Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-12, 10:38 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

All of the above advice is good, but I think, in your case, you should probably not be walking on your foot for a while. You are irritating it, and slowing the healing process. I would concentrate on your abs and upper body for now if you don't have access to a cycle or elliptical.

Yesterday, I helped a friend move some furniture. Guess what, my PF flared up a bit. I guess you never know what will irritate it.
Old 10-29-12, 11:12 AM  
Whimzee

I had Plantar faschiatis too really bad about a year ago. And as Jane said, you never know when it'll flair up again. Thank goodness I found gel heel cups that I wear all the time now. Walmart carries them in their pharmacy section in addition to their shoe department. They're blue, made by SofComfort and only costs around $5. I find that as long as I cushion my heel, it keeps the PF at bay.

Oh - they do tend to slip sideways in your shoes but I've solved this problem by super gluing them inside! Hope you feel better soon -
Whimzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 12:18 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
via downdog.
Do you mean downward facing dog? That one puts too much strain on my wrists, so I do other things.

It's still true that for me, making sure to stretch feet/ankles/calves/hamstrings has been key. Focusing on just the feet/ankles wasn't enough.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 01:12 PM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Do you mean downward facing dog? That one puts too much strain on my wrists, so I do other things.

It's still true that for me, making sure to stretch feet/ankles/calves/hamstrings has been key. Focusing on just the feet/ankles wasn't enough.
You can do dolphin instead of down dog. The only thing that helped my PF was time. Stretching and icing didn't really have that great of an effect.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 06:21 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My PF was most helped by stretching and shoes. When mine first occured back in 2004? 2005?, I switched to shoes with good arch support and cushioning and the pain went away. I had a flareup within the last two weeks that was extremely painful when I was barefoot (in the shower, at my Pilates class) but almost disappeared when I put on my Sanita clogs.
Old 10-30-12, 11:35 AM  
faith458

I switched to shoes with arch support too. I stretch when I need it. The shoes were a big help along with the stretches and PT.
Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:51 PM  
Dabbadooey

I forgot to mention that chaco sports sandals were a huge help!
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-12, 10:53 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I had the beginnings of plantar fascitis early this year. I had been wearing barefoot shoes for about a year, and one week I did extra exercise walking with less break and less stretching and the PF to myself.

I had started seeing a PT for my back, and when I mentioned the foot pain, they wanted me to stop wearing the barefoot shoes. I told them that the shoes had done so much for my back that I was very reluctant to do so. So, the pushed me to do my stretches, gave me another one and also, gave me detailed coaching on my posture. Oddly enough, the conscious posture change seemed to make the biggest difference, although it took maybe a month from that time. The pain is gone now.

PS. I did backed off slightly on my exercise walking (started having more 7K and 10K step days instead of consistent 12K steps days.) I am also careful to do my stretching now too and take two rest days instead of just 1 (or zero which is what got me in trouble to begin with.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-12, 07:58 AM  
zippity

Wow, a lot of us have PF.

I had it for about six months; the only thing that made it better was to switch from impact to yoga, and to always wear sneakers/supportive shoes, even in the house. No barefoot, except in yoga class. Ice, tape, inserts, motrin, helped, but didn't make the problem go away.
Old 11-01-12, 08:11 AM  
michl43

I now found what is working for me. Lots of gentle stretches and massage with small ball and tennis elbow roller, taping my arch, and wearing Keen Whisper sandals. I started with the taping and Keen Whisper just yesterday, and my foot actually felt pain free all day. I'm going to continue this routine permanently till it fully heals and after to prevent reoccurrence. Duct tape works great.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis