Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-20, 06:12 PM  
Helen

SANDY
You've reminded me to be VERY grateful for "feeling fine" most of the time. If I kept a gratitude journal ....
Maybe I should - they're supposed to be good for one's psychology, and that feeds into physical health.

Farm stay was lovely - caught sight of the family of wallabies that live there, and did NOT catch sight of any snakes; and the weather was perfect! DH is still out there - finishing building a new trailer.

Wednesday = Karen Voight - Energy Sprint.
An 83min workout, but buddy can't last that long, so told her to wave at me (FaceTime) when she'd had enough - we went until just before the upper body started (57min).

Just the most gorgeous day again today - the weather has been fabulous the entire holidays so far, and I've done VERY little work. If I resist the temptation for the rest of the week, average hours/week will be down to only 40 - that's a worthy goal!!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 08:10 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
SANDY
You've reminded me to be VERY grateful for "feeling fine" most of the time. If I kept a gratitude journal ....
Maybe I should - they're supposed to be good for one's psychology, and that feeds into physical health.
I started journaling before this nonsense started. I missed a few days when things got busy and noticed a definite change in how I felt. I went right back to it. I answer 4 prompts daily, it takes just a few minutes. The affirmations seem to help also. Although I just heard that they don't rewire your brain the way meditation does. I have yet to figure out how to manage that piece of my puzzle long term.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your vacation Helen.
Old 10-08-20, 08:19 AM  
Vantreesta

Buff, if you don't mind sharing, what four daily prompts do you use? I've been trying to figure out the differences and relationships of intentions, affirmations, goals and habits.

I've had a daily intention this week (same each day) but so far it hasn't made much difference. I'm really struggling with motivation and self-discipline and it seems worse than usual. I'm also feeling more emotional since my dad went back home so I don't know if the grief finally bubbling up is making things harder.

I am working on habit stacking to automate as much of my day as I can. When I look at the next task and say I don't wanna, I'm trying to tell myself that's nice, just do it anyway and then it's done. Sometimes it works.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 07:00 PM  
Helen

BUFF
Can I second Vannie's question on the prompts?
I kept a diary for several decades but it became a place to vent, so was full of negative stuff when going back over it, so stopped years ago.

Yes, meditation is VERY good for our overall well-being - amazingly so, & the more I've learned about HOW good for us it is, the more I persevere with it.
Hmmm... might sit & try NOW.

Thursday:
Quite a warm day so buddy ditched on a workout via FaceTime - her house was too hot, but invited us (Alice & me) to go for a >> hill/beach walk << around dusk. Ended being ~90 floors. We did two laps of the stairs down/up, which took about an hour. It's only 5min drive from home & the beach is typically deserted.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-08-20, 08:04 PM  
buffmama

The prompts come from a five minute journal by Intelligent Change. They are:

AM:
I am grateful for: 3 things
What would/will make today great? 3 things
Daily Affirmation I am:
PM:
3 amazing things that happened today:
How could I have made today better?

I skip the last question since it just feels like pressure to me. My answer was always about doing more when in reality I should be finding ways to do less.

I do this in a notebook (I didn't buy their journal) and usually it's really small stuff that I'm writing about and the same stuff comes up again and again - the same way I want the same presents every holiday season because those are the ones that make me happy! My affirmations lately have come from my workouts and whatever affirmations they're promoting that day. They're all good but I'm not always good at coming up with them.
Old 10-08-20, 08:50 PM  
Vantreesta

Thank you for sharing, buff! My gratitude lists are usually pretty similar too. I try to think harder and look for more things during the day.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 10-08-20, 09:42 PM  
Helen

Thankyou Buff!!

Starting back at work on Monday - sounds like this weekend is timely to start. Going back to work is always a downer.
I'm sure to have a nice little notebook for this somewhere, but an excuse to purchase pretty stationery could be the FIRST thing to be grateful for!

ETA
Just read a work email - a teacher died yesterday.
He was the smartest person in the whole school, only about 55, rode his bike to work every day, lean but not gaunt, and SUCH a kind and calm manner, softly spoken. He died of a heart attack whilst surfing.
DEFINITELY heading out for that journal!! I'm feeling a bit weird.

ETA
Done. Whilst out, booked a hair appointment (only get a straight trim a few times a year) and have to wait an hour so filled in the journal for the morning.
Added “and why” to what would make today great
Added to P.M. “Plan for tomorrow: 3 things”

Have a wonderful day

ETA
whilst cleaning windows, stepped down with my 'bad' leg and OUCH!!! Settled after 5min, but cut my plans for a while.
Eventually took Alice for a 90min walk downtown - restrictions must have been lifted as all the restaurants & bars were FULL. Warm evening, no chance of rain - everyone was out enjoying it.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-10-20, 09:06 AM  
buffmama

Sandy - Inquiring minds want to know who's AJ and what is their 30 day ab challenge?
Old 10-10-20, 11:27 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Sandy - Inquiring minds want to know who's AJ and what is their 30 day ab challenge?
It's Action Jacquelyn, and I did her 100 rep leg barre challenge in June. It's 100 reps of ab exercises. So far they have all been about 3-5 minutes long.

I found the leg challenge effective, so I figured why not the ab?
Old 10-11-20, 12:34 AM  
Vantreesta

Helen, I'm so sorry about your coworker. So young! We really never do know what tmrw will bring or if we will even get a tmrw. Sending you hugs.