hips are tight, so getting socks on is a bit of a chore even when I'm not recovering from abdominal surgery. Actually bought some slip on shoes i could wear barefoot just to side step the issue, but did persuade my sister to help me put my socks on one day. (She grumbled, apparently her hips aren't as tight as mine. Ah, well. )
Old 04-27-17, 05:08 AM  
bearcatfan

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy about 15 years ago due to endometriosis. It was the final surgery after a bunch of surgeries trying to "solve" the problem.

Hands down the best decision I ever made. No pain, no periods. My recovery time was not that bad ...at the time I had a very active toddler and needed some help here and there. My doctor kept me in the hospital almost a week because my surgery was difficult due to adhesions, but I doubt that would fly these days. By the time I was out of the hospital I was feeling great, relatively speaking.

I have never been on any kind of patch or cream, and honestly have not experienced anything health-wise that would make me want to go on them. I am now 51, and I have gained about 10 lbs. which is probably more due to my own habits than the surgery itself.

Perimenopause and menopause affect everyone differently, but they do affect everyone eventually.
Old 04-27-17, 06:30 AM  
jackie7

Took out my uterus and one ovary three years ago. Due to fibroids, my uterus was the size of a 24 week pregnancy. The hysterectomy was so that a colon resection could be performed. To make a long story short, I was cut from belly button down into my pubic area. Strangely, I had no pain, so no pain meds. I was allowed to drive, but no bending or exercise.

Since the surgery, my intestines are better, no colon resection!

The surgery was the best thing, wish I had done it sooner. My incontinence has almost disappeared and no more bathroom problems.

Good luck!
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 06:37 AM  
bayportsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie7 View Post
Took out my uterus and one ovary three years ago. Due to fibroids, my uterus was the size of a 24 week pregnancy. The hysterectomy was so that a colon resection could be performed. To make a long story short, I was cut from belly button down into my pubic area. Strangely, I had no pain, so no pain meds. I was allowed to drive, but no bending or exercise.

Since the surgery, my intestines are better, no colon resection!

The surgery was the best thing, wish I had done it sooner. My incontinence has almost disappeared and no more bathroom problems.

Good luck!
Thank you, I'm hoping for these happy side effects as well!
Old 04-27-17, 09:30 AM  
kimzwirez

happy about hysterectomy

I hope you have a good experience with your upcoming hysterectomy. I had mine 11 years ago. It was done vaginally and I still have my ovaries. I was hesitant to get it done for years because of my mother's experience way back in the 70s, so for a very long time I lived with extremely painful periods, tons of bleeding, and an unpredictable cycle. After being diagnosed with HGSIL I decided it was time to give up and get the surgery. I felt SO MUCH BETTER afterwards!! I guess I wasn't even aware how awful I felt before getting it done. The pathology report showed that I had adenomyosis and fibroid tumors, in addition to the HGSIL. Within a week I was so much more optimistic, I changed my diet and started walking until I got the go-ahead from my gyno to lift. Then I started doing my Firm videos. It made a huge positive difference in my life.
kimzwirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-17, 09:12 AM  
bayportsmom

I know this has been said before, but I wish we had a "like" button!! Thank you all for helping me feel better! I'm sitting here trying to decide what to do for my last workout for a while. (I'm working 12 hour shifts Saturday and Sunday, surgery on Monday). So many favorites!!! I'm thinking maybe CLX get lean intervals. So fun!

Have a great day everyone!💜💜
Old 04-28-17, 01:04 PM  
cindyw75

I had a partial hysterectomy in late 2015. It was done through my abdomen, with an incision just above my bikini area.

I will say that we all recover differently. I kept hearing about people who felt great and were moving around in 1 week, but for me it took longer. I was sore, there was a weird sensation around my incision, I was bloated for about 6 weeks. Riding in a car was uncomfortable for about 4 weeks. I couldn't wear jeans for about 2 months. BUT I felt great once I healed. My surgery was in October 2016, and I was back to exercise in late December.

The biggest thing I learned was to listen to your own body, and don't push yourself to meet someone else's recovery expectations.

Things to keep in mind during recovery:

1) Pillows are your friend! I had tons all around me to get comfy in bed.
2) Gas-X!!! You will have really bad gas pain after surgery. Gas-X was part of my life for about 3 weeks during recovery.
3) Have comfy clothes...you will be swollen/bloated, and I preferred my clothes to be somewhat loose.
4) Have help. Don't lift anything heavy. And listen to your body!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominal surgery, hysterectomy, pretzel