Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-19, 01:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

OLD THREAD ALERT!!

my left heel has been hurting as some of you have heard due to PF. I had a separate thread about using a splint at night, which resulted in my wrapping a yoga strap tightly around my lower calf, ankle, and arch under my foot (see link below). this makes a huge difference - wrapping my ankle/foot this way stops me from pointing my foot at night.

inspired by this thread that I am reviving, I had been adding different floorwork workouts. i'm thrilled to say that each time I did a very intense floorwork segment, my heel (and even hip pain) went away.

I do floorwork maybe 1x/week, but I plan to increase it. especially because I do a lot of walking, this strategy may need to be increased.

recent workouts:
Margaret Richard - Home Improvement (Pat58's post in the vintage dustbunny inspired me!!!)

Patricia Friberg - The Bottom Line and A Core Defined

Debbie Siebers - Firm It Up

I have many more floorwork workouts, so i'm not looking for suggestions. However, if you are suffering from foot or hip pain, floorwork is the ticket.

plantar fasciitis splint and other products to wear at night

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 03:00 PM  
alisoncooks

I'm game to give it a try! I've had persistent pain in my left heel for many months now. I quite like floor work, so that's a plus!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 06:22 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Jeannine, thank you so much for reviving this thread. My long bout with PF is finally resolved now, but I know that I need to keep working on strengthening glutes and hamstrings. I also like floorwork a lot!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 06:33 PM  
bjones

I love Bret C. and glute work, but it seemed to flare my PF. All those hip thrusts and bridges where you are to put your weight into your heels. I now do them with neutral feet, trying to balance the weight over the entire foot and do ok with them. Just wanted to let people know my experience with this. If you have heel pain putting that weight into your heels-STOP!!
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 06:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Margaret Richard does the bridge work unweighted and with varying foot positions: hip's width; together; apart but tapping the knees; feet and knees together; etc. the "hydrant work" has a positive impact on the PF by strengthening the hips.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 04-03-19, 07:29 PM  
wendug

I generally don't do a lot of floor work. Lately I've done more step workouts, more high impact, and taken longer walks with my dogs and my hips feel it! I'm going to have to do more floor work to see if it helps my hips. I have Slim Series Firm it Up which bzar mentioned upthread, but what are some other workouts to try with floorwork?
Old 04-03-19, 07:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I generally don't do a lot of floor work. Lately I've done more step workouts, more high impact, and taken longer walks with my dogs and my hips feel it! I'm going to have to do more floor work to see if it helps my hips. I have Slim Series Firm it Up which bzar mentioned upthread, but what are some other workouts to try with floorwork?
off the top of my head:
Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout
Greg Smithey Buns of Steel
The Firm LB Sculpt II with Libby Heath; this is a short one and less intense
Cathe Legs & Glutes - she has a brief 11 min floorwork section
Cathe Gym Style Legs - she has a 20 min floorwork section
The Firm Vol 5 - has a very intense floorwork segment.

I've tagged this thread to link to other floorwork threads.

Old 04-03-19, 08:21 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
off the top of my head:
Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout
Greg Smithey Buns of Steel
The Firm LB Sculpt II with Libby Heath; this is a short one and less intense
Cathe Legs & Glutes - she has a brief 11 min floorwork section
Cathe Gym Style Legs - she has a 20 min floorwork section
The Firm Vol 5 - has a very intense floorwork segment.

I've tagged this thread to link to other floorwork threads.
Thanks bzar! I don't have any of these workouts , but I'll check to see if any are on YouTube. I've skimmed some of the floorwork threads and have lots of workouts to check into. Barlates is a good starting point as Linda puts a lot of stuff on YouTube.
Old 04-04-19, 07:09 AM  
red1013

Cathe's Pyramid Lower Body and Butts and Guts both have really good floor work sections. Windsor Pilates Bun and Thigh Workout (both the regular and one with the band) are also excellent.
Old 04-04-19, 07:30 AM  
AnMrsDe

Yes, I am a testament for the original Winsor Buns & Thighs! I did that workout once or twice a week after my hip bursitis diagnosis in 2016 and it helped tremendously to strengthen my hips/knees. Knock on wood, my hips are doing well since but I was also doing regularly a yin yoga practice on Youtube that had all the stretches my PT recommended for me to do:

Yin Yoga w/ Michelle Goldstein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCv4tagvnXg

I'm sorry for mentioning this class ad nauseam in threads, LOL, but it really helped me and I've been including it ever since 2016 regularly to keep my hips happy. Note: I also add the bridge exercise since that was the only exercise it omits per my PT. Also, Michelle talks a lot, so I've been known to mute her...it's very easy to follow along!

Last edited by AnMrsDe; 04-04-19 at 10:00 AM. Reason: I guess it was in 2016. Times flies!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, clam, floorwork, glute activation, hip pain, plantar fasciitis, psoas