Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-20, 10:23 AM  
marki64

Constructive criticism to YT instructors

I have my favorite "Go-to's" for YT workouts. For those that do YT workouts, what constructive criticism would you give them?

Sydney Cummings: Love your workouts and you seem so sweet, but you lift too heavy and your form fails. Please lift lighter and be aware of your form because you deliver great workouts. Also, why the long motivational speeches? We get it.

Tracy Steen: Love your workouts and your demeanor, but please put a pony holder in your hair. For some reason it drives me bonkers when hair is flying all over or she wears a baseball cap in the house. Is there a leaky roof? Why?

Linda Wooldridge: Great workouts, but your audio could use some fine tuning. You are very muffled.

Overall, I so appreciate the free variety on you tube and I am not slamming anyone, but these little things that I wish they were more aware of.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 12:02 PM  
Gams

I don’t think people take constructive criticism well. It’s like when someone says, “If I tell you something, promise you won’t get mad?” 😂
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 12:45 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I don’t think people take constructive criticism well. It’s like when someone says, “If I tell you something, promise you won’t get mad?” 😂
I hate that phrase! My husband uses it

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 02:43 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I'll get mad at you just for asking that question!
Old 03-05-20, 06:04 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I'll get mad at you just for asking that question!
Exactly!

It's like when someone starts a sentence with "no offense, but..." and continues to say something that will obviously be offensive. LOL
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 06:49 PM  
marki64

Ok. Nevermind.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:03 PM  
Gams

Petra Kolber told me once that her feelings are hurt when her workouts are criticized and I told her about when I was teaching children’s dance and the parents filled out forms commenting on my classes. When I read the comments, the first one said, “Tammy is too strict with the children.” The very next one said, “Tammy is too lenient with the children.” I took everything with a grain of salt after that.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:04 PM  
bubbles76

I think constructive criticism is a good thing. I don't think instructors would mind hearing it.

For Linda Wooldridge, I wish she were able to use better music. I understand it's expensive though. I don't follow too many youtube instructors. Really only do yoga online when I do .
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 07:13 PM  
BunnyHop

If nobody every critiques their work, how will they improve?

I've been branching out in what I watch and listen to, and I think everybody needs to edit their work more thoughtfully.

Sure, if I like the personalities of the people involved, and routinely check in for new content, I don't mind when things get casual.

On the other hand, I'm there to learn something or to get on with the program, so I guess my tolerance for random chatter and goofiness isn't quite what it might be otherwise.

Podcasts that take ten minutes to get to the point lose me as a listener.
They should think up some snappy way to make their intros and get to the business of sharing what they know.
Old 03-05-20, 07:38 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Ok. Nevermind.
Oh I didn't mean we couldn't criticize! I would hope that instructors would be open to constructive comments. That said, criticism in general isn't always easy to hear so that's kind of where I was headed and didn't get there, and 'constructive' is really the key and your comments definitely are so post on! As we've seen, some instructors don't react well to anything other than glowing comments. That said, I'm much more likely to criticize when I've paid for a workout than one I viewed for free on YT. Depends on the instructor I guess, and whether they would actually use the information to get better.

LOL on the comment about the baseball cap and pony tail holder. I have this image of hair flying everywhere.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
youtube instructors, youtube workouts