Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-13, 04:55 PM  
Gyggles1

Plantar Fascitis ?

Sorry if the spelling is wrong but if you get this can you chime in with what you are feeling ?

I went to bed fine last night ( no pain at all )but in the middle of the night I woke knowing this was bugging me yet again, so I get out of bed and I can barely stand so I hop to the bathroom & back to bed & back out for work... well the shower was fun b/c it still hurt to walk on that foot. As the day has went on my foot has gotten better & I can walk on it with a little bit of soreness. The bottom of my heal doesn't really hurt but its the inward / inside of my arch of my left foot that kind of goes up the side a little. I put an ace arch support on it for the day and that seems to help it. It isn't red or swollen but tender.
As a child I had arch supports but then stopped wearing them for whatever reason, I've always walked inward also with my feet. I walk barefoot a LOT, I even workout barefoot almost always. Yesterday in fact was Leslie's 4 mile Power Walk barefoot so maybe the jumping is what brought it on once I relaxed and went to sleep ?

Anyway, just wondering if you have it if this sounds about the same.
Thanks!
Laura

Love this message by Jessica Smith
"every step you take is one step closer to your goal"
Gyggles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 05:29 PM  
raeven

When I had it last year through this year...the pain was on the inside part of my heel...about where the arch ends on the inside edge basically. Really hard to explain that spot eh?

Anyway, yes it would hurt less throughout the day as you walked on it more and more. Then hurt like....really bad..after you've been laying/sitting down for a while, and then go to get up and start walking. Which is why it hurts so bad during your first steps in the morning. My podiatrist described it as the tendon being contracted and fine all night...trying to heal itself, then when you stand up to walk first thing in the morning, you stretch the tendon all the way back out and tear it there all over again. Thus the cycle continues and it never gets to heal.

Keep you arch supported, always...and hopefully it will heal and feel better in no time. I also work out barefoot only...I only ever wear shoes/sandals when I have to! My right foot finally healed after quite a few months. I recently started to get it in my left foot, only this time I knew exactly what to do, and it went away really fast, thank goodness! Now it just barely bothers me at all, very rarely.

Here are two really easy to use tools that helped me, besides wearing birkenstocks and also having arch supports in my shoes...

http://www.amazon.com/Pedifix-PediFi...s=arch+bandage
This I had during my first foot..I used it fairly often. On my left foot however it just wasn't as comfortable and hurt more...so I then came across this!

http://www.futuro-usa.com/wps/portal...4529207&rt=rud

Which I LOVE! I started a post about it on the forum here already...but truly, I wore this all the time and my left foot felt much better, the pain was much less, and it healed pretty darn fast this time! Highly recommend it. I found it at cvs, which I think is like the only place that carries it. Oh and be sure to look up stretches to do for it as well and do those! Hope it goes away soon if it is indeed PF!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 06:27 PM  
Leonana

I have it in my left foot. It is in the same spot raeven described - on my heel but next to the arch on the inside.

Birkenstocks were the number one thing that helped. I felt immediate relief when I started wearing them.

I also bought new tennis shoes and put in Dr. Scholl's orthotic inserts. If I do low impact, I exercise barefoot.

Also, stretching frequently. I still have a slight soreness in my foot, especially after exercising, so I do a lot of stretches during the day. One important tip, that I read on a PF thread here at VF, was to stretch as soon as you get out of bed in the morning. The calf muscle is stiff and you tear it again as soon as you walk. So, I stretch every morning before I walk out of my bedroom.
Old 10-16-13, 09:12 PM  
Gyggles1

Thank you for the info.... I looked at the links you sent me and I think it would help a little but some of my pain is a little further back from what they would be supporting if that makes sense ? Oh gosh, I took my support off before seeing the reviews tonight after looking at a video and wow does it ever hurt tonight. I guess I am not working out again I've been doing so good too!

Old 10-16-13, 09:59 PM  
raeven

If you do indeed have PF, the pain is not in the arch itself...it is on the heel. What the arch supports do is to elevate the tendon that stretches from the front of the foot, to the heel. When it is not elevated, or held up by arch supports...it stretches all the way out and flattens with every step, thus tearing the tendon and not allowing it to heal. I hope that makes sense. Just look around at pics and videos describing what happens better than me! So the foot arch supports like I linked are there to hold that tendon up in the arch, they aren't to cushion your foot. By keeping the arch up, it allows it to heal properly.

Like Leonana said, when I first went to the podiatrist over this..I had *just* learned about and bought my birkenstock sandals. I literally wore them from my first step every morning until I laid down to bed at night. Now my first run with this, I lived with and dealt with the pain for 5 months before going to the doctor for it. So it was really bad, and it took many months to heal up. My second round that I just have pretty much healed up from...I started working it immediately, it probably lasted 1-1.5 months. And it never hurt as bad as my right foot did either because keeping that arch supported really relieves alot of the pain. Also as mentioned, when you wake up....move you foot around in circles, pull your toes back as you stretch....stretch it out before walking. It helps alot. If, as happens, like in the middle of the night or whatever, and you just *have* to walk and can't get your sandals on or whatever...walk on the ball of that foot only and limp your way to where you need to be. Just try not to do that too often...I mostly did that for potty runs in the middle of the night or as soon as I woke up and couldn't wait
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 10:18 PM  
BunnyHop

In terms of working out, kettlebell swings are no problem for me, PF-wise, and really seem to help.

For me, working to maintain flexibility in my hips and legs really does make the pain go away.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 12:05 AM  
msladybug

I've got PF........

My understanding is that plantar fasciitis is in the heel...but also where the heal meets the arch toward the inside of the foot. I've heard that spot referred to as the "insertion point". I think that's where the fascia all come together and is thick and fibrous.

You should google "posterior tibialis tendonitis" It causes pain mid foot, the arch. I have that also. I've had this all along with the PF, but failed to get this condition diagnosed until recently, so was only treating for PF. Getting the right DX can help you figure out the fix for it.

Does it bother you to raise up onto your toes? (that's my PTT) Or does it bother you more when your heel strikes the ground? (PF)
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 10:47 PM  
Gyggles1

I went to the Dr today and he says Gout that I have but waiting on lab results to confirm that. We took xrays so no break so that's good but he said if I had PF I'd be in pain or sore when he'd be touching my heal and I am not and my inner arch is all swollen & red which he also said PF doesn't do that so I wait for the final word tomorrow. Ugh!!!! I also need to stay off my feet as much as possible I've been doing so good with my workouts too!

Old 10-17-13, 11:06 PM  
ezrida

There are many places in the internet that detail the symptoms of plantar fasciitis. There is a good one here: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofee..._Symptoms.html
If you have many of these symptoms it is probably plantar fasciitis.
I had it and I think you should do go to visit a doc.

... OK Gout is treated much easier and faster than plantar fasciitis.
ezrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 11:39 PM  
msladybug

Oh darn,

It is my understanding that Gout is a joint issue, and is most typical in the first joint of the big toe...and yes, it can have redness and swelling. And I've read that gout attacks are often in the middle of the night.

I saw my podiatrist this week and he said my arch was swollen from PTT...tendonitis in the arch. I don't think I've had redness however.

If your tests aren't conclusive for gout, I'd recommend you see a podiatrist. A general physician might tend to think...foot pain = plantar fasciitis and not consider tendonitis in the arch. Did your doctor check for tenderness in the arch area, or just the heal?
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis