Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-13, 07:22 PM  
mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Classical Stretch foot exercises.
Jackie,

Any episodes in particular? I remember doing one episode and my PF flared up big time... I sort of "benched" CS because of that but I am willing to give it another try....
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 07:27 PM  
hypnomoon

Stretching and laying off high impact movements for 8 months. It's been 4 years and hasn't come back since. I also started running 2 years ago. I am worried that it will come back so I stretch religiously and wear some damn good running shoes.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 07:31 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes View Post
Jackie,

Any episodes in particular? I remember doing one episode and my PF flared up big time... I sort of "benched" CS because of that but I am willing to give it another try....
Do you have season 8? I got some nice relief from the last part of episode 821 -- the seated stretch. I just re-visited it this morning for that very reason. In my notes I have that 826 and 827 were also good for my PF. I may be hitting those up in the next few days!!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 08:47 PM  
mercedes

Thanks, Jackie...
I will be checking those episodes...
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 09:04 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

Based on these responses it seems everyone's feet respond differently, but for me personally, it all ended once I started exercising barefoot. No, it is not for everyone, but most brands of shoes just slay my feet and cause PF flare ups. I also had to reexamine my everyday shoes and went for a brand that allowed me to stand up and walk for long periods of time. I also cannot wear heels or boots for longer than a few hours.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 09:04 PM  
tigger

I've had PF & heel spurs in both feet for years. I've seen a podiatrist, worn orthotics, stretched, iced, taped, and had cortisone shots with no relief.

I started working out barefoot on an anti-fatigue mat (during a painful period), doing everything but step (kickboxing, LI, kettlebells, weights, etc.). I did step on my mat barefoot but without the step. I even did some high impact (short bursts).

This has completely healed my PF. I haven't been to the podiatrist, iced, etc. since 2008. I do everything barefoot still except walking outside and the occasional step workout. I wear flip flops, cute sandals, etc. now all of the time with no pain at all.

I have no idea how to explain it (other than possibly increased strength & flexibility in my feet). I know that the podiatrist that I was seeing would not approve, but what he was prescribing for me did nothing to help.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 10:48 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes View Post
Jackie,

Well, she "sprinkles" it in through a lot of episodes. I did 818 tonight and she had feet exercises in that one. I'd just look for one that is "feet and knees" or whatever. Maybe only do part of the exercises.

My brother is a podiatrist and he does not approve of what I've done for PF. Icing did not help me. Miranda's idea of "breaking up the articulation", stretching my calves, and seeing a massage therapist who is rather ingenious with his treatment of sports injuries was what helped me. For me, a past gymnastic ankle injury and very tight calves were part of the problem.

I do buy very specific, supportive shoes as was mentioned upthread. Naots and Dansko clogs are my go-tos.

I hope you get your PF resolved!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 10:54 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My cures:

1 - two cortisone shots in each heel. One lasted for about two weeks; the second has lasted forever (fingers crossed).

2 - wearing well-made, supportive shoes all the time. I have a pair of Sanita clogs for my house shoes/slippers. All my workout shoes have excellent motion control and support (New Balance crosstrainers, Brooks running shoes). I can't buy inexpensive shoes/boots for everyday wear because they don't have the arch support or thick sole I need; Cole Haan and Donald J Pliner are two widely-available brands that work for me.

3 - stretches with a Theraband, yoga toes and/or a wooden roller when my heels think about hurting.
Old 05-16-13, 11:00 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Like others, going barefoot cured my PF. Now I always workout barefoot, go barefoot around the house and wear minimal shoes. I cannot explain why but I haven't had a flare up in years.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 01:14 AM  
knitter_mom

I brought a new Fitbit in May 2012, and started having PT flareups in September, and while I would get temporary relief with the standard stretches, I remember I couldn't do any of my favorite workouts in September/beginning October, it just hurt too much. I was on VF and someone linked to a page of runner's stretches, which included this weird one that involved hanging a sock with a weight in the toe from your toes (you were sitting down, with the heel of the foot on the chair and toes hanging out in the air). I instead went and got my little two pound weight with a white flexible handle on it and used it instead. I put my foot through the handle, sat on chair and placed my right heel on chair as well with toes hanging off edge. Then I just lifted the weight up and down, 15-20 times. I had immediate relief right away, no hobbling and no pain, but I thought it was temporary. It wasn't until the next morning when I awoke without hobbling in pain until I was warmed up AND I could do a kickboxing workout that I realized that little stretch had pretty much cured my flareup! Now I only get flareups when I go for serious hikes uphill and don't keep up with maintenance stretching, but I can at least stop it in its tracks once it starts. I'm also a fan of being barefoot as much as possible, and workout without shoes as well.

By the way, I don't expect this stretch to work miracles for everyone, but it is worth a try. I also looked for that original link, but no luck, sorry.

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach nicole, plantar fasciitis, sparkpeople