Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-05, 09:56 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtor-Don
Sounds like your treadmill is way overdue for post-warranty servicing, such as:

realtor-Don
Don, thanks for the tips, but my oldie-but-goodie really isn't worth the effort at this point. It's old, it's noisy, it's got a very skinny track. I guess I could make the effort but I REALLY want a pretty new one. I think I'll print out your suggestions and clean her up to see if maybe she could fetch a few $$$ in my yard sale this spring.

Speaking of the pretty new one (Proform), there is sad news. It came today and it was broken. One of the brackets that hold the wheels on was crushed. Can you believe the wheel brackets on a 160 lb piece of equipment are made out of plastic?

Looks like it got squashed when the box got picked up by clamp. Oddly on two sides of the box, it is marked to not move via clamp. On the other two it says you can move via clamp. But, it looks to me that if you clamp it and get anywhere near the corner of the box, you'll crush the wheel housings every time.

They are supposed to send out an undamaged one Wednesday. I'm tempted to cancel it, because that plastic wheel housing thing really bothers me. It would've cost, what, maybe an extra $2 or $3 to make those housings out of metal? Makes me wonder what they scrimped on that I can't see.

On the other hand, it is pretty. I'm such a flip-flopper lately.

Laura (LCC)
Edited to add: I went to Consumer Reports and read their test results and I didn't realize that the same company (Icon Health & Fitness) makes NordicTrack, Pro-Form, and Reebok treadmills. I thought NordicTrack was supposed to be ritzier than ProForm. But, given the CR results (nothing under $1,000 got a very high rating), I think I'll stick with this one---assuming the replacement comes undamaged and it works. After all, I got the extended warrantee, so I can make the guy come out every week if I have to.
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 11:05 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I have a Pro Form treadmill. I wanted to get a good treadmill without spending a lot of money. I paid about $650 for my ProForm. It folds up but still takes up a lot of space. It has all the bell & whistles (including a fan, which is one of the best features to me). It also has great cushioning for running. I purchased mine from hsn.com and also bought the extended warranty. Most sites now have free shipping.

I think Pro Form makes one of the best treadmills in their price range. Good Luck!!
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 01:20 PM  
kila

Wow thanks for all the replies. Now you guys got me thinking of more questions before I actually invest.

You guys have kind of gotten me scared with this maintence thing. How much maintence is actually involved. I don't want something where I have to constantly be doing something to it. Me and my husband are not the handy types. And he would kill me if I say there's something wrong with the treadmill.

Also I was leaning towards getting my treadmill from sears. they also had a special if you bought one no intrest or charges on your sears card until Jan. 2006. How much does an extended warranty from sears cost? Also does the sears warranty cover things that the proform warranty does not cover? How much is it for sears to deliver the treadmill. My husband and I were just thinking we would try and take it home ourselves if we bought one. But I don't know if we can squeeze it in the explorer. That poor car you would not believe the things we have squeezed in there.

I did see the proform on HSN. It looked nice. In fact the one I was looking at sears looked like that one but it did not have the arms. I don't think I would need that part. But it was tempting it even said it came with a free outfit. and some Ifit Cds.

I was wondering for those of you who have a two story home. Do most of you just have your treadmill on the first floor? Or have any of you hauled it upstairs. I don't know if I want it hauled upstairs it seems so heavy to have it being upstairs. But I don't know if I would want one and have to leave it in plain site in either my leaving room or dining area. I think if I do get it I may have to use the idea that another VFer said that it makes a nice racket to display pretty blankets. I might just have to go out and find a nice quilt if I get the treadmill.
kila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 02:07 PM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Kila--This is pretty timely because I just bought a treadmill from Sears last week. I bought a NordicTrak. With the extended warranty and the sale price I paid about $1,000.00. The warranty was around $140.00. We brought it home ourselves in a pickup. I was tempted to try to fit it in our Durango, but decided it would be easier to just go get the pickup. I think it probably would have fit in the Durango with the back seats all down.

I put it in the basement, which wasn't too bad because we have an outside access to the basement that involves only four steps. There was some assembly required, but it only took about a half an hour. Keep in mind that my dh is a farmer and is good at that kind of thing. I hope this helps! I am so glad to be able to run again, since we live in Minnesota and it is very icey right now. Good luck!
Old 01-04-05, 03:51 PM  
Angelap03

Question Smooth fitness treadmills?

Does anyone have a Smooth Fitness model treadmill? Runner's World has rated them very well in the past and they are a little cheaper than Landice but the thought of buying something without actually running on it first scares me.

Besty, what model of the Nordi Trak treadmill did you get? I assume you had to assemble it? I hope that was easy!

Angela
Angelap03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 09:27 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Sears charged me $50 to deliver mine.

I don't have the receipt in front of me, but I think a 3 year extended warrantee was about $140 and 5 years was about $200. Included in that, you can have it cleaned up and serviced once a year.

My older treadmill was a lot lighter and smaller and we hauled it down to the basement (and back up when I moved). I wouldn't try that with this one. It's too big and clunky, so it's staying on the ground floor. Assuming the replacement comes tomorrow.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 12:40 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Kila, the only large piece of exercise equipment that's not in my basement is my treadmill---I had 2 very large, muscular men who work in the store where I bought it, come to my house and carry it up 2 flights of stairs to the upper level of my house. I like to watch the TV while I am on the treadmill; I bought the Sex & the City DVDs, and 2 episodes go so fast, I forget I'm on the treadmill and end up doing a lot more distance than when I don't have something interesting to watch.

bahaghari, you're welcome . Enjoy your new Landice! I think you will be very happy with it.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 07:56 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelap03
Does anyone have a Smooth Fitness model treadmill? Runner's World has rated them very well in the past and they are a little cheaper than Landice but the thought of buying something without actually running on it first scares me.
I'd be interested in knowing this as well. They do get a great rating and are at a great price but I'd like to hear some positive feedback from someone.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-05, 08:32 AM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelap03
Besty, what model of the Nordi Trak treadmill did you get? I assume you had to assemble it? I hope that was easy!

Angela
Angela, it is an A2050 NordicTrak. The only assembly was putting on the "stand" underneath so it can stay up when folded up and putting on the console. It wasn't too bad. It was a lot easier than putting together my NordicTrak recumbant. That one took a couple of hours.
Old 01-07-05, 08:43 AM  
lexybeth1

treadmill

Hi I am also considering a Smooth 5.15 treadmill, it has very good reviews and I see it is on sale for 999 with free shipping right now....it was a 5.0 but has been upgraded to a 5.15, with a few better features than before...Any info on the Smooth treadmill line? Anyone? THanks! Misty
lexybeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote