Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-16, 07:43 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
http://www.scarymommy.com/pokemon-go-midsummer-boredom/

For 4 straight days (and today will probably be day 5) I've gone out walking, for miles, with my teenage daughter. For me that's just priceless. It may be a temporary fad, but as fads go, there are worse ones.

My son (11) just got into it 2 days ago and I'm not only happy to spending time with him on our walks (yesterday was a solid hour, I completed my 10.000 steps easily for that day ) but also that he himself wants to get up and move!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-16, 08:09 AM  
Rhonda

Doesn't interest me but be careful when walking or in a car. Make sure your aware of your surroundings.

I keep hearing on the new about people walking in front of cars, falling off cliffs, driving while playing which can lead to accidents.

Be careful. I haven't heard of the robbery attempts but that sounds scary.

Glad to hear it is getting people moving but please be careful.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-16, 09:23 PM  
Vantreesta

My cousin showed me the game and explained how it works, including how the robbers got people to come to them. She said she has had the best time with her kids (18yo and 20yo) bc they actually want to spend time with her. The people who have common sense seem to really be benefiting from it!

My dog, from INSIDE the house with the storm door locked, scared away a player today with two barks. I'm all for having fun and being active but not for having people in my yard. He did his job and stopped barking when it was done!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 06:29 AM  
Cher

Vannie, glad your cousin showed you how it works. We live on one of the far outside town roads so there are never Pokemon in our yard......I guess that's both good and bad for us! Glad your dogs scared away the player. I would not want people in my yard either!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 01:54 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
Vannie, glad your cousin showed you how it works. We live on one of the far outside town roads so there are never Pokemon in our yard......I guess that's both good and bad for us! Glad your dogs scared away the player. I would not want people in my yard either!
I suspect that's why my kid got bored with it -- we live pretty rurally and I can't imagine there are many to be found around here -- but I don't know how it works, so who knows?!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 03:02 PM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I suspect that's why my kid got bored with it -- we live pretty rurally and I can't imagine there are many to be found around here -- but I don't know how it works, so who knows?!
Bee, if you are in a rural area, there probably aren't any around you. The Pokemon seem to be in subdivisions and populated areas like towns, shopping areas, movie theaters, churches, parks, etc. My DS has to ride his bike about a 1/3 of a mile from here to see anything or we go up in town
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 04:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
Bee, if you are in a rural area, there probably aren't any around you. The Pokemon seem to be in subdivisions and populated areas like towns, shopping areas, movie theaters, churches, parks, etc. My DS has to ride his bike about a 1/3 of a mile from here to see anything or we go up in town
That makes sense. I was amazed he found any at all around here, and when he did, I thought maybe it was a function of how far you walk and they put them somewhere near you after you'd walked a certain distance, but given how they have to things at museums/libraries/etc, well, I just wasn't sure.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-16, 07:37 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I went to an "Avenue" shopping area yesterday. There were several groups out playing. It really was enjoyable to hear all the laughter. The only downside was one woman turning quickly and slamming right into me, all the while looking into her phone. Good thing I wasn't a light pole; she'd be hurting today.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-16, 10:58 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I went to an "Avenue" shopping area yesterday. There were several groups out playing. It really was enjoyable to hear all the laughter. The only downside was one woman turning quickly and slamming right into me, all the while looking into her phone. Good thing I wasn't a light pole; she'd be hurting today.
Ow, I'm glad you weren't hurt! Someone in Baltimore hit a police car while playing while driving. There are always going to be some idiots

Main Street in Ellicott City has become Pokemon central, with groups of players out at all hours. The county has been very accommodating, putting out porta potties and extra trash cans and even giving out t-shirts over the weekend.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-16, 12:23 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Here come the success stories!
http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/b...812-story.html

On a sadder note, our favorite hunting ground, Main Street, was destroyed by a flash flood 2 weeks ago. One of the two people who drowned had gone there to hunt Pokemon with his girlfriend. But lots of people in the community are pitching in to help rebuild, and my DD and I went to an outdoor market yesterday to help raise money and support the Main Street businesses that lost everything.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active gaming, apps, pokemon, pokemon go