Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-12, 08:12 AM  
isebelleg44

Please click on the tag below. I started two threads looking for suggestions on managing PF. I developed it this year and VFers provided wonderful advice in those two threads. I feel your pain and it stinks that thing you love to do might aggravate it. I laid off high impact for awhile and that seemed to help me. I also did the stretches suggested in the threads. Massaging a tennis ball on my tight calves helped a lot.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be pain free soon!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 09:47 AM  
raeven

I too have had PF since back in the spring. I read soooo many ideas to try, from one end of the spectrum to the other. So I instead tried to take it easy and just hoped it would go away. Well, too many months later it hadn't.

I finally went to the podiatrist last week. I now am wearing Birkenstocks *all day long*...I don't take any steps at all without them. They are made with awesome arch supports and sort of mold to your foot. Plus the sandals are super easy and quick to slip in and out of all day as needed. I also have a couple of stretches to do plus rolling the tennis ball under it...I do these things 3 times a day. Plus the doc put me on anti-inflammatory meds twice a day, and told me to come back in three weeks. Personally, I've just been throwing on socks and still wearing my birks out and about...but he recommended for regular shoes to either get the birkenstock insoles, or to get the Superfeet ones which he said are way cheaper, but great! Also good supportive shoes that are comfortable, but only bend a little up in the toe area.

Since starting all these things I have definitely felt improvement. It takes time and is a process so don't expect overnight miracles. But doing this routine has helped alot. Before, when I read to never walk barefoot seemed crazy to me.. so I ignored it. The doc showed me how when we walk barefoot, it flattens out that tendon and stretches it, thus constantly re-aggitating where it was injured, and never allowing it to heal. That is why walking with the arch support *at all times* is crucial to allowing it to heal. I didn't quite get it before, so just wanted to explain that for anybody else reading that doesn't either.

Like I said, it's helping, very slowly, but surely! The throbbing and shooting pains are far far less frequent and don't hardly last at all! So, getting there!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis