Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-19, 01:38 AM  
Libby

knee pain self care

What do you do for knee pain until you can see a doctor? Anything besides the traditional RICE methods?
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 05:51 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm currently rehabbing my leg; I have a number of things wrong with it due to overusing it, not enough stretching, and weak glute muscles. Ultimately, everything impacted my knee and I was in a lot of pain. I recommend going to a physical therapist after you talk to your doctor. They can work with you on relieving the pain and then strengthening exercises to work on whatever imbalance is causing your knee pain.

Personally I've found that RICE does not work for me. Yes, rest is good but not to the point of being inactive. My knee acts up if I don't move throughout the day. So I'd suggest "G" instead of "R" - for Gentle activity. Ice increases the pain for me; whereas heat alleviates my pain. I was doing compression, but anything against my IT band worsened the pain so now - no compression for me. But I do wear a small knee strap.

I've started getting back to a regular workout routine and some days I over do it. At night, trying to sleep, the pain is the worse. Here's a routine I've been following the past week or so:
  • gentle yoga/stretching
  • foam rolling my entire leg, gently around the knee
  • soak in a hot bath with Epsom salts, and a few drops of rosemary essential oil
  • massage my leg with a blend of sesame oil and a drop or two of rosemary oil (sesame oil is said to be warming; rosemary essential oil is said to reduce muscle pain and joint inflammation)
  • ibuprofen (I can only take it at night, it makes me sleepy)
That's been working for me. Good luck! Try to see a professional as soon as possible.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes

Last edited by FirmDancer; 08-03-19 at 08:27 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 09:17 AM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
[*]massage my leg with a blend of sesame oil and a drop or two of rosemary oil (sesame oil is said to be warming; rosemary essential oil is said to reduce muscle pain and joint inflammation)
Thanks for all of the tips. Is the seasme oil an essential oil or in a bottle, like jojoba oil? I love Epsom salt baths and think they help alot. I've used lavender oil in the past, but will look into rosemary.

I struggle with knee pain too. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Plica Syndrome and had cortisone shots in both knees. They still flare up ocassionally. I find doing nothing makes me more stiff. Motion is lotion, so I try to do something to stay mobile and active. I also take Ibuprofen at night and it does help. I have also started massaging my feet, trying to find pressure points. I'm not sure if it's helped, but it does feel good.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injury, knee pain, knee pain cure