Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-13, 10:03 AM  
Sophie

I had to look at it in phases. Initially, when it was at the severe stage when I couldn't get out of bed without hobbling, I went with orthotics, icing, and rolling the sole of the foot on golf balls (or any rolly thing you have. As time went on, I did this too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
2 - wearing well-made, supportive shoes all the time.

stretches with a Theraband, yoga toes and/or a wooden roller when my heels think about hurting.
Supportive shoes everywhere, and birkenstocks in the house, lots and lots of stretching. But almost by accident, because I started doing judo, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Like others, going barefoot cured my PF. Now I always workout barefoot, go barefoot around the house and wear minimal shoes.
So, I think it can be approached in stages - some sort of intervention in the acute stage and while the inflammation heals, then going on to retraining the foot muscles and increasing their support and flexibility.

Every once in a while I feel a tightness, which I think is exacerbated by winter shoes and dress shoes. In that case, Katy Bowman's calf stretch is my go-to that can keep it from progressing to PF.

I just found this little ABC segment with Katy that has the calf stretch, plus a few other things that are super helpful for PF: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ach&id=7294801

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 10:17 AM  
ktlc
VF Supporter

Immediately after my workouts I soaked my feet. One tub of hot water, as hot as I could stand, and one of cold water, as cold as I could stand. I would alternate between each for as long as I could keep my feet in for a period of about 15 minutes total. Completely eliminated all inflammation. Between that and stretching my PF went away.

"The body achieves what the mind believes" - Unknown
ktlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 12:14 PM  
knitter_mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Wow, even though you didn't find the video -- thank you very much for describing this! I have the same little two pound weight with handle as you do (note I only have one with a handle because my dog chewed off the other one) and I just now went and did that little foot workout. It works! I can't wait to see how it feels later in the day and tomorrow. Thank you, thank you!!!
Very cool! I'm glad I was able to pay it forward.

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 12:25 PM  
difit

When I had PF. I switch to Low Impact for for a few weeks. I did stretching and new inserts for my shoes. I froze a 16oz plastic bottle water and rolled it back and forth on my foot.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 12:28 PM  
msladybug

I got a fitbit about 18 months ago....increased my activity....and got PF. Had PF off and on for about 9 months. Then the perfect storm came and I had to have multiple tests and surgical procedures for unrelated vascular and other issues. My body was under assault from reactions to the anethesia/iv meds. In the mist of this, when I was under doctors orders to not exercise, the PF came on for good. Two months after that I could barely hobble. With resolution of the AVF issue, I committed myself to doing whatever it takes to fix the PF. Only I haven't found what it takes.

I've been sidelined since September. I've been mostly housebound, anything over 5 minutes on my feet causes a flareup. Been to the podiatrist, physical therapy. Did supportive shoes, inserts, a night boot, all sorts of stretching and manipulation, cortisone, iceing, taping, and a boot cast. Everything mentioned in this thread...I've tried. I'm so confused now...because PF treatments can be polar opposite.

The doctor and PT don't know what else to do. I now have a handicapped parking permit...and a wheelchair. Two years ago I was a fit person doing CLX and NROL and dancing and walking....now i'm a person in a wheelchair when we go places. Unfortunately, the chair and permit are not enough to mitigate the problems I have doing an errand.

My husband got me a Sun trike for my birthday, and it is what is keeping me sane. I feel young when I am on the trike. I don't hurt...and I can get out in the sunshine. I try not to think about it, but I worry that I will never be able to be on my feet again. I grieve wandering around the shops....going hiking...or just doing the things people do, like going to the grocery store even.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 12:48 PM  
cam522

Wow msladybug, I so sorry for what you're going through, I've read about cases of PF that can be totally debilitaing, hopefully something will work for you soon.

Mine took about 6 months for it to totally go away, another thing I did was sleep wearing a very very light shoe so my foot would have some kind of support.

...Cheryl

JMBR graduate 06/13
BJ Gaddour's MetaShred 11/02/2019
cam522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 12:58 PM  
msladybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam522 View Post
Wow msladybug, I so sorry for what you're going through, I've read about cases of PF that can be totally debilitaing, hopefully something will work for you soon.

Mine took about 6 months for it to totally go away, another thing I did was sleep wearing a very very light shoe so my foot would have some kind of support.

...Cheryl
Cam, what kind of shoe worked for you to sleep in? I get toe and foot cramps as well in the evening and night. The weight of the covers on a toe can bring them on. The doctor says the cramps are unrelated...but I'm not convince that the cramps aren't keeping the foot inflamed or the PF causing the cramps. The right shoes at night could help prevent the cramps.

I've considering taping those tonque depressors to the bottom of my toes and feet to stop the cramping...but if I could find some shoes I could sleep in..and walk to the bathroom in, that would be a lot better than taping sticks to the bottoms of my feet.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 01:12 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Msladybug, what a mess! Have you tried alternative therapies as well - acupuncture, acupressure, hypnotism, an herbalist? I'm not necessarily an advocate of them all in every circumstance, but if you've exhausted what traditional Western medicine can do for you, always worth it to seek alternatives.

I hope it gets better for you soon. ((((Hugs))))
Old 05-17-13, 01:49 PM  
cam522

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
Cam, what kind of shoe worked for you to sleep in? I get toe and foot cramps as well in the evening and night. The weight of the covers on a toe can bring them on. The doctor says the cramps are unrelated...but I'm not convince that the cramps aren't keeping the foot inflamed or the PF causing the cramps. The right shoes at night could help prevent the cramps.

I've considering taping those tonque depressors to the bottom of my toes and feet to stop the cramping...but if I could find some shoes I could sleep in..and walk to the bathroom in, that would be a lot better than taping sticks to the bottoms of my feet.
I have a lightweight Nike Running shoe, this one is a waaay newer version of the pair I have

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...981+4294967132

It's so light I didn't kick it off at night or kick my husband, I slept on the opposite side of him so I didn't. It took a night or two to get use to it but it was so nice to actually be able to walk after getting out of bed.

Good Luck!!
...Cheryl

JMBR graduate 06/13
BJ Gaddour's MetaShred 11/02/2019
cam522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 02:58 PM  
ardnas

wearing shoes with good arch support or inserts
daily massage with foot massager
stretching upon waking and right before bed
not going barefoot -ever
using Yoga Toes