Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-13-20, 03:50 PM  
GypsyRose

Margaret Richard Check-In July 2020

Welcome to a new Margaret Richard Check-In

Anyone who works out with Margaret Richard daily or occasionally or who just wants to say Hello is welcome here

I went on a Margaret Richard DVD buying spree a couple of years ago. I did a few sporadically but now I want to focus on her workouts. I just completed the Unplugged 2000 series and the 1900 series Volumes 3&4. I also did Fight Age with Strength & The Spark. One reason to do this check-in is to make notes on the workout as I do them.

My goal with working out at this point is To Move. Do workouts that leave me injury free and stronger. These are my goals. Margaret Richard DVDs match up with my goals.

Rose
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 06:24 PM  
GypsyRose

This morning I did the first section of Beauty to the Bone.

It can be used as a split, as Margaret doesn't combine lower and upper segments like she normally does in her workouts.

I liked it. It would be a good beginner video as she has someone demonstrate the moves. This slowed it down a bit but not too much. The music was okay, jazzy elevator music at first and then loud, I don't know, booming music. Not sure what it was but it was annoying. I like soft and relaxing.

Started with pectorals on the floor with weights at the sides. She did a good amount of reps- I could feel it! Then onto triceps, again on the back with the weights tilting behind. I don't know if that is safe for shoulders? Anyone? And then tricep dips, and back to weights. Good. I then paused the DVD and did some unweighted tricep work from Ballet Beautiful.

Next - biceps, and forearm work. I liked this segment. And then onto delts/rotator cuffs. This was quite good. Onto the mat again for some light back work. And then ab work.

The next segment was the quads and I realized that the segments ran into each other rather than stopping like the Unpluggeds. I went back to the menu and hit cooldown. The ab workout was supposed to be done with the Lower Body.

I could have kept going with the workout but my main goal is to move everyday. 25 minutes working out with Margaret is perfect. I'm not too sore to work out again tomorrow.

So far- I liked Beauty to the Bone quite a bit.
Old 07-14-20, 08:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'll join in It will be a cross training check in for me but getting out my MR collection should help me get back on track with strength training.

I am happy that you like Beauty to the Bone.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 08:32 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi, Rose & Pat.

I'm going to try and join in too. Last month I went through MR's My Body of Work dvds and I started on All My Best. My DS is staying with us this month so I switched over to doing P90x with him. It's not working out so well. I was just doing the weight workouts but after 2 weeks I was feeling puffy. I think going back to MR makes sense at this point.

I have used MR off and on for years and love her workouts. I too will be mixing in other things too if that's ok. I walk daily and also do pilates a couple of times a week so we'll see how it goes.

Unfortunately I hurt my back Sunday walking up a very steep hill with DS during our walk. So I'm resting for a few days but hope to join you very soon. In the meantime, I love reading about and talking MR

Have a great day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 09:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh no, I hope your back feels better soon.
Old 07-14-20, 10:57 AM  
GypsyRose

Welcome, Pat & Summer Breeze!

It's good to read other people's opinions on Margaret's workouts. A few years ago, I spent hours reading the forum trying to figure out which one to buy. Finally, I decided to buy most of them during her great sale. One I did NOT buy was My Body of Work. How is that one Summer Breeze?

I'm going to write some reviews on the workouts I've done this past month so I'll remember what I liked/didn't like about them.
Old 07-14-20, 11:38 AM  
GypsyRose

Review on Unplugged 1900 series Volume 4

I like the 1900 series. Margaret is more focused in the 1900 series than the 2000 series with less chit chat and a bit more exercise focus.

Volume 4 was unbalanced. There were 3 days of inner thigh work and only 1 day of outer thighs and I prefer to work my outer thighs.

The upper body was more balanced- pecs, delts and triceps 3 times, biceps and back twice. So a good week of workouts, just would prefer more time spent on outer thighs.
Old 07-14-20, 12:12 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Back again .

PAT, thanks for the well wishes. I have a history of lower back issues but it's been pain free for a year now so this is disappointing. I hope it's just a spasm that passes soon too.

ROSE, I think I like 1900 more than 2000 too. I think 2000 is a little easier, maybe because of the reasons you mentioned. I do like My Body of Work. It's a compilation of several of her older workouts, similar to how All My Best is set up. But I like using MR that way, half hour at a time, so having more variety like that is good for me. I have Vol 1A and Vol 2A in my journal so I guess they were my favorites. All that to say it's probably not a must have if you have a lot of her workouts though. I'm looking forward to reading more of your reviews. We can compare notes.

summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 12:22 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have found that I prefer 1900 over 2000. She came up with too many "creative" exercises in some of the 2000 workouts.

I wasn't thrilled with the My Body of Work DVDs. I have almost all of her workouts or did at one time so I traded MBOW.
Old 07-14-20, 07:25 PM  
GypsyRose

Hello! Workout today was Beauty to the Bone Lower Body A.
This one was good. Weights were worn for the lower body. I didn't wear them for the inner thighs and I should have since that segment was pretty short. I had injured my right inner thigh years ago through over exercising so I tend to be cautious. Quads were the exercise where you are on the mat, lean back and lift one leg up and down. These are effective and protect the knees. So far so good.

Summer Breeze- do 'twists' hurt your back? Any kind of twist hurts mine. This is one of the reasons I like Margaret Richards as her moves tend to be straightforward.

Pat-yeah, some of the 2000 workouts were 'creative', that's a good word. I'm not sure they were very effective though. I felt like I lost a bit of strength.

Question- do any of you wear ankle weights during quad work? If so, do you wear weights on the ankle or the thigh? Margaret wears thigh weights during the early years and then switches to ankle weights. I wear thigh weights as I thought she said that ankle weights can cause knee or hip problems?

Have a good day!

Tags
margaret richard rotation