Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-20, 08:29 PM  
bfit

OT: easy and healthy cookbook?

My sister-in-law is trying to eat healthier and lose weight, but she is not very interested in cooking. Also, she is preparing meals for only herself. She is eating basically raw vegetables, fruits, and plain chicken breast cooked in the microwave and is finding that really boring. Does anyone know of a cookbook with easy healthy recipes that would be suitable for someone like her?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 09:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you can check the VF Recipe Box forum. also, i tagged this thread with "easy recipe" to see other recipes that VFers have shared.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 09:58 PM  
Non-Dancer

I think she might like the Hungry Girl cookbooks. Lisa Lillien writes them and she has a web site (https://www.hungry-girl.com/) that has plenty of recipes if she wants to try some first. Many of them are single serving recipes or recipes that serve 2 people. They are easy to follow. Her most recent books include:

Clean & Hungry
Clean & Hungry OBSESSED!
Hungry Girl Simply 6 (all recipes 6 ingredients or less)

I'm sure libraries would have some of her cookbooks too.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 06:51 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Skinnytaste has cookbooks and a website with lots of great recipes. I find most of her recipes very tasty. Some are labor intensive. They are scaled for feeding a family though.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 07:53 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Does she have a crockpot? If so, there are several Fix It & Forget It cookbooks that have easy healthy recipes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 07:54 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Skinnytaste has cookbooks and a website with lots of great recipes. I find most of her recipes very tasty. Some are labor intensive. They are scaled for feeding a family though.

Carol
Skinnytaste has a meal prep cookbook being released in September. I preordered.

Be careful with the Hungry Girl cookbooks before picking one. I had bought one online and was very disappointed that it was full of processed foods and artificial sweeteners.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 08:03 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Another thumb's up for Skinnytaste.

I also love the YouTube channel Clean & Delicious. She has everything organized in playlists and her how to tips are especially helpful for a person learning to eat healthier. Best way to cut up a cantaloupe, how to steam kale, how to prepare a head of cauliflower, etc.

Good luck to your SIL!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 08:10 AM  
wendug

I'm a fan of Cooking Light cookbooks. I have several editions of their annual cookbooks. They often convert classic recipes to be lighter and focus each month to veggies in season and holiday fare. One can pick up past editions for little money.
Old 06-17-20, 08:13 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Skinnytaste has a meal prep cookbook being released in September. I preordered.
Me too! Very excited for this one.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 10:28 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm in a similar situation. I live alone and hate to cook (although I know how--I just don't enjoy spending loads of time in the kitchen prepping and cleaning up). I have a pretty good cookbook called Healthy Cooking for Two (or just you) by Frances Price (1995), but it's pretty outdated, so I very recently purchased Healthy Cookbook for Two (no author, just Rockridge Press, 2014). I have not tried anything out of it yet, but it looks pretty good. Some recipes are easier than others, but all are mostly no more than two servings. There are also some other tips for stocking your pantry and fridge, etc.

Other than that, I've used weight loss books for some of my recipes or meal ideas because they are often geared for one person (Jessica Smith's Thin in 10 and Kathy Smith's Getting Better All the Time come to mind, but I'm sure there are other similar, more up-to-date books out there. The ones I mentioned may be out-of-print, anyway!).

Also, I have used SparkPeople for many years and have found lots of easy recipes, meal ideas, and healthy food product ideas on there to make healthy eating simple but still enjoyable, varied, and not too boring!

HTH,
Donna

Tags
cookbook, cookbooks, easy recipe