Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-20, 05:47 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I confess I skimmed, and am replying to what stuck out.

Vantreesta, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. Your last year and this year are a bit like mine and I definitely feel for you. I think often about what you told me when we met--that we're at an age where we just don't get a year with no big challenges anymore. I suppose there's no one to shield us from those things. Do you decorate for Christmas at all? A couple of houses in our neighborhood are already decked out.

Happy early birthday!

Daphne, this PT has taken quite a different approach. The previous one was always the same--moist heat with e-stim, a few stretches, then strengthening followed by massage and some scraping. This one does something a bit different every visit and always stays with me. She's done lots of stretching, some percussion massage, one session of needling (which was more painful and more effective than expected), and quite a variety of exercises. She did a lot of transverse ab work initially. I do feel like at this point I need more focused strength. I had to cancel this week's appointments but will be back at it this week.

Allison, interesting thing about training--apparently Trump signed something to stop government agencies and contractors from doing training on diversity and inclusion. I was supposed to work on that, and it was delayed, but then I guess the Coast Guard analyzed it heavily and found a way to do it anyway.

I need to try that Beyonce class! I keep reading raves about it. Are you still doing Peloton while doing Body Beast?

Also, have you ever tried melatonin? I have a couple friends who swear by it and others who say it does nothing. Seems harmless enough though if you want to try. I might! I'm back to broken sleep again.

On that note, I haven't worked out all week because I was hit with some sort of sickness! Definitely not COVID--I got a free test Tuesday and it was negative. Seems like the usual sinus stuff that turns into a cough. I am completely resting and it seems to be going away! Planning to skip workouts until Monday.

Work is still super slow. I've started doing training on LinkedIn Learning. I signed up for a free 30 day trial and will cancel at the end of it. There's a ton of free material there. It's mostly videos and they come with lots of templates and worksheets so it seems worth my time.

With the time change (we don't do DST) it's sort of easier and sort of harder. I got up at 6 or 6:30 this week and honestly wasn't at my computer until I dropped the kids off, so 8 AM. I do turn my phone on right away though. I really think that once I have projects, I still just won't be as busy as at my previous job. We shall see!

The nice thing is that even though the pay is lower, health insurance is free for me. The kids and DH will stay on his and overall it will save us money!

I feel so out of shape already, only having missed 5 days of workouts. Ick! I logged food and was super careful for about 2.5 weeks and it seriously made NO difference. I was the same weight from age 22 to about age 45 so I guess the 4-5 lbs I gained the past couple of years isn't bad. Still, I am annoyed that I just can't seem to get rid of it! 2020, ugh.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-20, 07:18 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Crashing the Check In ....

And then I'll be gone! I don't know why I clicked to read - I guess cuz I saw my buddy Daphne post, so I wanted to see what she was up to!

Just a couple of comments. I forget who said what, so I'll just throw them out there.
  • I was much the same with a cheap Pro Form Rower. I told myself if I wasn't going to learn to row, I had to get rid of it (having had it in the house for 2 years) I found Dark Horse on You Tube. LOVE him and his form pointers
  • Promised myself 1 month and 18 rowing sessions, if I didn't like it, didn't use it, out it goes
  • I managed 18 sessions to get down my form (thank you Shane) and I then moved on to some of the scenic rows
  • I got frustrated with You Tube due to commercials. I'd get rowing and BAM! a commercial. Grumble, grumble, not paying for premium
  • Made no rowing goal for October, consequently rowed very little
  • Daphne got a HYDROW (color me green with envy) and got me all excited about rowing again
  • I downloaded the Hydrow App. If Daphne can use the Peloton App, why can't I try the Hydrow app?
  • One problem?? Hydrow app is STRICTLY apple. (Shame on them!) I am using it on my Ipad.
  • Oh and I forgot --- halfway into my 18 sessions of rowing, Son gifted me his WATER rower because he wasn't using it. And he bought a peloton!

To help the person who has the crush on Denis accept his Man Bun (and make him even cuter than he already is. . .) He grows his hair to donate it to a foundation (I don't know if It's locks of love or something simliar. . . ) So the man bun is for a good cause. I miss his long hair!

I am so glad that Daphne got the Hydrow rower!!!! Cuz that caused me to get the app (which after my 30 day trial, I WILL be subscribing to when my trial runs out) . Hydrow is described as the Peloton of rowers and it truly is .... I am holding out to see if Peloton comes out with a rower. For now? I'm satisfied with my water rower (a step up from my Pro Form) and the app. Life is good.

I will also say that my two months spent with Shane and other sources taught me the proper form and I have no problems. I love the long rowing workouts as they are almost zen-like for me. And it (deceivingly) works a ton of muscle groups. BONUS.

:: back to your regularly scheduled Check in !!! ::

Thanks for letting me crash.
Cleda
(who normally resides in the "Every Day In _____" Check in!)
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-20, 11:23 AM  
Vantreesta

Cleda, I love Shane too! I did the first two days of Rowvember but without a meter it was just too hard. Replacement metter should be here any day and I will get back to it. Since I'm now off schedule I may do it every other day instead of every day, but I'll wait and see how it goes. Someday I hope to get a C2 but that seems unlikely. So now I know what I couldn't find the Hydrow app in the Play store. Shame on them!! I likely would not have done the free trial anyway. I don't pay for apps and I'm not good at giving things up so it's better not to know what I'm missing! I will continue with Shane, which is fine since I like him so much anyway. I really don't do any streaming besides some YouTube and I use a few apps like DoYouYoga and Crossrope. I lurk on the Every Day thread to see what Helen was up to but now she joined our Buff challenge so I get to see her anyway. But it's super impressive how you get your money's worth out of every piece of equipment and app you have! Way to go!

Daphne, when I used the term monitor it may have been misleading. It's just a meter like you would have on a treadmill or elliptical (pre-fancy smart stuff) so there won't be any scenic rows for me unless I put in a Virtual Active or Ambient DVD. I have no problem with that, though. I just want to know my spm and distance! I still will have to guess some on Rowvember bc one of the workouts this week used different damper settings. I don't even have a clue what that means let alone have anything on my basic rower!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 11:34 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Belated happy birthday! I hope you had a good day.

Pratima: I hope you’re feeling better. Yes, I’ve tried melatonin. I fall asleep even faster but still wake up. Ah on the diversity explanation. I’m legislative branch, so we still are doing diversity training too. I’m doin Peloton and Body Beast. I do BB early in the am before work and then either Peloton or run at lunchtime. The lunchtime cardio break has really helped me deal better with some not fun stuff at work.

Cleda: I followed Denis’ whole hair donation story. I have nothing against his long hair, I just find him cuter now.

Me: I finally went to the foot doctor and am getting new orthotics. He thinks that’s all I need to take care of the heel pain.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-20, 01:56 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Still on track this week. The things I complained about with Sagi aren’t bugging me as much the second time through—I guess cause I was expecting them.

I did the Peloton Metallica ride at lunch, and she kicked my butt. It was exactly what I needed on yet another rough work day.
Old 11-20-20, 12:20 PM  
Daphne M

Quick hits

Orthotics - do any of us NOT wear them? For the last two years, I've been using Currex store-bought inserts and I love them.

Peloton - does anyone else use it for the treadmill? I like the Peloton cycling instructors and music I just don't like cycling anymore. Although Sundays with Love is about the only thing that could change my mind.

Hydrow Rower - My favorite row this week was a short sunrise row in Miami with Nick. There were dolphins leaping around him. It was fun doing a row down the Thames too. Going under Tower Bridge - nice!

I bought special shoes for the rower. I'm so hooked.

I'll be back later. Work stuff...
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-20, 12:48 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

According to Facebook memories, I got my first pair of custom orthotics 11 years ago. They also prevent the girls from taking my shoes since none of them have insoles anymore!

I finished week 5 of Body Beast. I struggled this week, I think because work drained me. I’m taking most of next week off work, so hopefully it’ll all feel right again.

I haven’t used Peloton on the tread yet because I don’t have access to one right now. I’m not going anywhere near that tiny Planet Fitness where I have a membership, which I have solely for treadmill access. Whenever it’s safe to return, I plan to try the tread workouts.
Old 11-20-20, 04:55 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - happy 11 -year anniversary with orthotics. I think I got my first pair around 2000. Almost as old as my kids. I won't set foot in my Golds either. I'm sure it's the same filtration system. PS - "man up" would get on my every last womanly nerve.

Pratima - It sounds like your new PT's approach is a better fit for you and it's getting results. I should check out LinkedIn Learning. There are a ton of resources on LinkedIn but I can never navigate the space.

beyonce on Peloton - I keep meaning to check it out. The raves are getting to me.

Treadmill - Maybe I'm the only one in the check-in with a home treadmill? Mine is a low-end model by Sole that I bought at Dick's maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I used to use it only as a last resort (ice, lightning, hip flare-up), but the Peloton app rocked my world.

Vannie - Oh I hope your replacement meter shows up soon. All my numbers are showing improvement so I'm sure yours will too. (Plus I've earned 5 badges on Hydrow. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE BADGES.)

Cleda - SO FUN TO SEE YOU HERE! I know it's just a drop-by but it made me smile. I definitely need to check out Denis and his various hair styles over the years. But Adrian is a hard act to follow on Peloton. I keep forgetting to ask you how you like your water rower. I loved them at Orangetheory. So smooth.

COVID - I know 6 people (or their kids) who have it right now. Be safe out there.

Me - all I do is row, row, row no matter what and some running, hiking and walking. The best time for outdoor workouts is the fall.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 11-23-20, 04:33 PM  
Daphne M

Hi all - how is everyone doing? How do you feel about your stay-at-home Thanksgiving?

Being home is the usual for us, but we won't host the neighbors this year and Jamie and I won't do our traditional morning Turkey Trot 4-miler. Somehow we still have enough food to feed 10 people though.

Fitness - All I'm doing is running and rowing for my workouts and I could not be happier.

Running - I'm averaging 18-22 miles per week with my laid back jog/walk combo. And on Saturday I even ran with my (newer) old running group. I hadn't run with them in a couple of years and it was a blast. There were about 10 of us out there and everyone did a great job of social distancing.

Rowing - I'm still in the honeymoon. I've logged 68,000 meters since the rower arrived 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. When I get to 100K I get a free water bottle. I cannot wait. What is it about "free" swag?

Hydrow LIVE - I did my first "Live" Hydrow class today. I thought it'd have a huge # of participants like the Peloton Live classes, but no. I should have realized that not only is the Hydrow community still relatively small, this Live class was at 2 pm on a Monday and there were only 65 of us. Which means there WAS NOWHERE TO HIDE! It felt like showing up for your first group fitness class at the gym and being put in the front row WITH THE DANCERS. Eek.

My main goal for the row was to focus on technique and not speed but of course my pride took over and pretty soon I was grunting, huffing and puffing. There was one other female in her 60s showing on my live feed and she and I were within 1-5 meters of each other for the whole row. I'd pull ahead on the work intervals and she'd pass me on the rest intervals. What can I say -- I like my rests. She passed me in the last 90 seconds and I never caught up. I have so much room for improvement and that makes me weirdly happy..

Enough about me - is anyone doing a Turkey Trot, virtual or otherwise?
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 11-23-20, 09:49 PM  
Vantreesta

Just a check in. I'm not up for more than that tonight. This afternoon I did XTrain Cardio Leg Blast premix 3 Timesaver rounds 1-6. This was supposed to have been the full workout and done Thursday but it is what it is. I did the premix bc it was almost 3:30 by the time I was able to get started.

Last week I started the Perfect 30/XTrain rotation with another check in buddy. She is on track, I am not! But anyway, last Monday I did Qigong day 8, TurboJam Burn and Perfect 30 Perfect Pump Lower Body + extended stretch. Wednesday I did XTrain All Out Low Impact HIIT + bonus core #1. Thursday I did Qigong day 9, Perfect 30 Perfect Pump Upper Body and Tamilee's floor stretch.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote