Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-20, 09:17 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I have quite a large collection (close to 500) and I find I use the same ones all of the time, or I use streaming (Cathe Live). I also swim laps many days , so I’m not always exercising indoors. I mean to get to my barre and yoga dvds, but I almost never do- lol. I keep track on an Excel spreadsheet. I always check out the listings on Request the Wealth because I like to donate ones that I don’t really need If someone else requests it.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 05:39 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm talking 500 dvds/VHS or more. How do you get to it all? How do you not get paralysis of analysis? My collection is officially large, and it's a bit overwhelming. I look at the workouts, say, "I liked that workout a lot, it stays." Or I say, "nah, I'm going to get around to pilates/barre/[insert untried modality here] so I'm keeping these dvds." But then sometimes, I get overwhelmed and start randomly getting rid of stuff lol!

So how do you do it? Do you feel guilty/overwhelmed? And how big is your collection, so I know I'm not alone?
I've long wondered about this myself. There are so many people here who buy or used to buy everything. I would never be able to deal with the complexity. I have 106 FIRM DVDs and even just with those, I need someone else to create my monthly rotations for me or I would just be sitting on the couch.
Old 07-28-20, 06:04 AM  
Vantreesta

Oooh, I have created so many rotations! Of course, I've never done most of them so... I love doing it as much as working out.

I also don't feel guilty about the size of my collection. As others said, there are worse and more expensive hobbies!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 08:53 AM  
laurajhawk

I don't feel guilty or overwhelmed. Occasionally I feel a little frustrated about the good workouts I'm not doing! But mostly I'm just happy to have all my options and so many workouts that I love.

I always focus on about one to three instructors/sets at a time - for several weeks - just because otherwise I get paralyzed by choice. If I'm not following a rotation or if (as usually) I'm modifying a rotation (i.e. alternating two), I like to write out a schedule at the beginning of the week. I don't like to get up in the morning not knowing what workout I'm going to do because there's too many to choose from! I do allow myself to change if I'm not feeling it that day, but mostly I do what I planned.

I can't see feeling guilty about my DVDs. They aren't that expensive and don't take that much space - sure I could've donated that money, but I can say that about anything I buy from cars to vacations. I'm not an extravagant or wealthy person and I've worked for what I have. And the workouts make me happier AND healthier, so that's a bargain!

My husband collects guitars. So he can't say anything either.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy

Last edited by laurajhawk; 07-28-20 at 08:54 AM. Reason: clarification
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 09:49 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
one thing that looms over my head is how would my family purge my collection when i pass or become incapacitated? this came up when my parents passed away over the past several years, and we had to decide what to do with their possessions. this subject has come up on VF in the past.
Yes...and it is why I'm constantly purging all manner of things...not all the workouts are safe either. I just don't take as hard line approach with them as other items.

I actually discussed with DD and she knows the ones she would keep she says (sounds like 10MS, Cathe and Ellen) ...the others she said would get boxed up and hauled away. Since I have them organized and listed..it's pretty easy for her.

The vidiot in me can't help but hope she'll expand the keep pile...I keep trying

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 02:09 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
one thing that looms over my head is how would my family purge my collection when i pass or become incapacitated? this came up when my parents passed away over the past several years, and we had to decide what to do with their possessions. this subject has come up on VF in the past.
This just gave me the idea that we should each have a VF Legacy Buddy. You put your buddy in your will (I know, right? I don't have one either) as the inheritor of your entire collection. They keep what they want and do something responsible with the rest -- Share the Wealth, VF Roost, distribute them to your mutual checkin ... their choice, but something that gets the videos to a good home.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 02:33 PM  
Carol K

I DO have a Will. But it never occurred to me to choose a beneficiary for my DVDs.
Old 07-28-20, 03:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Oooh, I have created so many rotations! Of course, I've never done most of them so... I love doing it as much as working out.
Oh, me too! At least I used to. It was so fun to come up with new ways to mix things up. I would follow for about a week and then want to mix it up again.

I'm with the ones who say it's (usually not) overwhelming to me. I'm grateful I've mostly kept things because I have definitely come back to things I thought I would never do again.... and I've loved them!

I also have a will/trust, but it does not go into any detail about specific items. I used to think I would want my videos to go to my first friend IRL who shared my love for video exercising. But her life has changed, she has parted with most of her belongings and I know she wouldn't want them at this point. I sometimes think my husband is astute enough to know to come to VF and ask who wants them, but who am I kidding, he wouldn't do that!! Maybe the VF buddy is not a bad idea -- we older folks would need to be partnered up with younger people, but I think we outnumber them, right?
Old 07-28-20, 07:34 PM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I have no doubt my collection is well over 1000 now. I have learned that what I like or feel like doing changes and if I wait long enough, the time will come when I want to do one of my oldies. I also have days where I do parts of workouts, so in one workout I may do pieces of 6 or more workouts. By doing this I can justify keeping many, plus I have the room.

Me!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 07:49 PM  
bubbles76

You all are making me feel so much better :: As for what gets done with your collection when you leave, Big Bubble knows to give it to the nearest battered women's shelter. But I really like the idea of a VF Legacy Buddy too. My collection is huge though.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acupressure, analysis paralysis, big workout collection, decluttering, dvds versus streaming, large collection, videots unite, vidiocy, workout space