Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-20, 11:52 AM  
Libby

Video Fitness Webpage is Not Secure?

My PC is warning me that this webpage connection is not secure. Does anyone know why?
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 11:56 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

That warning has been there for quite awhile now. There was a thread about it awhile back. IIRC WWendy doesn't use the "ultimate" security since there are no monetary transactions on the site so there isn't the need for it. Someone else please chime in, that's just what I recall since my browser showed not secure at least 6 months ago. Whatever the answer was at the time, it satisfied me that it was okay to be here.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 12:21 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
That warning has been there for quite awhile now. There was a thread about it awhile back. IIRC WWendy doesn't use the "ultimate" security since there are no monetary transactions on the site so there isn't the need for it. Someone else please chime in, that's just what I recall since my browser showed not secure at least 6 months ago. Whatever the answer was at the time, it satisfied me that it was okay to be here.
Yes I recall that thread also. I think what you said is pretty much the gist of it.
Wendy explained it all and it satisfied me too.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 03:01 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

From an older thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Hi, as stated above the “insecure site” message appears because we use a free shared SSL certificate provided by our web hosting company. We DO have site security, but I have not purchased a separate VF owned SSL certificate with our name on it because VF does not sell anything, capture credit card info etc. so the cost is not worth it. The free shared certificate provides the same security except the name on the security certificate belongs to our hosting company. Because the name does not match videofitness.com the browser error message appears. This is a good thing in the case of a phishing situation / you would not want to log in to a site pretending to be amazon with your amazon credentials (for example). But in our case the mismatch goes not mean we are insecure, just that we use a shared security certificate.

It is always good practice to use a unique password here or anywhere else, however.

I will consult with the hosting company to see if there is a way to stop the warnings besides buying our own SSL.
(I also tagged this thread so you can pull up all the older threads on this subject.)
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not secure, security