Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-20, 06:48 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've been reading through this thread with interest. Believe it or not, I have never done any Cathe because her stuff looks very intimidating, but I'm looking at her Perfect Pump DVD and considering buying it. I see all of you talking about using 30-40 lbs and I'm a bit confused. I know Cathe likes to use heavy weights but the heaviest weight I have is...10 lbs! I don't have room to store a lot of dumbbells and the adjustable weights are expensive, so if I did this DVD with only 10 lbs, would I get anything out of it?
Old 10-27-20, 06:53 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've been reading through this thread with interest. Believe it or not, I have never done any Cathe because her stuff looks very intimidating, but I'm looking at her Perfect Pump DVD and considering buying it. I see all of you talking about using 30-40 lbs and I'm a bit confused. I know Cathe likes to use heavy weights but the heaviest weight I have is...10 lbs! I don't have room to store a lot of dumbbells and the adjustable weights are expensive, so if I did this DVD with only 10 lbs, would I get anything out of it?
Yes you can still get something out of it. Even Cathe mentioned you can do it with no weights. If you have a weighted vest, you can use that.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 08:35 AM  
LoveVA

We have 40 lb dumbbells here, but that's only because my husband works out at home as well. I did use it in the Lower Body workout.

Lower body: I really liked this one. Because no exercise is repeated, it really moves along. I also liked the bonus and I think I'll always do this workout with the bonus added.

High impact hiit: This felt like high intermediate to me. As I had warned earlier, there are a ton of burpees/squat thrusts and air jacks. Still, it was a nice addition to my hiit collection and I will use this one quite a bit. Her 40/20 continues to be the hardest one for me.

Mobility/Yoga: I approach every yoga workout that is not Ultimate Yogi as something that I will probably like but not love. That keeps me from having to Joni-O it. I don't have any other mobility workouts so I have no comparisons. As a result, it was fine to me. Liked it, didn't love it. It will be perfect for a weekend workout where I need to do something, but don't feel like doing anything where I have to work too hard.

I will get a lot of use out of the extended stretch segment. I feel like cool down/stretches are getting shorter and shorter in some of these new workouts.

Still left to try: Upper Body, Low Impact Hiit
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 10:56 AM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
The maximum I have is 10 pounds as a set. I have a 12 lb kettlebell if a single weight is called for. I did the workout the other night and if was fine. Use what works for you.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 11:10 AM  
darbyndoug

I did the Mobility one today. It was harder than I thought...my leg muscles were definitely feeling the burn at different points of the video. An effective blend of exercises that I really enjoyed. Would love to see more of this type of video from Cathe.
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 11:51 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I did the upper body/core bonus/extended stretch premix today; it was a little over 45 minutes which was perfect for me.

I will never go as heavy as Cathe, especially since I don't have weights greater than 20 lbs but think I will get a lot of use out of this. Really like the chest flies with leg extension move as I can feel it in my core. Overall it felt a little rushed but she packed a lot into 30 minutes.

The core bonus I loved! The moves were slow and controlled so I felt I could really concentrate on the working muscles. The stretch was okay, nothing special but am glad it's included in some of the pre-mixes. I prefer the extended stretches in the LITE series.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 01:24 PM  
ChelePA

Copied from check in:

I finished all the workouts in Perfect 30...yay!

Today I did Perfect Pump Upper and Lower Body including bonuses followed by the Yoga routine.

Let me say for those of you who can lift as heavy as Cathe for every exercise...just wow!!! My heaviest dumbbells are 25s. I was basically able to keep up with her for lower body except when she exceeded my weight limit. If I wasn't lifting as heavy, I tried to go a little deeper into the move. As I said in another post, the bonus is a nice add on to work those butt muscles. The upper body had me quivering. I'm nowhere near as strong as Cathe so I lifted as heavy as I could and wow did I feel it! I added the bonus at the end but I heard she mixes it throughout the routine in a premix with the appropriate muscle group. May try that next time. I am not a fan of heavy weight work or repetition so these workouts are literally perfect for me...haha. Short and sweet with no dread factor.

Yoga has also never been a favorite. Recently I've been trying to add on chapters from Cathe's other workouts. Therefore, I didn't have high expectations. But I really liked the pace and exercises in this one. The intense floor hip stretch was done in a previous series. It always gets me...my hips are usually tight so I really like this move. I definitely will be using this one at the end of other intense workouts.

I'm now looking at the rotations posted in her guide to see how I want to use this new series.

Can't wait to hear more thoughts and reviews!!!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 03:25 PM  
angie_nrs

I finally got the workouts in the mail today! I tend to prefer interval and Hiit workouts so one of the Hiit's was my first choice.

I did the Low Impact Hiit with the bonus pyramid Hiit and extended stretch premix. It was a nice little 47 minute workout. Perfect

I liked that it was slower paced so that the moves could be big and full. I also liked that there was a lot of lateral work that hit the outer butt and inner thighs. It also helps keep my ankles strong. I appreciated the unique moves that haven't necessarily been in her other workouts, making this one feel brand new. The queing was excellent. As far as the music, I remember the first song from another Cathe series but can't remember which one. Other than that, I don't really recall anything about the music, so I guess it was fine.

The pyramid add on was also slower paced. I like that the harder exercises are at the beginning of the w/o including jumps on and off the step. I also liked the timer at the corner of the screen. Great add on!

The extended stretch was nothing special.....pretty much the same stretch on other workouts. I did LIC and BM2 last week and I think it was pretty much the same stretch as one of those. Actually I went back and just did the regular stretch and liked that one better b/c it stretched the inner thigh better and hammies as well.

It wasn't as hard as her original Hiit workouts, but it's certainly not a waste of time either, largely b/c you are in control of how big you want to go. I even added a bit of impact. I was out of breath at times and I was soaked with sweat and red faced when I was done.

I really liked this workout and will definitely get lots of use out of it! Yeah!
Old 10-27-20, 04:33 PM  
laurajhawk

I did the Mobility workout today. I do lots of yoga, so I won't do this one regularly, but I did like it. It's a good, thorough stretch. I'll use it when I'm very sore from workouts or recovering from illness/downtime and feel extra stiff.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-20, 07:42 PM  
gigi

I've got a bit of DOMS from Perfect 30. I did MBF Week 1 Total Body Burn and started the Perfect 30 yoga but I was too dang tired and quit. I think I will like the yoga though. Another thing to note in the Perfect 30 workouts is there are no exercise demonstrations. I don't mind this as Cathe packs quite a bit of workout and exercises in 30 minutes. The more I do them the more familiar I will be. Also, with the workout blender if I wanted to, I could add an extra 5 to 10 second break.

Tags
cathe, cathe perfect30, dumbbell size, heels elevated, mbf, perfect 30, perfect flow, perfect30, perfect30 reviews