Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-18, 08:58 AM  
donnamp

Crazy Question - Colonoscopy Related

Ok, I have what sounds like a crazy question - this year I turned the big 5-0 and with that came a referral from my primary care physician for my first colonoscopy - what a great birthday gift! LOL!

I am familiar w/ the prep and procedure, my DH and some of my friends have already had their colonoscopies. But I started reading up on it a bit more since it is looming in my future and I am wondering - has anyone had a colonoscopy without sedation? From what I have read from various blog posts on the internet, it isn't a painful procedure (most describe mild cramping, a pain level at most of a 3 out of 10) and by avoiding sedation your time in the clinic or hospital is shorter, you don't need someone to drive you (although I would still have my DH drive me, just in case!) and you recover faster as you are not dealing w/ recovering from sedation, too. I also have to admit, that out of all the unpleasantries associated with this procedure from the starvation to the raging diarrhea to the camera up your butt the part that freaks me out the most is the sedation. I just don't like the idea of being knocked out and honestly, I do not tolerate drugs very well at all - I really can't handle much more than a few ibuprofen. I also read that in most countries outside of the U.S. it is done w/out sedation (is that true)?

Anyway - long way around the question - has anyone done it w/out sedation and what are your thoughts about doing it that way?

I have my consult w/ the gastro at the end of March and I plan to ask about it then as well, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had first hand experience w/ doing it this way.

Honestly, if I could do it w/out sedation, I'd feel less anxious about it.

Thanks!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 09:45 AM  
MariC

Hi Donna

According to my Doctor there is now testing that you do at home and send in samples to a local hospital that actually runs tests to see if a Colonoscopy
Is even necessary. Both my Mom (79 yrs old) and Brother in-law (52 yrs old) did it. My doctor told me she would have a assistant set me up with everything but I forgot to get the kit before I left her office. I need to call or stop by and pick up a kit.

Some doctor offices supply you with the supplies and instructions to send off.

My mom said she called her doctor they sent her a kit & stool samples were sent
To a near by local hospital for testing and results were back within a week
So check with your doctor to see about this

I hope this helps

Mari
MariC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 09:48 AM  
bubbles76

Yes, that was one of the options that my doctor gave me as well. With the stool sample kit, you have to do it every year, whereas with the colonoscopy I believe you do it every 10 years (if results come back negative). Could be five years, I forget. Anyway, also have to see if insurance covers it yearly, etc. I am pretty freaked out about the idea of sedation as well, and do not tolerate drugs well either.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 09:58 AM  
sherry7899

Donna, I think you can do those kits only if you don't have any family history of colon cancer. I know you will check it out thoroughly first.

Good luck! I turn 50 next year, and I'm dreading that as well.

My DH has had them twice due to an issue. The first time he felt pretty lousy afterwards, but the second one he was up and outside for a walk within a two hours after getting home.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:21 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I did it, the prep was yucky but the sedation was a breeze, and I am super hypersensitive to most medications. I've lost precious friends to colon cancer at young ages and I believe colonoscopy is still considered the gold standard. Please feel free to PM me and good luck on your decision.

Hugs,
Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:23 AM  
donnamp

Thanks everyone, I will ask about the kits as well as the sedation. Fortunately, no history of colon cancer in my family and I think I am low-risk otherwise based on the other risk factors they consider. My parents never had colonoscopies (I guess it wasn't pushed back then as a screening protocol or they just ignored the recommendation) and they are now in their mid-70's with no issues. So, even if something were to develop now, I would probably not be at risk for awhile based on family history and age of onset.

If I can do the kit and then maybe postpone it for another few years, I would go for that!

Donna

P.S. Thanks Beth!! I am sorry about your friends. We have a friend whose brother developed colon cancer when he was in his 30's so I know it is possible to get it at a young age, even if most are "older".
Old 02-23-18, 10:30 AM  
violingal3

oops double post
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:32 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
I did it, the prep was yucky but the sedation was a breeze, and I am super hypersensitive to most medications.
Same here. I know most people would like to avoid sedation when possible, but I don't think I would want to be without it for a colonoscopy. Like bethlakey said, the prep and anticipation was the worst part, the rest was a breeze.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:33 AM  
donnamp

these are some of the articles I read - about doing it sedation-free.

https://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/h...er-colonoscopy

http://commonhealth.legacy.wbur.org/...ee-colonoscopy

Donna
Old 02-23-18, 10:40 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I've had two...I wasn't completely sedated, it was "twilight," like at the dentist.

And I concur with bethlakey and violingal3.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer, colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep, diverticulitis, medical tests, polyps